THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M Performance Steering Wheel options (advice please)

10-02-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Question M Performance Steering Wheel options (advice please)

I have just one more mod to do on my wish list: the steering wheel upgrade. I'm undecided whether to install any of the two choices of M Performance alcantara steering wheels, because there are two, right?

The one with electronic display (part number 32302230189)
The "simpler" one with red center (part number 32302230188)
Name:  bmw_m_performance_steering_wheel_2_race_display_3.jpg
Views: 52243
Size:  165.1 KB

Name:  bmw_m_performance_steering_wheel_2_wo_display_2.jpg
Views: 16595
Size:  127.1 KB

To be honest I'm undecided due to my own ignorance . I'm more interested on the first one with the electronic display, but since my M235i came with no tech package, I don't have a clue if the information on the small LCD will display or not, or if that has no relation about not having the tech package. As some of you know, I live in Guatemala (Central America) and in here, we do not have as much experts on this matter as in the US/UK, so I need to be sure that it'll work before I go with the investment.

I don't know if the paddle shifters that come with my M Sport steering wheel should be simply moved from this to the M Performance one.

So, someone in the community of F22s that has any of these two steering wheels that can give me some pointers/advice, or someone that knows about this to help me out? THANKS A LOT!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

When you buy either wheel you will need transfer the switches and paddles from old to new wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
When you buy either wheel you will need transfer the switches and paddles from old to new wheel
Cheers Pave, thanks, but is it really that simple? How about the one that comes with the display and shift lights? Is that installation as simple?

Do you have any of those two steering wheels? Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
worktolivelife
Private
Rep
Drives: Mine

I enquired about the race display version, Bmw technician said it's basically a swop over using the normal functions available on the steering wheel fitted, the information and features are built in so to speak regardless of vehicle spec and will perform as advertised. Cool big boys toy, not sure of its real day to day value but fun and "pleasure costs!"
Anyone comment on how the alacantara would wear on a steering wheel I can see it getting a patina all of its own in a short time and difficult to keep looking good?.
And of course there would be the added cost of some additional alacantara bits so things matched inside
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #5
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
I enquired about the race display version, Bmw technician said it's basically a swop over using the normal functions available on the steering wheel fitted, the information and features are built in so to speak regardless of vehicle spec and will perform as advertised. Cool big boys toy, not sure of its real day to day value but fun and "pleasure costs!"
Anyone comment on how the alacantara would wear on a steering wheel I can see it getting a patina all of its own in a short time and difficult to keep looking good?.
And of course there would be the added cost of some additional alacantara bits so things matched inside
Man, you couldn't explained it better!! Thanks a lot for that and most about the alcantara wearing out, that's a very good point. Now I'm having second thoughts, spending that amount of money on something that would easily wear, hhmmm, I might save a little bit more money and purchase the LSD
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
worktolivelife
Private
Rep

The M Performance MPE and the steering wheel are the ultimate in car entertainment toys. I'd still love one!
Found this installation video not M235 but would guess installation is similar

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife View Post
The M Performance MPE and the steering wheel are the ultimate in car entertainment toys. I'd still love one!
Found this installation video not M235 but would guess installation is similar

Thank you man!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Alex

I can't comment on specifics of installing MP race wheel in terms wiring coding etc.

I upgraded my '13 m sport wheel to newer '14 msport wheel and swapped the paddles for m5/6 ones and same for the y trim piece.

Took about 30 mins to swap wheels over and another 30 mins to prep new wheel ie fit paddles and fit trim in advance of the wheel swap
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
Alex

I can't comment on specifics of installing MP race wheel in terms wiring coding etc.

I upgraded my '13 m sport wheel to newer '14 msport wheel and swapped the paddles for m5/6 ones and same for the y trim piece.

