E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dropped off my 335 to get the Dinan flash

01-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

Dropped off my 335 to get the Dinan flash

My review (long):

Disclaimer

Let me start off by saying that I will try to be as neutral as possible as I have no devotion to any tuner out there. I have tried the SSTT, the Xede and Procede 1.47 (though not V 2.0x). This review is not meant to be a comparison and will only focus on the Dinan flash.

As I have stated earlier, I believe that there is room for more than one tuner in the market, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

The drop off

This was the most painful part: I have a 2008 and thus the ECU had to be shipped to Dinan. I used a local shop that they recommended which has been around for a while. The ECU was sent out on a Wednesday and I was supposed to have my car back by Friday. To make a long story short, I picked up my car the following Tuesday (a full 6 days later because of the weekend).

They blame FED EX but who really knows. They did reimburse me 100 dollars for the overnight both ways and they had given me a 10% discount ($200) so I guess it wasn't all that bad. I was more excited about getting the car back than I was when I was waiting for the car which took 2 months to get delivered.

Initial Impressions:

The very first thing I noticed is that thankfully, none of the settings / presets in the car where altered. The memory on the seats, mirrors, the time and date, all where unchanged which was pretty cool. I turned on my car and listened for any change in the exhaust but heard none at idle. The RPMs where steady and low as usual and everything seemed to be in order.

Throttle Response:

Believe it or not this is one of my favorite things about the tune. I would go as far as to say that even if there where no extra power, it would be worth it to pay something (though not 2K) for this change. The car was always a little jerky in the first two gears almost as if the turbos could not decide if they should be on or off (at low to partial throttle).

This sensation was completely gone. It gives the feeling of a naturally aspired engine and really makes driving more enjoyable. Strangely enough, the car feels more natural and "unmodified" if that’s the right word. The car should be this way from the factory. I am just speculating but this might actually help to launch the car and it definitely hides the power that lays just a couple of inches lower on the gas pedal.

Performance:

There is a HUGE difference in the way the car performs. Cruising at 15mph in first gear if you hit the gas the car will fight for traction the whole way up the RPMs on a dry 78 degree day. This will continue into second gear and there could be some wheel spin into third as well. The traction control will be working overtime if the driver so desires. I feel that the car's tires and general grip are taken to the limit and I don't see how or why anyone would demand more power than this.

My father in law has a 997 Carrera S and he could not believe the difference in my car. He went as far as to say that it was probably faster than his car (which could not have been easy for him to say) While this might be a stretch, we both agree that this is now a different car…A true monster.

I will try to Dyno again this Saturday so that I can post the comparison with the base numbers but the difference is so outstanding that I really don't feel the need to do so.

If there is one compliment that I can say about the Dinan flash is that it makes me not want to lurk around these forums anymore. I am satisfied and I am forcing myself to write this review and go to the Dyno on Saturday for the common good of the forum and those that are still on the sidelines.

Don't wait, go get one!!!

__________________________________________________ ______________________

I live in South Florida and I just dropped off my car at Foreign Affairs in Pompano Beach Florida. They were recommended by Dinan and I actually got a pretty good deal. They took 10% off the MSRP so I got $200 which helps a little.

I have a 2008 so they had to ship the ECU and I will have the car back on Friday.

I did a baseline Dyno and will do another one once the flash is done (probably this Saturday if all goes well). I will post a review and the Dyno pics this weekend.

I hope all goes well.

Updated: Photo of baseline Dyno: http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/ke...5Fd3Ig=/large/

Last edited by Kelvin1000; 01-09-2008 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Updated Review
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Awesome man, let us know how it goes.

I should have my car back equipped with both the Dinan oil cooler and Dinan flash by Thursday evening. Will post my results then as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

congrats, that's a good deal! How are your base #s?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Finally the discounts are starting. Let us know what the damage with labor was.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Enjoy the Flash! I suggest you drive your car hard for a 2 or 3 days before you get the "post-flash" dyno, because the car feels like it gets stronger a couple of days after the Flash.
      01-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
congrats, that's a good deal! How are your base #s?
My baseline number are actually documented here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100368

With 93 Octane (but in 92 degree with 40% humidity) I got pretty good and consistant numbers:

First run 284 (8.95 boost)
Second run 281 (8.67 boost)
Third run 282 (8.79 boost)

I will post a better pic later as a basis of comparison.

I will also consider driving a couple of days before I Dyno again but if I don't do it this Saturday then I will have to wait for NEXT Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #7
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1000 View Post
My baseline number are actually documented here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100368

With 93 Octane (but in 92 degree with 40% humidity) I got pretty good and consistant numbers:

First run 284 (8.95 boost)
Second run 281 (8.67 boost)
Third run 282 (8.79 boost)

I will post a better pic later as a basis of comparison.

I will also consider driving a couple of days before I Dyno again but if I don't do it this Saturday then I will have to wait for NEXT Saturday.
Well, I am glad to see you did it on a Dynojet as opposed the the Mustang Dyno I used. With the cool weather (finally!!) you should see some good gains.
      01-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

I would do the same only if Dinan's warranty lasted for more than 50k miles.

On another note, if you have engine problems does this mean that you have to go to a Dinan Authorized dealer only? seems like you would.
      01-02-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmbo View Post
I would do the same only if Dinan's warranty lasted for more than 50k miles.

