BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

01-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
cooperman
England
Rep
Drives: 325Msport Convertible E93 2007

E93 Speaker Upgrade

Hi, this is my first post.
First many thanks to the posters who have helped me rip apart my new BMW to upgrade the awful sound system fitted as standard. My car has the basic sound system fitted to UK cars (no amp), but as I have bluetooth installed, I decided not to upgrade the head unit, but instead to upgrade the speakers as a start point. So far I have upgraded the front door speakers to pioneer e-motion TS E1075's. The improvement in the sound quality is unbelievable. The speakers that came out are pretty awful, see the pics below, notice the inbuilt crossover, although my car didn't have the optional tweeters fitted. Depth is obviously a problem for the new speakers, but I solved that by making adapters, see pics. The next step is to upgrade the subs to 8" earthquakes, and add an amp for the subs only.
I hope this is of interest to anyone considering upgrading.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I'm curious. Did you disconnect the airbag in the fuse box before taking apart the door panel? I've wanted to know how for a while but never really sought out the proper way to do it.

Do you do anything to safe guard against the airbag going off or ignore it as unnecessary?
      01-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
cooperman
England
Rep
Drives: 325Msport Convertible E93 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
I'm curious. Did you disconnect the airbag in the fuse box before taking apart the door panel? I've wanted to know how for a while but never really sought out the proper way to do it.

Do you do anything to safe guard against the airbag going off or ignore it as unnecessary?
I didn't realise there were airbags in the doors, but now you mention it, I just disconnected them. I have not had a problem, and I didn't disconnect the battery, although I was told I will have to disconnect it to replace the subwoofers under the seats. As you see I took the passenger door card off completely, but I didn't disconnect the wiring when I got to the drivers door, I just supported the removed panel, replaced the speaker, and refitted the door panel. So it can be done without disconnecting the wiring if you are fully prepared.
Appreciate 0