THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Creating a CF hood? (price and procedure?)

10-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Spieltag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW m235 AW/KR-B

Garage List
2015 BMW m235  [0.00]
Creating a CF hood? (price and procedure?)

Hey all, maybe someone with extensive body knowledge and fabrication could help me understand the procedure here.

I know many "cheaper" CF hoods have a fiberglass or aluminum skeleton with the CF single layer top.

I was wanting to see if someone could fabricate a GTR style vented hood (what I had on my e46) but so far most manufacturers have said they are not going to make one. (Seibon, vorsteiner, Vis). They did however make one for the 1m

I was just wondering what the procedure would be if I found a shop to custom make one (powerbulge + vents). Would it be like $10k to go through the molding process etc or would making a fiberglass one be way easier to sculpt the bulge and cut the vents.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieltag View Post
Hey all, maybe someone with extensive body knowledge and fabrication could help me understand the procedure here.

I know many "cheaper" CF hoods have a fiberglass or aluminum skeleton with the CF single layer top.

I was wanting to see if someone could fabricate a GTR style vented hood (what I had on my e46) but so far most manufacturers have said they are not going to make one. (Seibon, vorsteiner, Vis). They did however make one for the 1m

I was just wondering what the procedure would be if I found a shop to custom make one (powerbulge + vents). Would it be like $10k to go through the molding process etc or would making a fiberglass one be way easier to sculpt the bulge and cut the vents.
Your best bet is to buy a Seibon hood and customize it with vents. You can buy a mold on alum powerdone kit from schmeidman too.

Vorsteiner's 'GTR' Hood was built for the 128i/135i before the 1m was even announced. Its an older style hood and the shape of the venting matches the style of the side gills on an e46. Stylistically it looks best on cars from that design period.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

I just got my Seibon CF hood installed on Thursday and I'm loving it! I haven't seen their GTR style hood but I'll be getting that as soon as it's available. Price is pretty affordable I believe at around $900. You can buy mine after SEMA and modify it with vents if you like

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:53 AM   #4
Spieltag
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW m235 AW/KR-B

Garage List
2015 BMW m235  [0.00]
For me Im gonna have to color match a majority of it or vinyl the front of the top of the nose... not digging the line across the hood with the color split. That being said, that is a sexy hood and I love me some CF for the larger body parts. The vents would also help with any heat soak from a new intake...

I'm not sure how I would paint it though with that line there... my old one looked like this

(Sidebar: where did you get your roundels e46m3?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #5
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

If your inclined to due it yourself, heres a video of how to do it with relatively inexpensive materials.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #6
Piper666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 218D (sold) 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post
I just got my Seibon CF hood installed on Thursday and I'm loving it! I haven't seen their GTR style hood but I'll be getting that as soon as it's available. Price is pretty affordable I believe at around $900. You can buy mine after SEMA and modify it with vents if you like

That looks awesome! I have been eyeing up the vented version for abit now and seeing this is pushing me to pull the trigger.

That along with AC Schnitzer's brand new CF diffuser.

Did you have to mount the hinges and catches yourself??
Appreciate 0