BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

12-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Planning European Delivery

My birthday is coming up April 9th and I thought it would be a great birthday present to myself to fly to Munich and take ED on my new M3. I have some questions that I was hoping someone could answer though:

First, about how soon in advance must the car be built in order to take delivery around April 9th (10th or 11th)? It doesn't need to cross the pond so I was thinking I could take ED a week or two after production is complete, right?

Second, what are the chances that I'll be able to take delivery on a DCT M3 by April 9th? At this point, I'm probably guessing about 25% (not so good) but I'm keeping my hopes up. Not sure I'm going to want to do it without DCT.

And finally, what are all the details for ED? Is there a website I could read? I hear for airfare it's buy one get one free, right? And BMW covers the car while I'm driving in Europe for 3 weeks, right? Or is it two?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

It is my understanding that M cars are not eligible for ED incentives. Hopefully someone can jump in if I am wrong on that (but I don't think I am when I looked into ED for an e46 M3)

Also, as to the airfare, when I looked at it last year for my 335i the buy 1 get 1 from the approved airline and agent was no cheaper than 2 fares on Expedia.

I was told ~8 weeks order time. BMW does have a link to ED on their website.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
My birthday is coming up April 9th and I thought it would be a great birthday present to myself to fly to Munich and take ED on my new M3. I have some questions that I was hoping someone could answer though:

First, about how soon in advance must the car be built in order to take delivery around April 9th (10th or 11th)? It doesn't need to cross the pond so I was thinking I could take ED a week or two after production is complete, right?

Second, what are the chances that I'll be able to take delivery on a DCT M3 by April 9th? At this point, I'm probably guessing about 25% (not so good) but I'm keeping my hopes up. Not sure I'm going to want to do it without DCT.

And finally, what are all the details for ED? Is there a website I could read? I hear for airfare it's buy one get one free, right? And BMW covers the car while I'm driving in Europe for 3 weeks, right? Or is it two?
First of all, ED may not be available that soon for US cars. I don't remember the specifics, but it was not available for several months after the start of E46 M3 production. Secondly, I'm increasingly pessimistic that we'll see DCT before the '09 model year, but that's based only on the lack of any hard information from BMW yet.

BMWNA's website has info. here (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx), but it does not address the M series. I know there is no discount, but whether they still cover all the rest in uncertain. Best to contact a dealer, but you can bet they will have no information specific to the E9X M3 yet. They should be able to anwer all questions except for when it will be available or when DCT will be available.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 12-31-2007 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #4
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I was actually playing with the idea of ED myself and I asked my dealer about it. He said it might be available at this particular dealership however he said not to expect huge discount savings. I'll have to ask him why again cause I don't remember. I'd still consider doing it if I can take the time off. But I have to say though if you're hoping for M-DCT by April 9th 08 you're basically hoping for a miracle.

Good luck to you.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
vm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia

your chances of getting a M3 for ED in April are slim. The reason is that ED is usually not available at the beginning of production and, most importantly, this M3 will have to come from dealer allocation which will be much in demand for the next couple of years. I will shoot for april 2009.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
I was actually playing with the idea of ED myself and I asked my dealer about it. He said it might be available at this particular dealership however he said not to expect huge discount savings. I'll have to ask him why again cause I don't remember. I'd still consider doing it if I can take the time off. But I have to say though if you're hoping for M-DCT by April 9th 08 you're basically hoping for a miracle.

Good luck to you.
As GregW said above there is no ED discount. For some unknown reason BMW only gives ED discounts on non-M cars. We picked my wifes 530 up in Munich in 05 and saved around 5k. I highly reccomend ED to anyone considering it. Even if you don't save a dime it is a great experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Now View Post
As GregW said above there is no ED discount. For some unknown reason BMW only gives ED discounts on non-M cars. We picked my wifes 530 up in Munich in 05 and saved around 5k. I highly reccomend ED to anyone considering it. Even if you don't save a dime it is a great experience.
I'd like to do one some day. I love to travel and just to get a chance to drive your own car in Europe is something to remember. Saving 5k would be amazing with the new M3.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
I'd like to do one some day. I love to travel and just to get a chance to drive your own car in Europe is something to remember. Saving 5k would be amazing with the new M3.
It is truly an awesome experience! The people in Munich treated us like royalty(when we walked in they knew our name). The guy that went over the car with us spent over an hour going over every detail. When he was done he said "Enjoy the autobahn". The coolest thing is the memory of driving that car in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (we dropped it off in Zurich).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

OP:

My production date is set for the last week of Feb. My cousin is getting married in Germany in May. I would consider ED (regardless of the lack of incentive) if it was possible. I am curious as well as to how much of a window is allowed between end of production and when you can schedule the ED.

