E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Oil Cooler Kits

01-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
stan
Rep
Drives:

Dinan Oil Cooler Kits

The problem

The high oil temperature in 335 is well known problem with the 335i. When we started our research on the 335i performance upgrades we verified the oil temperature problem by performing several tests. All tests were performed at an ambient temperature of between 60-70 F and at the stock boost setting and on a car equipped with the factory oil cooler. Under steady state cruise the oil temp was 240F! When driven hard on a two lane road after 10 minutes the oil temp was between 290-300 F! At Thunder hill race track the engine oil temp pegged the gauge and the control system put the car into limp home mode after 3 laps! We were shocked because this was not even a hot summer day. We were convinced at this point that the car needed a more efficient oil cooler even with stock boost. In addition to the track day, we did some testing on the intercooler and radiator efficiency and found those to be well below standard. However the radiator and intercooler were not as bad as the oil cooler so we decided to concentrate on the oil cooler first.

We first looked at placement, as it is important that the oil cooler not be placed in front of the radiator and intercooler because the heat coming off the oil cooler would then put additional burden on the all ready marginal radiator and intercooler. Therefore it was decided to keep the oil cooler of to the side like the stock unit with separate inlet and outlet. Air flow through the oil cooler was as much a problem as the size of the oil cooler itself so improved ducting would be important to the design.

Design

For those looking to reduce oil temperatures problems Dinan is now introducing large oil cooler kits for the 335i coupe and sedans. This new oil cooler will mount in the same area as the stock oil cooler on both the coupe and sedan bumper style.

The Dinan large oil cooler is a prime example of quality engineering that Dinan is known for. The tolerances and fitment for the kit is quality that can only be found at the factory. The oil cooler is made from quality materials and uses the factory BMW thermostat housing for temperature control. Even the swaged and pressure tested lightweight oil hoses have chafe resistant sleeves to keep a clean look throughout the engine bay. Because the oil cooler sits on the lower passenger side of the bumper, the Dinan oil cooler is mounted on BMW factory bushings and has special swivel type mounts that allow it to be impact resistant to curbs and the factory fog light. Just in case.

This oil cooler has a capacity that is nearly double that of stock with a capacity of 19 oz. compared to the stock volume of only 9.5 oz. Dinan has added over 13 new cooling tubes over stock which equates to a cooling tube area of over 414 sq. inches compared to stock which is 112.5 sq. inches. This is an increase of cooling percentage by over 400%! For those that are running higher than stock boost, and even those running stock boost, will greatly benefit from the temperature control that the Dinan oil cooler provides.

Along with a larger cooler the intake and exhaust for the oil cooler was improved. Testing showed the mouth of brake duct was larger than the throat would flow. So the brake duct inlet was reduced to increase the inlet to the oil cooler. During the prototyping stages of the oil cooler, the throat size was increased in the duct to the oil cooler as well. Dinan used IR temperature guns to monitor the brake temperature recovery and matched both sides to within 5 degrees. This is import to prevent he brakes from being completely off balance, meaning that under hard use; the brakes would fade unevenly, allowing one side to pull harder than the other.

On the exit side of the oil cooler, there are specially designed louvers that were engineered for two specific reasons. The first reason is to increase air flow through the oil cooler the second reason was to reduce the amount of air going into the wheel well at high speed. This reduces lift in the front of the car at high speed improving handling.

This oil cooler design has been race proven in our Daytona prototype race cars for four years and has been very efficient.

Results

The Dinan oil cooler has been designed to have its own specially sized intake and outlet for the air that moves through the oil cooler. This is the only way that oil coolers, intercoolers, radiators any other type of heat exchangers can work effectively. Most oil coolers are used improperly by being placed in front of radiators which essentially moves hot air from the oil cooler to the radiator, consequently cooling the oil and raising the water temperature of the engine. This then makes the radiator less effective for cooling the engine.

All tests were performed at an ambient temperature of between 60-70 F and at the Dinan boost setting which is increased by 50% over stock. With the Dinan oil cooler the normal operating range is lowered to 210°F at light throttle cruise. Under hard driving on a two lane country road the temperature stays between 210- 226°F range. A race track test has not been performed as of yet but we expect dramatic improvements there as well. Even with the boost increase with the Dinan oil cooler, the average temperature drop in the engine is around 30°-70°F, which puts the car below the limp mode temperature and keeps the engine safer all year round, especially those in hotter climates. While most companies try to make parts that make your car go fast, Dinan also makes parts that make your car live longer.

comparison table and package pricing

Dinan Oil Cooler

Oil Cooler Kit with lightweight lines

Vent Size Comparison

Oil Cooler Size Comparison

Louver rear view

Front side installed

Contact your local authorized Dinan dealer or call us at 800-341-5480
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
BJG1968
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan.

Nice product no doubt, but the price?? I have the factory oil cooler and have never seen any temperature over 250. I also live almost a mile above sea level and see temperatures in the summer up to 100. Not bashing, but can't see too many buyers
at that price!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
DI3350
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E92

2000 dollars for that? sorry but its fat too much
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

Don't forget the 6-8 hour labor charge on top of the price.

I would love one but not at that price

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan@dinan View Post
All tests were performed at an ambient temperature of between 60-70 F and at the stock boost setting and on a car equipped with the factory oil cooler. Under steady state cruise the oil temp was 240F! When driven hard on a two lane road after 10 minutes the oil temp was between 290-300 F!

