E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage 2 versus Cobb Sport

10-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Molarz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Dinan Stage 2 versus Cobb Sport

Wondering whether anyone has done both of these mods for a 335 N54
I have the cobb AP and have googled and researched forums pretty extensively but never really was able to find the power gains for the sport version software for the Cobb. I know the % increases are posted on cobbs site but unlike Dinan, they never claim numbers like the Dinan Stage 2 and at 412 lb tq. It seems more powerful than the Cobb.
Does anyone know whether the Dinan is actually more powerful than the Cobb because if it is, I may consider the switch.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
uberbeast21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molarz View Post
I have the cobb AP and have googled and researched forums pretty extensively but never really was able to find the power gains for the sport version software for the Cobb. I know the % increases are posted on cobbs site but unlike Dinan, they never claim numbers like the Dinan Stage 2 and at 412 lb tq. It seems more powerful than the Cobb.
Does anyone know whether the Dinan is actually more powerful than the Cobb because if it is, I may consider the switch.
Thanks for the info.
I have dinan stage 2 and it is fairly powerful for what it is, it still makes me happy everytime, however from what i understand someone can feel free to correct me, but on a stock for stock car i believe the cobb stage 1 sport is slightly lower power than dinan stage 2 but if you were to get a protune or etune on the cobb even on a stock car the power would surpass the dinan I may be wrong though. personally i am thinking of switching to cobb stage 1+fmic sport with a pro tune i havent been able to find anything on this either everyone is running aggressive lol I cant do that on shitty CA-91

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

You will always find more power with the Cobb then Dinan with similar modifications.

The only reason to stay with Dinan is for warranty purposes although the reality is many get away with warranty claims even while modded with other tunes.

There is no magical way to make power on this vehicle, you can only run so much boost and ignition timing to make power. Dinan is typically more conservative then other tunes when compared with similar modifications.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

We've custom tuned quite a large number of previously tuned Dinan cars on the Cobb platform always with great success.

As Jeff's mentioned above the Dinan's advantage is the warranty coverage but it comes at a hefty price tag. There's quite a bit of consistent reliable power left on the table with all the Dinan tunes that many tuned N54 drivers enjoy out there day in day out.

Dzenno@PTF
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
Molarz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Thanks for the reply everyone.

I am out of warranty but even still, the published Cobb sport version (I am running this over aggressive simply due to the 93 octane limitation) still doesnt seem to make over 400 lbs torque whereas the Dinan does?

Does the cobb make equivalent torque?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
Kaedeh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2dr 335i

Dinan lists flywheel numbers like everyone else has said - Cobb will perform better.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
proTUNING Freaks
Rep
Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Thanks for the reply everyone.

I am out of warranty but even still, the published Cobb sport version (I am running this over aggressive simply due to the 93 octane limitation) still doesnt seem to make over 400 lbs torque whereas the Dinan does?

Does the cobb make equivalent torque?
Cobb's numbers are at the wheels. Dinan quotes crank numbers which will be roughly 15-20% higher depending on the dyno.

If you're past warranty and won't be getting the Dinan "advantage" (i.e. warranty) definitely go with a Cobb Accessport.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
I actually had Dinan stage 2 with catless dps, intake and intercooler and went directly from that to Cobb Stg 2+ Aggressive.

The dinan tune was not very smooth and it felt very flat. Not much get up and go. In fact, it felt slower and less refined than the Cobb Stage 1 aggressive that I had previously. As soon as I switched to Cobb Stg 2+, it brought the smile back to my face and the car felt like the beast it was. Later, I got a pro tune from Jake and it brought back that feeling all over again.