I will ask my CA and let you know...

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
First of all, ED may not be available that soon for US cars. I don't remember the specifics, but it was not available for several months after the start of E46 M3 production. Secondly, I'm increasingly pessimistic that we'll see DCT before the '09 model year, but that's based only on the lack of any hard information from BMW yet.

BMWNA's website has info. here (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx), but it does not address the M series. I know there is no discount, but whether they still cover all the rest in uncertain. Best to contact a dealer, but you can bet they will have no information specific to the E9X M3 yet. They should be able to anwer all questions except for when it will be available or when DCT will be available.
According to my CA you are correct! No ED Discount for the M3 and in my case it will be sold to me for US MSRP. I'm on a wait list for the M3 E93 with DCT and hoping for an April 2009 delivery at the Welt

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #11
Cingulus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3, 06 A3, 03 350Z TT,

I have been talking to Irv Robinson at www.edbmw.com and the BMA USA ED link is below.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx

http://www.edbmw.com/main/eded.html

1. You can do ED, but it comes out of the US dealer allocatoins so get on a list some where (same with the 1 Series right now)

2. You do have to pay US MSRP not ED discount.

3. I am looking for ED in July/August if I can get on a lust somewhere.

Shaun
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
mgasaad
Rep
Drives: M3 E46

[QUOTE=911 Now;1892177]It is truly an awesome experience! The people in Munich treated us like royalty(when we walked in they knew our name). The guy that went over the car with us spent over an hour going over every detail. When he was done he said "Enjoy the autobahn". The coolest thing is the memory of driving that car in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland (we dropped it off in Zurich).[/QUOTE

did you pay for one of their recommended tours or you drove in Europe on your own? Also assuming that you have to be careful speeding and accelerating in a new car did you find it diffecult to enjoy the autobahn? just few questions i have since i am considering ED myself next year. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
911 Now
Private First Class
Rep

did you pay for one of their recommended tours or you drove in Europe on your own? Also assuming that you have to be careful speeding and accelerating in a new car did you find it diffecult to enjoy the autobahn? just few questions i have since i am considering ED myself next year. Thanks[/QUOTE]

We drove on our own. The tours look real nice but super expensive. We were able to enjoy the driving just fine by going fast without over revving the engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgasaad View Post
did you pay for one of their recommended tours or you drove in Europe on your own? Also assuming that you have to be careful speeding and accelerating in a new car did you find it diffecult to enjoy the autobahn? just few questions i have since i am considering ED myself next year. Thanks
For our 335i ED, we just made it up. We had a plan but we also improvised a lot along the way and it was an amazing time. Italian Alps are highly recommended.

I found it pretty difficult to keep the car under 120mph and under 4.5k RPM for the first 1000 miles. I probably botched it a half dozen times, and violated it purposely driving the steets of Milan playing with a 545i and a modded GTi. Very, very fun time. The guys in the GTi were very into the car. The guy in the 545i could probably tell we were American and seemed to be annoyed.

We put over 2300 miles on the car. This was a two week trip. The M3 needs service at 1200 miles, so you'd have to stop and get it serviced if it was longer than a week. And I do recommend going longer than a week. There is just so much to explore.

I am for sure doing ED for my next purchase. This time I will probably combine with PCD ideally. I really want to see the Welt, we picked up in what was basically a glorified holding lot. The Welt looks insane.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #15
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgasaad View Post
did you pay for one of their recommended tours or you drove in Europe on your own?
Attached is my Do It Yourself tour of Southern Germany and Austria, to give you a few ideas
Attached Files
File Type: doc ED Trip Report Post.doc (32.0 KB, 608 views)

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #16
josowski
nil desperandum, illegitimi non caborundum
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Euro planning

We purchased our 2004 M3 by ED and received delivery in June of that year (ordered in April).

