F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Problem measuring oil level
Extreme Powerhouse

10-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Problem measuring oil level

So last night I'm driving and get a message telling me to add one quart of oil.

I wake up today and notice the warning is gone. I go out and run some errands and pick up a quart of oil anyway. Before putting it in I wanted to verify that it is, in fact low.

Since BMW's are retarded and don't have dipsticks I go into the iDrive to begin a process that takes significantly longer than checking yourself via a dipstick. The check gets to about 17% and I get an error saying that the car has to be in park or neutral, reach operating temperature, and be on a level surface to measure the oil level.

All of these conditions were met yet it won't work (I tried repeatedly). So there is yet another issue with the car that has to be looked at.

I can see why so many people lease these things. This is the only car I've ever owned that gives me such headaches. I'm not going to put anymore oil in until I can confirm that it is actually low as I don't want to overfill my crankcase with oil.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Bad luck but good choice. More warning lights will come when you run really low on oil.
Make an appointment at BMW.
      10-27-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
Bad luck but good choice. More warning lights will come when you run really low on oil.
Make an appointment at BMW.
Yeah the light came on again but I couldn't verify the oil level. I made a compromise and put about a half quart of oil in.

I'll have it looked at soon enough, I'm due for an oil change in about 1000 miles. I'll have the dealer look at it then. The car is great to drive and very practical for my needs but I swear this car is like death by 1,000 needles sometimes.
Appreciate 0