THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - New England Local Detailer - RI Area

11-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Local Detailer - RI Area

Well I think I waited a little to long to prep my car with a nice coat of wax for the winter...It's still got the dealers very thin coat on it which I can't imagine holding up for the winter.

Anyone know a good detailer in the RI/Southern MA area? I don't have a garage and I'm not so sure about waxing it when it's about 35-40 degrees out. I'm really just looking for some winter protection.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Haha, i just bought a polisher, and some real nice Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 Sealant. Sealants are better than waxes, and last longer. This one is supposed to be really good for winter time, and says it can last up to 6 months. I have to wash my car first, then polish, and then I'll apply the sealant for the winter. Detailing is a pretty intricate process

Name:  flowchart.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  174.6 KB

Applying anything with no cutting would be ok, waxes, sealants.. But anything with cut, I need to practice on proper technique I do have a garage, I am slowly installing a heater in it for this exact purpose, and then some better lightning for detailing. You are more than welcome to try it out. I have a 6" Porter XP 6124XP Dual Action Polisher, w/ 6.5" CCS Pads. Just pay for the pads and sealants

Last edited by zipphreak; 11-16-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

OP what makes you think the dealer's very thin coat is no good?
Any product once buffed out or left to dry protects the paint by being a very thin coat. The description of polymer-bonding leaving a protective shield is probably more marketing then an accurate description of how the product finalizes on the paint.
It's probably better to attempt to get in hand washings during the cold temps then detailing at this time.
Anyway 40-degrees is good washing weather, and waiting till the temps hit 60-degrees so you can wax, won't harm the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Can't wait to get this heater installed, then i can do most of the detailing indoors.

Also the Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 takes 12 hours to fully cure before it can get wet/damp.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Sorry thin wasn't the right choice of words...obviously all protectant is thin...hastily and carelessly applied is probably a better choice of words. The waters still beading so maybe it'll be OK all winter.

My wife and I will be buying a house in about a year. A garage with hot water access is a must. You're going to laugh... I put my winter wheels on yesterday and washed my summer wheels in the bathtub. Actually made it very pleasant to do...nice and warm...my wife doesn't care..she knows i give the tub a full detail afterwords. I've been doing this during the winter foR my road bike for years.

Zipp I imagine the polisher will make waxing much easier. I've always done it by hand..I like washing my car but claying/waxing is a pain.

Last edited by mfourn20; 11-16-2014 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I also didn't intend to minimize the importance of waxing, and trying to knock out a wash and wax on a warm day during the winter.
Appreciate 0