I call BS, I don't get anywhere near that in 90 degree ambients driving harder than you could be on a two lane road.

We know the non-equipped cars need them, but don't BS people who already have the cooler to try and sell them, you will only lose credibility.
      01-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I call BS, I don't get anywhere near that in 90 degree ambients driving harder than you could be on a two lane road.

We know the non-equipped cars need them, but don't BS people who already have the cooler to try and sell them, you will only lose credibility.
Well, my operating temps have actually decreased since getting the flash. Never above 240 now even with spirited driving. So I don't see the need for a new oil cooler unless your are racing your car, in which case with void your warranty.
      01-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

+1. I have pushed my car on more than a few occasions in 90+ degree weather and have never seen higher than 265-270 temps. I could never justify spending this much on an oil cooler when the factory one does the job just fine. I'd rather spend the money on KW V2 coilovers or a set of MORR VS7s.
      01-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It's 5% of the total cost of the car! Nice piece of kit and I understand the engineering time and warranty costs, but I have to say I am with everyone else - Dinan should be able to make good money at $1000 and they would sell like hot cakes, but $2000 is just taking advantage of everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

My car does not have a factory oil cooler and ocassionaly my temps hit 270...if the price was lowered to say around 1400-1500 and the installation cost was not a joke i would deff go for it but the price is the only factor holding me back....Dinan there are ALOT of potential customers on this forum and Dinan has a reputation for having ridiculous prices, CHANGE THAT REPUTATION....I totally understand that you have to make your buck on the deal but that cost is pushing it
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

thanks for showing us the new product. It's nice to see the side by side comparison over stock.

Let the bashing continue.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

2k cost is borderline insulting... amirite?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
DI3350
Rep

One curious thing i've seen,US oil dial reach to 300 degrees or some...170 is the top here in Europe,at less in mine!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #13
billspreston
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI3350 View Post
One curious thing i've seen,US oil dial reach to 300 degrees or some...170 is the top here in Europe,at less in mine!
US measurements are in Fahrenheit as opposed to pretty much everywhere else in the world, including Spain.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Oil temps are usually not an issue except on a track.
      01-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
DI3350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
2k cost is borderline insulting... amiright?
It comes whit the installation

Even :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
billspreston
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It comes whit the installation

Even
Says the guy who doesn't know Fahrenheit vs. Celsius.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #17
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

$2000 for a $100 oil cooler??

:laugh :

Good luck selling these!
      01-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
ithatel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 xdrive diesel.

Thanks Dinan

For all the bashing, let's not forget that heat is an enemy of the motor and its oil. I've dropped two valves racing a 2002 M3 motor at high elevations and high ambient temps. At that time a S54 motor from the factory was $14,000. Once you have experienced this - all other factors are moot.
Is $2,000 high - I don't know. Ask your BMW Dealer what a new 335i motor runs with install.
Let's let the other tuners who take orders from the people who post here chine in. What would they charge if they had to design and sell and install? I paid over $1,000 to have a race radiator installed, to save a motor it's cheap.
I live 200 miles from the nearest BMW dealer so, what is it worth to me? I'll tell ya - I will have the Dinan oil cooler installed when I get a chance to have the Dinan software loaded. And, yes I have the factory oil cooler. I would use both if it was offered.
I like the Dinan approach - more power safely.
I can't wait for all the bashers to read about safe long lasting power posts by Dinan engineered products over the next year.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #19
billspreston
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithatel View Post
For all the bashing, let's not forget that heat is an enemy of the motor and its oil. I've dropped two valves racing a 2002 M3 motor at high elevations and high ambient temps. At that time a S54 motor from the factory was $14,000. Once you have experienced this - all other factors are moot.
Is $2,000 high - I don't know. Ask your BMW Dealer what a new 335i motor runs with install.
Let's let the other tuners who take orders from the people who post here chine in. What would they charge if they had to design and sell and install? I paid over $1,000 to have a race radiator installed, to save a motor it's cheap.
I live 200 miles from the nearest BMW dealer so, what is it worth to me? I'll tell ya - I will have the Dinan oil cooler installed when I get a chance to have the Dinan software loaded. And, yes I have the factory oil cooler. I would use both if it was offered.
I can't wait for all the bashers to read about safe long lasting power posts by Dinan engineered products over the next year.
Nobody is denying the fact that Dinan is offering safe power, the oil cooler being part of that package. The price is very expensive and not justifiable for most. The oil cooler is a great thing, the price is not.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #20
DI3350
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
Says the guy who doesn't know Fahrenheit vs. Celsius.
Hey! we just discover America and give a name to your city,things like that...we dont care about how did you get the temperature measurements,fahrenheit,celsius budweisser or whatever

It wasnt my intention to disturb you sorry sir!!! .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #21
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithatel View Post

No one doubts the integrity of the engineering...... $2000 have you no idea the cost of an oil cooler for other marques? Way over-priced.

Someone wrote 5% the value of the car! That is ridiculous. Add the SW and you just tacked on 10% cost to the car where the residual is 0%. You will be throwing away money.
      01-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #22
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

Quote:
Hey! we just discover America and give a name to your city,things like that...we dont care about how did you get the temperature measurements,fahrenheit,celsius budweisser or whatever

It wasnt my intention to disturb you sorry sir!!! .
LOL you discover America and give "name" to our city?

Its Budweiser btw
Appreciate 0