F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New 330d Lux F31 - what suspension?
Studio RSR

11-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 Luxury sDrive

New 330d Lux F31 - what suspension?

Hi all - first post on here!

To get adaptive suspension or not?

I am seriously considering ordering a new 330d Luxury Touring to replace my F10 as we need the practicality of an estate and the F10/11 is on the large side. We drove a 320d Lux Touring on standard suspension and it seemed OK in the few miles we did at normal/slowish speeds, but I wonder if adaptive would give an improved ride combined with more control? Haven't had a chance to try a 330d or one fitted with adaptive suspension.

The salesman says adaptive suspension may not be worth the extra unless planning to drive really hard on twisty roads. I am looking for a balance of comfortable ride and good handling and would like to know if adaptive suspension on Comfort setting is more comfortable than standard on the Luxury, and with it having sensors being constantly adjusted is it better damped if hitting some uneven surface or taking a corner with a dip or crest in it - ie: less wallowing than normal suspension - is this correct please?

From what I have read I am more confident that in Sport or Sport+ it firms things up to Msport or better for good handling and control at high speed.

I would be interested in views based on experience on normal vs adaptive vs Msport suspension as I want to get the right spec (without needless expense) as I plan to run the car for 6 or 7 years.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Adaptive Suspension polarises views on here. My dealer also didn't recommend it to me, but I went for it after my demo 330d had it and 20" wheels... This had a ride quality at least on a par with my E90 SE on 17" wheels.

I have a 330d sDrive saloon with Adaptive Suspension presently running on summer 19" run flats, I mostly drive in comfort mode and find it both very comfortable and controlled. I would highly recommend it. However, 99% of my driving us in comfort mode... I occasionally play in sports mode... Though, it reacts nicely in comfort mode, when it needs to.

Some keen drivers say the sports mode is too stiff and prefer the passive MSport Suspension setup for spirited driving.

On a luxury sDrive it will give you a 10mm lowered ride height. xDrives are all the same height. Most folk on here run M Sports and say it is required with an xDrive to give a sportier drive.

Overall, it's an option I rate highly, mostly for the Dr Jekyll comfort mode. However, I also get the lowered ride height and stance of an M Sport. Sport mode brings huge grip for Mr Hyde to play...
      11-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #3
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for your comments Rich

Although I haven't had an opportunity to drive a Luxury with Adaptive, your views pretty much confirm what I imagine it is like.

I will be going for a Luxury sDrive on the standard 18" wheels in summer, also going to get another set of wheels with winter tyres but don't know yet what size they will be.

My main concern and what I am looking for reassurance on is how Adaptive compares to standard as fitted to a Luxury (on 18" wheels). I wouldn't want Comfort to be too soft and 'floaty' then the Sport to be very firm with no in between - because if that is the case I would be better with the standard suspension, but if the adaptive is nice and comfortable yet with good control on corners at medium speeds and gives an overall improvement to the ride on standard suspension then it's well worth having - then there is the option to have a play in Sport mode too on occasions. I won't be driving at breakneck speeds so I don't need ultimate handling at the expense of comfort, but I do drive 'enthusiastically' and need a good blend of comfort and control - so if Adaptive does that better than Standard then that's what I will get.

Based on the above does everyone agree I should get Adaptive - or save money and stick with Standard suspension?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #4
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

I commented on BMWLand as Elan362.
IMO passive Sdrive SE suspension may be too soft for all round driving. Passive Sdrive Msport suspension gets very good comments, passive Msport xdrive suspension is similar to passive Sdrive and for many "enthusiastic" drivers this is too soft & wallowy.

Adaptive (Sdrive SE & XDrive Msport) gives the opportunity to choose between wafting in comfort and from in sport.

There are discussions as to whether adaptive is jack of all trades, master of none but I'm glad I have it.

I may improve it further in time by adding ACS springs.

I'd say go for adaptive if your car has SE suspension and stay passive if your car has Msport suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsh View Post
My main concern and what I am looking for reassurance on is how Adaptive compares to standard as fitted to a Luxury (on 18" wheels). I wouldn't want Comfort to be too soft and 'floaty' then the Sport to be very firm with no in between - because if that is the case I would be better with the standard suspension, but if the adaptive is nice and comfortable yet with good control on corners at medium speeds and gives an overall improvement to the ride on standard suspension then it's well worth having - then there is the option to have a play in Sport mode too on occasions. I won't be driving at breakneck speeds so I don't need ultimate handling at the expense of comfort, but I do drive 'enthusiastically' and need a good blend of comfort and control - so if Adaptive does that better than Standard then that's what I will get.
You really need to try it for yourself, as opinions differ as to how users feel about the adaptive suspension. Some drivers like the predictability of a passive suspension, adaptive is designed to be as soft as possible, but firm where necessary, feels different.

