GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

Best mode to use on the track

I know this has been touched on in other areas on the forum here but I am looking for some feedback. I had my first track weekend and played around using sport and sport + settings both while leaving traction control on (the button next to DCT lever). As I was getting more comfortable with the car and the track as I was increasing my speed the traction control light was coming on constantly. I had read to NOT use MDM and made sure it was off. As I was increasing speed it was more and more intrusive, especially coming out of the corners trying to get back on the power for the long straight stretches. Out of each corner there was a hesitation while the traction control light flashed. I am not ready to turn the traction control completely off yet so I am looking on some feedback as to what settings others are using at the track. I only have (6) track days under my belt but looking to do many more. Even with the frustration of that flashing light I still had a blast and cannot wait to get back out there. Any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Start with MDM as it will give more slip before TC cuts in.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

MDM and traction control are part of the overall stability control system, you cannot turn on or off traction control independently in this car. MDM increases the limits before the system intervenes on behalf of the driver, but we all heard that it is still intrusive, particularly for advance drivers.

That being said you may be able to use MDM without too much risk, although I do not know this first hand. Having 6 track days under your belt, you are certainly on the right path, but the answer you are looking for is modifying your actions that tend to trigger those interventions. For example, you may be getting on the throttle too early, too abruptly, or have too much steering while also having too much throttle, or .... There may be couple dozen different reasons why this may be happening.

To find out how you can drive while minimizing the intervention of these safety systems have discussions with your instructors while driving and after the sessions, ride with known to drive well drivers in your club and do not miss the skid pad exercises.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Insureit1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 SBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
MDM and traction control are part of the overall stability control system, you cannot turn on or off traction control independently in this car. MDM increases the limits before the system intervenes on behalf of the driver, but we all heard that it is still intrusive, particularly for advance drivers.

That being said you may be able to use MDM without too much risk, although I do not know this first hand. Having 6 track days under your belt, you are certainly on the right path, but the answer you are looking for is modifying your actions that tend to trigger those interventions. For example, you may be getting on the throttle too early, too abruptly, or have too much steering while also having too much throttle, or .... There may be couple dozen different reasons why this may be happening.

To find out how you can drive while minimizing the intervention of these safety systems have discussions with your instructors while driving and after the sessions, ride with known to drive well drivers in your club and do not miss the skid pad exercises.

Best of luck.
Good points and some of what you said we did discuss. I did not use MDM but will next time. I was quickest in sport + but TC interfering. I am certain I could have been smoother with throttle out of the turns but the TC was engaging on straights as well but again that could be from abrupt throttle inputs. I have tracked a Boxster S without the same issue but was down 100+ HP on the M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Boxster S is a superb platform on the track, particularly for beginner to intermediate drivers. As you noted it is down on power and more importantly on torques. Equally advantageous, the BS has better weight distribution. Combined all those features make the BS a lot easier to drive. I am coming from a similar platform into my first M, and am looking forward to finding out more on how to best drive this car. I hope you'll join us at the track with the PCA still next season
Appreciate 0