THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Order of application: Opti-coat, clear bra, CF spoiler

10-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Order of application: Opti-coat, clear bra, CF spoiler

These are probably really dumb questions, but I know far more about motors than I do about exterior upkeep, so it occurred to me to ask.

I am leasing with a strong possibility of buying at the end, so I want to protect the car and also dress it up with some CF accessories. I have already set my mind on Opti-coat, and most likely a clear bra, but the CF spoiler could wait. Two questions:

(1) It seems like common sense to do Opti-coat first then put the clear bra over that coated surface. Anything I should know that would make me do otherwise?

(2) It would obviously provide extra protection for the CF wing if I were to install it then do Opti-coat. But would it cause any problems when in three years I possibly remove that CF spoiler and replace it with the stock one that has a smaller footprint on the trunk lid, leaving part of the trunk without a coat? Or on the flip side, would I encounter problems by adding the CF wing later to an already Opti-coated surface? Here I am also thinking about the possibility of later spoiler removal and the effect of adhesives leaving an imbalance between coated and non-coated surface area.

Thanks for your patience with my uninformed self.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

(1) Do NOT put any wax/sealant down before getting the car clear bra'd. It will not adhere to the surface properly. Most clear bra shops should/would prep the area they were going to be clear bra'ing with a isopropyl alcohol wipe down anyways to remove whatever wax/sealant is currently on the car. So coating an area you plan to clear bra is just a waste of product (assuming you're clear bra'ing very shortly after applying the opticoat).

(2) The only problem with installing the wider footprint spoiler is, after a few years, it may be discolored from the fact that the rest of the car has been exposed to the elements over the years, and the area underneath the spoiler has not. It takes a while for this to happen, but is something to consider if you plan on keeping the car for 5+ years.

Last edited by d00t; 10-09-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00t View Post
(1) Do NOT put any wax/sealant down before getting the car clear bra'd. It will not adhere to the surface properly. Most clear bra shops should/would prep the area they were going to be clear coating with a isopropyl alcohol wipe down anyways to remove whatever wax/sealant is currently on the car. So coating an area you plan to clear bra is just a waste of product (assuming you're clear bra'ing very shortly after applying the opticoat).

(2) The only problem with installing the wider footprint spoiler is, after a few years, it may be discolored from the fact that the rest of the car has been exposed to the elements over the years, and the area underneath the spoiler has not. It takes a while for this to happen, but is something to consider if you plan on keeping the car for 5+ years.
Welp, my idiocy is confirmed. Glad I asked, as I had a bad feeling about it.

For (2), I am not too worried about the discoloration as this will be a very low mileage car, garaged at home at night and at work during the day. My main concern would be the effect after 3 years should I decide to put the spoiler back to stock and turn the car in. I think I'd be okay after 3 years for the lease, and if I buy at the end, the spoiler will stay on the car forever anyways.

I guess my remaining question is whether I'll have any Opti-coat related issues should I remove the spoiler later, because I'm assuming installation of the wing will require a similar alcohol prep to ensure adhesion, leaving the coat inconsistent between where the spoiler was and where the rest of the trunklid has been coated.

Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
d00t
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

At the end of the day, opti-coat is a sealant with fancy marketing. It's not like you're applying an actual film of something measurable on the surface of the paint (like a clear bra) so you will see no visual side effects of, say, applying opticoat to one area (a hood), then adding a second layer to one half the hood a year (or three!) later.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Opti-coat will not come off with isopropyl alcohol. You need to polish the finish to remove it.
Appreciate 0