Took about 30 mins to swap wheels over and another 30 mins to prep new wheel ie fit paddles and fit trim in advance of the wheel swap
Don't worry Pave, thanks for the information.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

I installed the non-electronic alcantara model in my M235i and just love it. Feels just right and makes driving the car just that bit more special. Keeping it looking like new is not that hard, just some light fabric cleaner mixed with water, and a soft bristle brush and it keeps looking like just came out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #11
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
I installed the non-electronic alcantara model in my M235i and just love it. Feels just right and makes driving the car just that bit more special. Keeping it looking like new is not that hard, just some light fabric cleaner mixed with water, and a soft bristle brush and it keeps looking like just came out of the box.
Thank you Delnari for sharing your experience with the steering wheel and the tip about how to take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

There are new Alcantara specific cleaners now with its increased popularity. Audi S4/5 owners with Alcantara over 4 years old all claim it still looks like new if well taken care of. Not as forgiving as leather, but if you are the slightest bit OCD, it should be fine.

For me, I like the non-electronic one as I ordered the AT, not manual. The savings alone would pay for some of the other Alcantara/CF interior bits. And like the others said, I would rather have it all matching / coordinated.
      10-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #13
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

I appreciate sharing those remarks with me hoppy
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

I have the electronic steering wheel

I love it. Don't regret the purchase at all.

The led shift indicators are actually useful so you don't need to look down at your tach. Also, you get oil and water temperature and you can also do 1/4 mile times, lap & sector times and measure g-force. There's even a mode for efficient dynamics which I hardly use

This will shine on the track when I finally take her next season. I would say either way is a nice upgrade over the standard M sport wheel. Definitely gives it more of a race car feel and feels nice in your hands. Worthy purchase.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 12:18 AM   #15
BRM6
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328/335/M235i/M4 - Current M6

Oil & Water temp? Nice!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #16
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post

The led shift indicators are actually useful so you don't need to look down at your tach. Also, you get oil and water temperature and you can also do 1/4 mile times, lap & sector times and measure g-force. There's even a mode for efficient dynamics which I hardly use

This will shine on the track when I finally take her next season. I would say either way is a nice upgrade over the standard M sport wheel. Definitely gives it more of a race car feel and feels nice in your hands. Worthy purchase.

Good luck
Thanks for your feedback man, I'm so crazy about that steering wheel but not so crazy about the time frame that it'll last in "good" condition so
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
worktolivelife
Private
Rep

I got a price of £1062 am tempted! Decided Would swop over the aluminium trim from original, not a fan of the dry Carbonfibre other additions to the interior " just to match". Do have concerns over the alacatra and White stitching though keeping it looking like new over time . Maybe I ll view it as a natural patina and it will just enhance the overall look
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT
Quote:

Good luck
Thanks for your feedback man, I'm so crazy about that steering wheel but not so crazy about the time frame that it'll last in "good" condition so
You're welcome!

I wouldn't worry about the alcantara wearing out. Take care of it and it'll last you as long as you want it to.

I just picked up BMW Natural Care interior cleaner which cleans alcantara. It was $8.95.

Imo, if you've been eyeing it up. Go for it!

Brian Keller at Sun Moror Cars BMW can hook you up on a awesome price. I think I got mine for $1,230 or so
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #19
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome!

I wouldn't worry about the alcantara wearing out. Take care of it and it'll last you as long as you want it to.

I just picked up BMW Natural Care interior cleaner which cleans alcantara. It was $8.95.

Imo, if you've been eyeing it up. Go for it!

Brian Keller at Sun Moror Cars BMW can hook you up on a awesome price. I think I got mine for $1,230 or so
Many thanks vinny, but I finally declined to go for it I know the steering wheel is beautiful and eye catching, but spending that much amount of money on something that will wear more fast than the OEM steering wheel... hhhmmmm...

I've just installed the Performance alcantara & carbon fiber interior, I'll see how the alcantara behaves with dust, sun, cleaning (with a special alcantara cleaner product).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #20
nzw212
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235XI, Maserati, Ducati

I have the basic one without the electronic display and I love it. I agree with others who said it feels a little more special.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 11:30 PM   #21
ben_monks1397
Registered
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Performance Steering Wheel with display on 220d??

Hey guys.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Performance steering wheel v2 with the display can be installed on my f22 220d 2014 with M-Package.

Thank you for your help guys!!
Appreciate 0