Personally I found standard SE suspension is not controlled enough when driving enthusiastically. I'd be optioning adaptive without question, best of both worlds, as it were.

But I'm biased, as I drive a 5-series with adaptive suspension and love the wide working envelope it provides. OK, the Five runs a more advanced system, but the ability to change the suspension setting during a journey, according to roads I'm driving and/or my mood is what gives it top score.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
IMO passive Sdrive SE suspension may be too soft for all round driving.
Was my opinion after a test drive, if I'd have gone for the F31 I'd have either gone for passive M-sport suspension or adaptive. I'm sure it would have been the adaptive in my case, to get the choice of modes in one suspension.

Suspensions are a compromise anyway, it is a case of specifying what gives us personally the best compromises for our driving.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

I have a 325d Luxury with adaptive which I find great ! However, it is all subjective and relative. For example, if I drive around in 'comfort' for a while and then change to 'sport' the suspension feels very hard. However, once I have driven in 'sport' for a while it feels comfortable !

If I had to choose between the standard or the msport suspension I would choose the latter. However, on the Luxury, the adaptive was only about £350 extra more than the msport so I paid for it and don't regret it. Like you, I keep my cars for a long while and it is better to pay up for something than spend years with regrets !
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for your comments.

I will order Adaptive as it at least gives me a choice - and of course I can have a change when in the mood. As you say it is subjective as we get used to what we have and then think that's the best. The last thing I want to do is get a new car then regret not getting something costing just £750 or so - it sounds a lot on it's own but added to the cost of the car it is a small amount to pay for the peace of mind that I will find a setting I am happy with.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 08:51 AM   #9
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

I will order Adaptive as it at least gives me a choice - and of course I can have a change when in the mood. As you say it is subjective as we get used to what we have and then think that's the best. The last thing I want to do is get a new car then regret not getting something costing just £750 or so - it sounds a lot on it's own but added to the cost of the car it is a small amount to pay for the peace of mind that I will find a setting I am happy with.
To throw a spanner in the works, my first F30 I specced adaptive, I dropped it for the second as I just did not like it.

Note: Hardcore driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #10
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
Quote:

I will order Adaptive as it at least gives me a choice - and of course I can have a change when in the mood. As you say it is subjective as we get used to what we have and then think that's the best. The last thing I want to do is get a new car then regret not getting something costing just 750 or so - it sounds a lot on it's own but added to the cost of the car it is a small amount to pay for the peace of mind that I will find a setting I am happy with.
To throw a spanner in the works, my first F30 I specced adaptive, I dropped it for the second as I just did not like it.

Note: Hardcore driver.
Were your cars with Msport or SE / xdrive? (I think they are likely to have been Msport s-drive) but please clarify if I'm incorrect.
So the passive Msport option is not available to the OP.
The options are either passive (SE) or adaptive (SE/xdrive)

I would ask, given these two options, which would your preference be? "None/ another setup" isn't an option in afraid.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
RichardJS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW330D

I have a 330d SE with adaptive M-sport and am very happy with it. Comfort is fine for most driving but gets floaty on undulating A and B roads if driven fairly briskly. Sport mode makes the car much more controllable in these situations but remains perfectly comfortable - only being noticeably a bit too stiff once in town. I certainly wouldn't have wanted the passive SE suspension if it's as soft as Comfort mode but haven't tried the passive M-sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Were your cars with Msport or SE / xdrive? (I think they are likely to have been Msport s-drive) but please clarify if I'm incorrect.
So the passive Msport option is not available to the OP.
The options are either passive (SE) or adaptive (SE/xdrive)

I would ask, given these two options, which would your preference be? "None/ another setup" isn't an option in afraid.
Correct they were both M Sport sDrives.

Now I have seen the light, I would buy any F3x whether it was xDrive, sDrive, SE, etc with passive suspension knowing I would immediately change it for Bilstein PSS10 KOMFORT. This gives a compliant yet controlled ride.

When it comes to suspension, we as consumers have been led to believe you either have rock hard 'Sports' suspension, or soft and wallowy. The Bilstein kit proves that quality components improves both.

I would not be able to own any stock suspensioned BMW F3x series now.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

Quote:

Spot on. Trust me. you won't regret it
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #14
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroF31 View Post
Spot on. Trust me. you won't regret it
Car ordered F31 330d Luxury on M Sport Adaptive suspension, standard 18" wheels in summer and 17" for winter tyres. I feel content that I will be happy mostly in Comfort but will definitely be using Sport too on occasions. A few other goodies on the car too, given 10 Feb delivery date (but it might change).

Thanks for all you comments and opinions.
Appreciate 0