THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Help PLEASE! I'm driving and having a problem!

11-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Help PLEASE! I'm driving and having a problem!

Fellow owners, anyone connected right now that could assist?

I'm on the road, suddenly my the engine fan started to work and has not stopped since (it's been like that for more than 40 minutes) I have no error nor warnings lights . I've just parked and the fan's still on, opened the hood, the engine is actually cold... What happened?

I'm inside of a shopping mall parking lot, turned the engine off, but I'm scared to start it again and go home

Any pointers my friends?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
nzw212
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235XI, Maserati, Ducati

What was it? I hope you're ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Use the SOS call button.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Well, I left the car turned off for like an hour, turned on again and the fan didnt started, but I'm concerned.... I don't know if once the engine gets warm it'll turn on forever again
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Take it to dealer. I'm not sure the fan should stay on after turning the car off.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #6
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari
Use the SOS call button.
The operators are so polite!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Guys, sadly we do not have SOS BMW service in my country but thanks for the suggestion
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharo1 View Post
Take it to dealer. I'm not sure the fan should stay on after turning the car off.
I will bro, thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
nyeager
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

Garage List
I've had fans on cars stay on after I shut the engine off, specifically on very hot days after I've driven the car hard. Not sure if it's normal in this case or not.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyeager
I've had fans on cars stay on after I shut the engine off, specifically on very hot days after I've driven the car hard. Not sure if it's normal in this case or not.

Quote:
Yes. But not on this one. I live in west Texas (over 105F during the summer) and fan never stayed on after turning engine off.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Thing is my friends, that the fan stayed ON for like 45 minutes while I was driving the car and not in heavy traffic... I was doing an average of 30-40 mph and correct me if I'm wrong but the fan should not stay on for that long on normal driving on open road at night and in cold weather.... Last week I drove in very heavy traffic at mid day and the fan worked normal, on and off like it should
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 05:28 AM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

1) did you use the iDrive car info menus to see if everything registers O.K.
2) on other vehicles a couple of cycles of ON&OFF of the ignition switch can reset errors so MAYBE it is possible the issue will clear on it's own.
3) there is no way paper or plastic bag got lodged over your front grill while driving ?

Last edited by overcoil; 11-08-2014 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
1) did you use the iDrive car info menus to see if everything registers O.K.
2) on other vehicles a couple of cycles of ON&OFF of the ignition switch can reset errors so MAYBE it is possible the issue will clear on it's own.
3) there is no way paper or plastic bag got lodged over your front grill while driving ?
Thanks very much for your suggestions Scott. Today the problem was gone, but anyway I went to the dealership. They ran some diagnostics, the fan worked great, on and off as it should... Then they disconnected the fan's sensor, it wasn't dirty but anyway they did some cleaning on it. They suggested me to go and do some testing, I've just did that, went for a 60mile ride, with light to heavy traffic, everything fine.... It's great that the problem seems to be gone, but I would like to know what caused this last night
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

YOU GOT INTO SOFT LIMP MODE...

It has happened to me three times now...

OP Does not mention if car was on or off but I suppose it was ON.

Apparently all F series M sport cars have this problem, for no apparent reason and with normal water and oil temps suddenly the fans will blast full on, you will feel the vibration of that and also hear them, its very loud, if you have a way to check temps you will see that they will start to lower agressively.

It is some kind of fault related to a sensor or DME programming but I have not heard of anyone that has had it fixed for good.

And also there will be nothing in you dash to tell you that something is wrong (no cel or faults) but the car performance will be choppy with inconsistent power delivery.

You should shut the engine off wait 10 - 30 secs and start it back up again... all should be normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Thanks very much for your suggestions Scott. Today the problem was gone, but anyway I went to the dealership. They ran some diagnostics, the fan worked great, on and off as it should... Then they disconnected the fan's sensor, it wasn't dirty but anyway they did some cleaning on it. They suggested me to go and do some testing, I've just did that, went for a 60mile ride, with light to heavy traffic, everything fine.... It's great that the problem seems to be gone, but I would like to know what caused this last night
Alex do you happen to know where this fan sensor is located?

JC
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
YOU GOT INTO SOFT LIMP MODE...

It has happened to me three times now...

OP Does not mention if car was on or off but I suppose it was ON.

Apparently all F series M sport cars have this problem, for no apparent reason and with normal water and oil temps suddenly the fans will blast full on, you will feel the vibration of that and also hear them, its very loud, if you have a way to check temps you will see that they will start to lower agressively.

It is some kind of fault related to a sensor or DME programming but I have not heard of anyone that has had it fixed for good.

And also there will be nothing in you dash to tell you that something is wrong (no cel or faults) but the car performance will be choppy with inconsistent power delivery.

You should shut the engine off wait 10 - 30 secs and start it back up again... all should be normal.
Wow man, what a great explaination Jerich0, it happened just as you described it, it's like you were driving with me man hehehe. Yes, the car was on, I was riding at an average of 40mph and suddenly the fan turned on and kept "on" for like 40 minutes. I got very scared that the fan would eventually fail to be honest, thank God it didn't!

Thanks a lot Jerich0 for sharing this with me, more than helpful information!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #17
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Alex do you happen to know where this fan sensor is located?

JC
Sorry bro, no idea where the sensor is located, the BMW tech personnel took care of checking my car behind closed doors (you know how they are).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #18
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Sorry bro, no idea where the sensor is located, the BMW tech personnel took care of checking my car behind closed doors (you know how they are).

I understand, its a strange problem if you check with the 3 series F30 forums you will see many people describing the same problems as you and I did.

Did the dealer tell you anything about a DME (ecu control unit) update for your car? they only cleaned the sensor?

Remember next time it happens just cycle the engine to get rid of the fan noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #19
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
I understand, its a strange problem if you check with the 3 series F30 forums you will see many people describing the same problems as you and I did.

Did the dealer tell you anything about a DME (ecu control unit) update for your car? they only cleaned the sensor?

Remember next time it happens just cycle the engine to get rid of the fan noise.
No man, they didn't mention that about the ECU, they only told me "we ran a Full diagnostics check on your car, everything was normal. Then we ran a test specifically for the fan and its sensor, all good, so we went and disconnected the fan sensor and did cleaning on it just to be sure is not due to dirtyness; so please go on an use the car as you do every day and let us know."
Appreciate 0