E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > AE issue

10-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
rmk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007

AE issue

Hey, so i don't know if you guys can help me but i'm gonna give it a try. So i bought this 2007 e90 about a month ago. When i bought it the angel eye bulbs were out so i never saw them on. A week ago i went and had my headlight reflectors wrapped with CF which involved opening the headlights and everything. It came out looking great. So anyway for some dumb reason i didn't have my angel eyes done with him. A few days later i went and had another guy change my AE bulbs. So one side looks great but the driver side outer ring doesnt light up at all as you can see in the pictures.

Would you guys know what could be wrong? Does it have to do with the first guy opening up my healights? How can I fix this? TIA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Well you would first need to remove the wheel and wheel well to get access to the back of the headlight. There are 2 or 3 things that could cause this:

1 - The angel eye bulb was damaged and one of the LED's is not working correct. You can remove the bulb ( keep it plugged in) and turn them on. Look at the LED's to see if they are working correct

2 - The angel eye tube might not have been put back in place correctly. THis is really easy to fix. Remove the angel eye bulb, remove the black holder as well. The 2 tips of the angel eyes should be equal. There is a small tab on the bottom of the ring to hold it in place.

3 - The angel eye was broken when they were opened. If this is the case they you need to replace the headlight . At least it needs to be re-opened and have the ring replaced with a new one.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #3
rmk
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Well you would first need to remove the wheel and wheel well to get access to the back of the headlight. There are 2 or 3 things that could cause this:

1 - The angel eye bulb was damaged and one of the LED's is not working correct. You can remove the bulb ( keep it plugged in) and turn them on. Look at the LED's to see if they are working correct

2 - The angel eye tube might not have been put back in place correctly. THis is really easy to fix. Remove the angel eye bulb, remove the black holder as well. The 2 tips of the angel eyes should be equal. There is a small tab on the bottom of the ring to hold it in place.

3 - The angel eye was broken when they were opened. If this is the case they you need to replace the headlight . At least it needs to be re-opened and have the ring replaced with a new one.
Thank you! So I looked at them closely and it seems like the base of the ring is broken... If so where do I buy a replacement ring? I keep seeing sets but can I buy just that one ring? Maybe if i go to BMW? TIA
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk View Post
Thank you! So I looked at them closely and it seems like the base of the ring is broken... If so where do I buy a replacement ring? I keep seeing sets but can I buy just that one ring? Maybe if i go to BMW? TIA
Damn that's the worst option. I would recommend going to the guy who opened the headlights and have him fix this. The only correct way is to re-open the lights and replace the ring.

You cant buy the ring directly so you will need to buy a new headlight and salvage the ring from that one. Make sure he doesn't break the new one this time.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #5
dinanm3atl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP 70 Olds 442 F31 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Damn that's the worst option. I would recommend going to the guy who opened the headlights and have him fix this. The only correct way is to re-open the lights and replace the ring.

You cant buy the ring directly so you will need to buy a new headlight and salvage the ring from that one. Make sure he doesn't break the new one this time.
Yah that is unfortunate. It's not a 'normal' repair so salvaging parts will be required
Appreciate 0