There were (and are) no discounts given for M cars (probably a demand and supply thing).

What one of the previous readers said is correct - that because of a new model year, dealer allocation, allocation waiting lists and no set time release for the DCT transmission your hopes of getting one any time soon is slim and none.

I am looking at the summer of 2009 for an M3 (DCT, my wife gets to drive/use the car ) for my time-line (hoping things will have calmed down by then).

I highly recommend doing an ED! The experience is tremendous. Western Europe is truely beautiful. Since 2000, we have been travelling there every year and it never gets old.

As one mentioned above, if you are planning to do a lot of driving, contact Beewag on bimmerfest.com to get the DVDs for the GMS system (if ordering one) they will be quite helpful.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #17
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

ED shipping cost - extra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by josowski View Post

I am looking at the summer of 2009 for an M3 (DCT, my wife gets to drive/use the car ) for my time-line (hoping things will have calmed down by then).
I highly recommend doing an ED! The experience is tremendous. Western Europe is truely beautiful. Since 2000, we have been travelling there every year and it never gets old.
That's around my timeline (June '09). So, if one is thinking 18m ahead, my quandry is when to get on a dealer's allocation list... have you done this already? I was hoping that I could wait until 1Q '09 and then go see a dealer... should be past the initial fervour by then, surely? (I have no idea what demand was like when the e46 came out).

Driving in Europe - barring the very busy peak summer driving season (when the Autobahn can slow to a crawl on some busy routes) - is a blast. I especially like the Romantic Road; the B country roads to the Alps and around the lakes in S. Bavaria; through Austria (Tyrol) down to Italy; also some of the Swiss pass roads b/w Germany and N. Italy

It would be a dream to pick up a car in München, see BMW Welt. What I've been trying to suss out is:

- OK, so no deals on M-cars for ED (they've figured that these buyers have fatter wallets, and less supply)
- but what about other costs, ie, the shipping/insurance to USA? Is that added on top? Or is it embedded in the MSRP? [I can see a "Search" flame post coming .. I'll try and find the info somewhere]

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #18
josowski
nil desperandum, illegitimi non caborundum
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

As I recall, the insurance is paid for a couple of months. The shippng costs are imbedded in the overall cost.

What you should do is investigate the best way to get there, maybe use the ED connection with Lufthansa.

Furthermore, don't forget to sign up for the BMW magazine. You will get a rebate of $500 or more if you are a member at least one year ahead of the delivery date.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
As I recall, the insurance is paid for a couple of months. The shippng costs are imbedded in the overall cost.

Furthermore, don't forget to sign up for the BMW magazine. You will get a rebate of $500 or more if you are a member at least one year ahead of the delivery date.
Thx for the info mate! I am a bmw cca member (love Roundel) but didn't know about the $500 rebate

If there's no extra cost for the shipping: then it would be way to rock up to the wife's family in Herzogenaurach in a neue ///M3

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
$500 rebate

Quote:
You mean as a BMWCCA member which publishes Roundel? Thanks for the reminder--I've been a member for years but fogot about that perk.

http://www.bmwcca.org/MembershipRewards

http://www.bmwcca.org/files/Membersh...ogram_Form.pdf

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #21
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As I recall, the insurance is paid for a couple of months.
When I went in April of this year, it was limited to 2 weeks on BMW-AG's nickel, then you could purchase additional weeks. Oh, and after ED you can also request re-delivery at the Performance Center for a PCD

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #22
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
It is my understanding that M cars are not eligible for ED incentives. Hopefully someone can jump in if I am wrong on that (but I don't think I am when I looked into ED for an e46 M3)

Also, as to the airfare, when I looked at it last year for my 335i the buy 1 get 1 from the approved airline and agent was no cheaper than 2 fares on Expedia.

I was told ~8 weeks order time. BMW does have a link to ED on their website.
+1. M cars come out from the dealer allocation. So no incentive. Bad idea to do ED on M cars unless people want to try them on Autobahn