On another note, if you have engine problems does this mean that you have to go to a Dinan Authorized dealer only? seems like you would.
If you have a problem within the warranty period, you can go to any BMW dealer for repairs. In theory whatever issues that may arise are paid by either BMW or Dinan depending on the part. However, this all happens behind the scenes and the customer never has to get involved. The dealer will bill either company directly.

I don't see why it would matter where you go after the warranty period ends.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Doc E
Surf Caster Extraordinaire
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 ISF

Quote:
If you have a problem within the warranty period, you can go to any BMW dealer for repairs. In theory whatever issues that may arise are paid by either BMW or Dinan depending on the part. However, this all happens behind the scenes and the customer never has to get involved. The dealer will bill either company directly.

I don't see why it would matter where you go after the warranty period ends.
Well i got the extended warranty (i put on 25k miles a year)

But for your first answer i have a question. I've called a few NON Dinan dealers in my area to find if they offer flashes (just for kicks) and they all gave me a little attitude about Dinan in general. What stops NON-authorized dealers from denying warranty?
      01-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmbo View Post
Well i got the extended warranty (i put on 25k miles a year)

But for your first answer i have a question. I've called a few NON Dinan dealers in my area to find if they offer flashes (just for kicks) and they all gave me a little attitude about Dinan in general. What stops NON-authorized dealers from denying warranty?
It is an arrangemente that Dinan has with BMW directly. It doesn't matter if the dealer is Dinan authorized or not. This was one of my first questions to these guys as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Oh man, Foreign Affairs. I don't particularly like them very much. They installed my DPs and exhaust and didn't do it right. The DPs weren't aligned right, and my exhaust tips were crooked. They said they couldn't get it to fit any better and also had to shave off some of my inside bumper to get the tips to fit a little less crooked. Then I took it to my buddy's shop and for $40 he realigned my DPs correctly AND straightened out my exhaust perfectly. I also feel they ripped me off on the price of install.

But I really hope you fair alot better than I do. Besides, the work is warrantied and the ECU only touches their hands when they take it out and reinstall it. Good luck.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Congrats to the OP!
I just called a dealer to get some prices.

1999 for the flash
156 for tax
140 for an hour of labor

Total price is $2294!
No thank you.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #14
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Congrats to the OP!

1999 for the flash
156 for tax
140 for an hour of labor

Total price is $2294!
No thank you.
Dumb question but did they tax you on the total with the labor or without?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by orientblue3 View Post
Dumb question but did they tax you on the total with the labor or without?
Without.
      01-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Oh man, Foreign Affairs. I don't particularly like them very much. They installed my DPs and exhaust and didn't do it right. The DPs weren't aligned right, and my exhaust tips were crooked. They said they couldn't get it to fit any better and also had to shave off some of my inside bumper to get the tips to fit a little less crooked. Then I took it to my buddy's shop and for $40 he realigned my DPs correctly AND straightened out my exhaust perfectly. I also feel they ripped me off on the price of install.

But I really hope you fair alot better than I do. Besides, the work is warrantied and the ECU only touches their hands when they take it out and reinstall it. Good luck.

Hopefully I will fare better than my first baseline Dyno when they chipped my car (at a different shop). I asked the guys at Dinan and they recommended them above all other installers in South Florida. I would think that there can't be much that can go wrong as they only have to take out the ECU and send it and they probably do this all the time.

I am super excited about it (I almost couldn't sleep last night). I wasn't even this excited when I bought the car!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name
Norway
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

is the Dinan ECU flash available for EU cars? i can't seem to find any contact info on their website other than their telephone number.

E92 335i coupe March 2007
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Congrats to the OP!

1999 for the flash
156 for tax
140 for an hour of labor

Total price is $2294!
No thank you.
How is it that they can tax you on a service, not a product you are buying?

Isn't the flash just hooking up their computer to the ECU and flashing it?
You aren't buying a product, so how is there tax involved.

That would be like being charged tax to do a dyno run?

I wonder what the law is regarding that, sounds like the dealers are charging tax to make more money, but it might in fact be illegal since you are not actually buying a product, but rather you are paying for a service.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Congrats to the OP!

1999 for the flash
156 for tax
140 for an hour of labor

Total price is $2294!
No thank you.
Crev by chance?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
mrbrett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
How is it that they can tax you on a service, not a product you are buying?

Isn't the flash just hooking up their computer to the ECU and flashing it?
You aren't buying a product, so how is there tax involved.

That would be like being charged tax to do a dyno run?

I wonder what the law is regarding that, sounds like the dealers are charging tax to make more money, but it might in fact be illegal since you are not actually buying a product, but rather you are paying for a service.
You're buying software which is a product and not a service. Just as you would buy downloadable software or music on your computer. It can be taxed.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 07:33 PM   #21
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
I live in South Florida and I just dropped off my car at Foreign Affairs in Pompano Beach Florida. They were recommended by Dinan and I actually got a pretty good deal. They took 10% off the MSRP so I got $200 which helps a little.

I have a 2008 so they had to ship the ECU and I will have the car back on Friday.

I did a baseline Dyno and will do another one once the flash is done (probably this Saturday if all goes well). I will post a review and the Dyno pics this weekend.

I hope all goes well.

Updated: Photo of baseline Dyno: http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/ke...5Fd3Ig=/large/

Like the OP said. It takes a few day before you get 100% power which is mostly on the top end. It helps if you do a several 3rd an 4th gear pulls to redline. I should have waited 2 more days before my dyno.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrett View Post
You're buying software which is a product and not a service. Just as you would buy downloadable software or music on your computer. It can be taxed.
Ahh, good point.
Appreciate 0