GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

11-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80

Well, instead of doing my 2000km break-in appointment at my dealer, I wanted to go somewhere more conveniently located.

I decided to give BMW Etobicoke Service a try, and I'm glad I did.

It's a service centre-only--apparently the only one in Canada so far. Been open about a year, and more are coming all over the city (Toronto).

It fairly big, very very clean, airy, spacious. I was told that they pride themselves on great service, and the ability to get an appointment in days, not weeks like the dealership. It's true--I called on a Monday afternoon, and got an appointment Tuesday.

In any case I can tell you they are very friendly, and good to deal with.

Mind you, they admitted that our cars are so new that many of the techs haven't received formal BMW M3/M4 training from head office yet. In fact, they had forgotten to turn off the Service Reminder alert in the car after the service. And they didn't know about a pop-up I had "OBJECT DETECTED IN ROAD". (Turns out its part of the RTTI traffic alerts.)

Still, the staff and techs were admiring the ride and complimenting me on it, which is nice.

When I had questions about the break in, and insisted they make sure they change the screw plugs...I didn't feel like they were blowing me off. They really seemed to listen. (Although I did say no car wash please--but they hand washed it anyway.)

My Snap-in Connect adapter (84 21 2 351 308) that I bought for my iPhone 5S had never worked. It only charged the phone. When I told the techs, they did some tests and found that there was a pin on the adapter that wasn't making connection. They ordered me a new one under warranty...same part number.

Now, EVERYTHING works with my iPhone 5S---BMW Connect apps, charging, phone, shows my playlist on my BMW screen--BUT there's no sound. So...the issues with BMW and 6NS cars and these stupid adapters is ongoing. Not a big deal for me, since I can use the adapter for everything, and save the music for my iPod plugged into the USB in the armrest.

Back to the service centre--the waiting area is nice, with newspapers, TV...but only coffee. I didn't see any donuts or soft drinks!

There's of course shuttle service, from Dixie road in the West, to I believe Royal York in the east.

Very friendly and attentive. I hope they open more of these around the GTA, 'cause it's quite convenient.

BMW Etobicoke Service, 1542 Queensway just west of Kipling, across the street from the IKEA.

M
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I used them a couple of times with my E92 M3 with great service and my friend Des Sie is there and looked after my orders.We also take our BMW's there from work and have been very impressed with the service that we received.My 2000 was done at Parkview and they did replace the fill & drain plugs as were required.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
karbonphiber
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4

I've driven by it a few times and it's Pretty close to my place but the shuttle service doesn't go to my place.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikster View Post
My Snap-in Connect adapter (84 21 2 351 308) that I bought for my iPhone 5S had never worked. It only charged the phone. When I told the techs, they did some tests and found that there was a pin on the adapter that wasn't making connection. They ordered me a new one under warranty...same part number.

Now, EVERYTHING works with my iPhone 5S---BMW Connect apps, charging, phone, shows my playlist on my BMW screen--BUT there's no sound. So...the issues with BMW and 6NS cars and these stupid adapters is ongoing. Not a big deal for me, since I can use the adapter for everything, and save the music for my iPod plugged into the USB in the armrest.

M
Thanks for the info. Not that convenient a location for me but something to keep in mind.

Regarding the snap-in adaptor, I agree that it is a fairly useless option but since I have it (with iPhone 5S and 6NS) I'm a bit curious about what it can actually do. Does your phone actually connect through the adaptor? Even when mine is plugged in it still only connects through Bluetooth. Is that how it is supposed to work? I do get sound mine from my iPhone through the adaptor (tested it with Bluetooth turned off to be sure).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
hacxyzzy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, SO/SB M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Thanks for the info. Not that convenient a location for me but something to keep in mind.

Regarding the snap-in adaptor, I agree that it is a fairly useless option but since I have it (with iPhone 5S and 6NS) I'm a bit curious about what it can actually do. Does your phone actually connect through the adaptor? Even when mine is plugged in it still only connects through Bluetooth. Is that how it is supposed to work? I do get sound mine from my iPhone through the adaptor (tested it with Bluetooth turned off to be sure).
I have the snap in adapter with my M4. It will preferentially connect to the iPhone via the adapter. Once it does so, it'll be listed in the "External Devices" list. The car is still connected to the phone via Bluetooth (I believe simply for telephony services) but it's not possible to have a Bluetooth audio connection to the phone while it's in the snap-in adapter. I had to go through a few snap-in adapter variations before I got one that allowed my phone to be recognized. It certainly doesn't feel to me that BMW has a robust solution.

Although audio and the apps work, I have not been able to get it to play video
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

That's good to hear. I was told it's under the same chain as Downtown BMW and I did experience a slip in service levels in the Downtown shop. I assume it's because they moved all their good folk to the new service center.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #7
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacxyzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post

I have the snap in adapter with my M4. It will preferentially connect to the iPhone via the adapter. Once it does so, it'll be listed in the "External Devices" list. The car is still connected to the phone via Bluetooth (I believe simply for telephony services) but it's not possible to have a Bluetooth audio connection to the phone while it's in the snap-in adapter. I had to go through a few snap-in adapter variations before I got one that allowed my phone to be recognized. It certainly doesn't feel to me that BMW has a robust solution.

Although audio and the apps work, I have not been able to get it to play video
Which model number adaptor do you have?
What ios are you running?
M
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s
I used them a couple of times with my E92 M3 with great service and my friend Des Sie is there and looked after my orders.We also take our BMW's there from work and have been very impressed with the service that we received.My 2000 was done at Parkview and they did replace the fill & drain plugs as were required.
Yeah I spoke to Des as well. He seemed to be the most attentive to my queries.
He also invited me to come out track days that he organizes!
Nice guy.
M
Appreciate 0