F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > RTTI traffic flow gone
Studio RSR

11-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

RTTI traffic flow gone

Over the last few days, the traffic flow (red amber green road colours) have gone from my pro nav, even though the option is still ticked. Satnav has gone to using TMC updates, which are fairly pointless. I also can't access emails via the car's system any more. This all suggests to me that the car has no mobile connection on the inbuilt sim.

Is there a reset of some sort I can perform, or is this a dealer job?

Thanks

JD6
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Try resetting the idrive by pushing in the radio on/off button for 30 secs
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Try resetting the idrive by pushing in the radio on/off button for 30 secs
Thanks. Didn't know about that - worth a shot but it hasn't solved it unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
JB14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 320D MSport EBII

I had this problem on Friday and assumed it was probably just a network issue as I believe the bmw systems were down for a long period on Friday. Not been back in the car since.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think mine has been not working for 5 days now, so it will be a trip to the dealer unless anyone has other suggestions
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Over the last few days, the traffic flow (red amber green road colours) have gone from my pro nav, even though the option is still ticked. Satnav has gone to using TMC updates, which are fairly pointless. I also can't access emails via the car's system any more. This all suggests to me that the car has no mobile connection on the inbuilt sim.

Thanks

JD6
Do you get the red/amber/green traffic flow only when following an "active" route in Pro Nav?

I have mine on split screen all the time, LH half radio, RH half on Nav showing direction of travel (zoomed-in 3D view). While I've noticed roadworks appearing on this now and again, not seen the red/amber/green flow you mention?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey View Post
Do you get the red/amber/green traffic flow only when following an "active" route in Pro Nav?

I have mine on split screen all the time, LH half radio, RH half on Nav showing direction of travel (zoomed-in 3D view). While I've noticed roadworks appearing on this now and again, not seen the red/amber/green flow you mention?

Thanks in advance.
I get red/amber/green traffic flow info all of the time on the map, including when not using guidance. Traffic Flow, accessed via the queuing cars symbol on the LHS of the nav screen, is ticked. Or at least I did get it all of the time until about 5 days ago.

I find this info extremely useful so I am missing it.

When I enter a destination, it would give me an arrival time and use this RTTI data to calculate the total delay included in the arrival time. Now it just uses TMC data which is a very poor relation of RTTI.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:

Thanks

JD6
Has the service come to an end? Do you have to renew? Although sure it's 3 years...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 01:13 PM   #9
nobby810996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I had similar recently and also noticed I lost some of the online connected drive options. Took it to dealers who rebooted it and that fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Dude View Post
Has the service come to an end? Do you have to renew? Although sure it's 3 years...
It still has 2.5 years to run. I would renew at £10pm after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobby810996 View Post
I had similar recently and also noticed I lost some of the online connected drive options. Took it to dealers who rebooted it and that fixed it.
I hope it is that simple. I don't want to be out of my car for too long. I tried the reboot suggested above, but perhaps there is a more complete reboot available to dealers.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

Quote:

Thanks

JD6
Quick way to test your data connection, go to ConnectedDrive > Service Status, if you have no data connection then the option to Update BMW Services is greyed out.

I had a similar issue last week, but noticed it was only failing in my local town, once I moved to another area it started working again, but upon arriving back home all went offline, seemed to suggest the connection to our local phone mast had dropped somewhere. However all seems well again.

When you say you cannot access email I presume you mean via the onlie portal and not bluetooth from your phone?

Best way to reset is as per teastons suggestion, maybe disconnect any periphal devices before doing it though just in case there is a conflict somewhere (snap-in adapters, ipods etc..)
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4springer View Post
Quick way to test your data connection, go to ConnectedDrive > Service Status, if you have no data connection then the option to Update BMW Services is greyed out.

I had a similar issue last week, but noticed it was only failing in my local town, once I moved to another area it started working again, but upon arriving back home all went offline, seemed to suggest the connection to our local phone mast had dropped somewhere. However all seems well again.

When you say you cannot access email I presume you mean via the onlie portal and not bluetooth from your phone?

Best way to reset is as per teastons suggestion, maybe disconnect any periphal devices before doing it though just in case there is a conflict somewhere (snap-in adapters, ipods etc..)
I don't have the Service Status sub menu item, let alone Update BMW Services unfortunately.

With email, I do mean via the clunky BMW Online system. It has stopped working.

I have no devices connected to the car, except my iPhone 5S via Bluetooth for music streaming and phone. I will try switching that off in case there is a conflict, and then reset again.

This isn't just a local phone mast unfortunately, as I don't get Traffic flow info when in a much larger area than would be covered by one or two masts.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

To conclude this. My car has just spent a day and a half at the dealer. They sounded a bit vague about how to go about solving this, but did a major software update overnight apparently. It is now back to working perfectly.

Getting back in the 335d after 120 miles in a manual 320d M Sport was a real pleasure!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

For the last 5 days, I've had the same. Previously working RTTI has been replaced by TMC.
Plus one of my horns has given up the ghost.

Trip to dealers is on the cards.....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #15
Sladester100
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d & G29 M40i First Edtn

Garage List
That is annoying. How does your single horn sound? ;-)

JD6 did they say what had happened?

I have this but intermittently like perhaps on the odd short journey and then it's back again so I just presumed that was signal issues on those specific occasions rather than a fault but will keep an eye on it I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:08 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladester100 View Post

I have this but intermittently like perhaps on the odd short journey and then it's back again so I just presumed that was signal issues on those specific occasions rather than a fault but will keep an eye on it I think.
They didn't. When I collected the car, it wasn't the usual Service Department person. I have a feeling that they just updated the firmware, as now when I select a navigation destination it goes through a 10-15 second animated routine of selecting the route, zooming in and tilting to Perspective view. Luckily the first instruction is already displayed on the HUD, or that could be quite annoying!

I have certainly lost RTTI for other short periods, which I think relates to Vodafone masts being down, and that just comes back by itself. I think that is what you are experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:19 AM   #17
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Like a clown car!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Just had horn and the RTTI issue fixed. Took about 6 hours, allegedly 4 hours of that was updating or re-installing the iDrive.

The thing I first noticed was RTTI wasn't working but then on further probing all my Connected Drive services weren't working either - the options had disappeared from the menu. So guess my car had lost it's data connection somehow but all fixed now. Didn't realise how good and accurate the RTTI map colours were until I was missing them!

Also saw a leaflet telling me about my dealer's referral incentive of 50quid per customer, so that should mean I'm eligible for £100 as my Dad has just bought a 420i and a colleague bought a 320i GT from the salesman I sent them too. Email sent to try and claim. Not often you leave a dealership with a profit!
Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      02-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

£50 referral is pretty stingy on kit this expensive.....
I think PlusNet did £50 referral for broadband
      02-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #20
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
£50 referral is pretty stingy on kit this expensive.....
I think PlusNet did £50 referral for broadband
True, but still better than nowt!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Indeed and like you say £100 up, result!
      02-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #22
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I'm regarding it as 0.17% towards the total cost of an M3!

Man maths overdrive
Appreciate 0