Go with the Cobb and then get a pro tune from Jake. You won't ever be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
brg4913
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molarz
Thanks for the info.
I ran dinan stage 2 and swiched to cobb . It does give more power and has much more versatility. Plus you can do some other mods with the extra grand you will save.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #10
BennyMalino
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I’ve got the Dinan stage 2 with exhaust, intercooler and intake. It’s fine for me, the car moves better than other stock ones I’ve driven. Having said that, I used a Cobb AP with my STi and a pro tune and it was great. If I could choose now I would do Cobb and get a pro tune. The Dinan is at about 14 lbs. of boost and I know the car can take more than that and the turbo can keep up for short periods of time. I was at 19 lbs. in the STi and even that was conservative.
Go Cobb and have fun! Just get the supporting mods also.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Andrew3424
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

On my last 335 I purchased it with the dinan stage 2 and i thought my car was bad ass lol. But it's a flash and once u buy it that's is no tuning or changing boost or timing when upgrading mods that's it ur stuck with it. My personal opinion is that dinan is basically obsolete now. Only recognized by the inexperienced or older guys that get it sold to them by the dealership . Because once I got my newer 335 I purchaed jb4 and Itwas a big difference then I became fbo + meth + e85 and the car is an absolute monster and it's the same with Cobb once u continue updating ur car u can change ur tuning accoridinly with the new stuff u get . With dinan ur stuck
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Johnny Boost
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '21 M850i GC

+1 for Cobb

This thread is pretty unanimous lol
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Cobb FTW, no question.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Sorry to bring back a very very old thread. Dinan is currently having a 50% off sale for the stages, so Stage 3 is $566 list plus the labor to install. Now which? Currently have the Power kit with extra radiator and stronger fan, Dinan oil and intercooler. Thanks for any advice/opinions!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #15
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Sorry to bring back a very very old thread. Dinan is currently having a 50% off sale for the stages, so Stage 3 is $566 list plus the labor to install. Now which? Currently have the Power kit with extra radiator and stronger fan, Dinan oil and intercooler. Thanks for any advice/opinions!!!
....still MHD
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black n54is View Post
....still MHD
Thank you for the quick response! Had to look up MHD. Where would one get the cable/connector? I stopped coming here often when COBB was just starting on the N54!

Again thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #17
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response! Had to look up MHD. Where would one get the cable/connector? I stopped coming here often when COBB was just starting on the N54!

Again thank you!
Bimmer Software .com. Tried and tested
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 1
jzchen11.50
      02-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Again thank you!
We offer a guaranteed to work MHD Tuning Cable FYI.
Appreciate 3
BSM n54iS2684.50
jzchen11.50
      02-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #19
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thank you both!

I am looking into it.

Seems like there are two cables. One USB to OBD-II, and another OTG for connection to the phone. I have worked with m-VCI for Toyota before so I've seen USB to OBD-II, but first time I've seen OTG.

I'll update or post another thread. I am interested in saving my BMW Power Kit programming to revert back to later.

(Since I have been getting email newsletters from Dinan I got the notice for the sale. My son convinced my wife to get that for me as a birthday present as she loves sales. I asked COBB if I'd be able to use the Accessport to store both and swap between the Power Kit and Dinan, but tech support basically said "no", as it is not compatible with the Dinan software. I would lose the Dinan programming. He did note that it is compatible with the Power Kit programming, so I'm guessing it would work to store that. I'm not sure that they know that the Power Kit came with MSD81, which had to be swapped in for my old MSD80. I still have the MSD80 in a box. This caused compatibility issues with my Bavarian Technic cable/software...)

Anyone know of a product I could use to store the Power Kit programming and Dinan programming to swap between the two? If I decide to continue on that route. (Wife already agreed to pay for it. I'm about to send an email to the creators of MHD to ask if I could do that with their software.)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #20
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
(Wife already agreed to pay for it. I'm about to send an email to the creators of MHD to ask if I could do that with their software.)
Forget the dinan stuff...it's not worth it.

I'm having trouble keeping up with your reply, but if you already paid for Dinan and haven't installed it yet, ask for your money back and move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

...and if you haven't just save your money! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #22
BKBMW335I
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335I

Forget about Dinan, Cobb Stg 2 Aggressive is much better but MHD trumps both of them.

My recommendation is to go with MHD all the way.
Mods: MHD Stg 2, xHP Flashtool Stage 3, VRSF 3" Chargepipe, Megan 4" Downpipes, Pure N55 Inlet, Outlet, VSRF 5" Stepped Intercooler, GFB Diverter, BMS N55 Intake, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve, CF Spoiler, CF Kidney Grille, CF Mirror Covers, CF Eyelids, CF Wheel Hub Covers, CF Diffuser, M Sport Racing Strip, 20% Tints, and Golf Tee Mod
Appreciate 0