F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Delete Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

11-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #1
Black16
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32

Delete Thread

Delete thread

Last edited by Black16; 01-23-2015 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

If you did leave anything under the bonnet and it was the bonnet pin not locating properly then it will definitely be under warranty!

I've never heard of that happening to a car before by the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
shane_hants
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318D Sport

Have you cut your number plate down? A little chavvy for such a nice car don't you think?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:27 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

If nothing left under the bonnet, then can't see it being anything but warranty, the fun will be proving it and how accepting dealer is.

Ditto number plate
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
Black16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

there was nothing left under the bonnet, now to call the dealer

the number plate I know doesn't look great but its retractable so I can hide it if I want.

same as this guy

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB16 View Post

the number plate I know doesn't look great but its retractable so I can hide it if I want.

same as this guy
Why would you want a retractable number plate?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #7
geordiepaul
F31 330d M Performanced up.
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Why would you want a retractable number plate?
Is that a Bond car....or maybe you can't tell us
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #8
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Quote:

same as this guy

Love it, albeit I can imagine justifying a retractable plate to the police could be fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #9
shane_hants
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318D Sport

Quote:

same as this guy

Unless you regularly break the law, why on earth would you want a retractable numberplate?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #10
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

The car is registered in Illinois where front/rear plates are law.

Since many people live in Illinois and work/commute to Indiana or another state where front plates are not required and viewed as 'uncool' the owner has clearly gone for the options to have the clean look.

I personally don't think many European cars look clean without a plate (Alfa is the exception) as they've all been designed to accommodate one! The MSport bumper could be an exception I guess.

It works on some of the trucks though, nice big chrome bumpers!
      11-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #11
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Also useful for trackdays so insurers can't tell its your car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:53 AM   #12
Black16
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think it just looks cleaner without a front plate for shows ect

Im really upset about my bonnet
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:59 AM   #13
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:

Oops, yes!

No paint cracked so far as I can see so it would be a PDR job anyway. I think you need to first pursue the dealer with the 'this ain't fit for purpose' argument.

Good luck, report back.
      11-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

Unless the dealer can see a fault with the bonnet mechanism, or this is a known problem, I can only imagine BMW refusing any claim.

The appearance of the damage is that something has been left inside when the bonnet was closed, so they are going to take some convincing that this didn't happen.

This is OT, and apologies for that, but that plate mechanism could well be illegal. It would clearly be very handy for anyone wanting to avoid front facing cameras such as SPECS, or not paying for fuel, even if that is unlikely to be your intention.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
Burtz789
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd

Like others have said, it appears to be damage caused by something left under the bonnet causing it bend up when you shut it. I'd be expecting BMW to be saying "no" to warranty work unless there is a manufacturing fault somewhere in the bonnet mechanism.

Oh and regarding the folding number plate, be very careful, there was a motorbike rider who was caught with exactly the same thing by an unmarked police traffic unit despite the "it's just for show, I can't think how it folded" argument the rider went to court for perverting the course of justice and got gaol time, 6 months if I remember right!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Unless the dealer can see a fault with the bonnet mechanism, or this is a known problem, I can only imagine BMW refusing any claim.

The appearance of the damage is that something has been left inside when the bonnet was closed, so they are going to take some convincing that this didn't happen.

This is OT, and apologies for that, but that plate mechanism could well be illegal. It would clearly be very handy for anyone wanting to avoid front facing cameras such as SPECS, or not paying for fuel, even if that is unlikely to be your intention.

They are also handy for anyone committing more serious crimes, drug dealing, rape, bank robbery, sitting outside kids play grounds, oh and of course stealing other people's cars.
Nope can't think of a single reason for a flipper plate outside certain States across the pond.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtz789 View Post
Like others have said, it appears to be damage caused by something left under the bonnet causing it bend up when you shut it. I'd be expecting BMW to be saying "no" to warranty work unless there is a manufacturing fault somewhere in the bonnet mechanism.

Oh and regarding the folding number plate, be very careful, there was a motorbike rider who was caught with exactly the same thing by an unmarked police traffic unit despite the "it's just for show, I can't think how it folded" argument the rider went to court for perverting the course of justice and got gaol time, 6 months if I remember right!!
What's gaol time?!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #18
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
What's gaol time?!
Gaol is just another spelling of jail.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #19
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtz789 View Post

If his plate was flipped on the public highway and he was doing something naughty at the time I can see that. Otherwise it would surely just be a construction and use issue. Otherwise that would be like nicking someone for wearing a balaclava even though they were just walking down the street. Unless caught red handed in the act as it were or under a specific act such carrying an offensive weapon, It's for the prosecution to prove criminal intent not the defendant to prove innocent use. ( unless there's an offence of "going equipped to beat speed cameras" )
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #20
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
If his plate was flipped on the public highway and he was doing something naughty at the time I can see that. Otherwise it would surely just be a construction and use issue. Otherwise that would be like nicking someone for wearing a balaclava even though they were just walking down the street. Unless caught red handed in the act as it were or under a specific act such carrying an offensive weapon, It's for the prosecution to prove criminal intent not the defendant to prove innocent use. ( unless there's an offence of "going equipped to beat speed cameras" )
Ok it's thread drift, however...

Wearing a balaclava, carrying a bag of tools at same time etc can be justified, plumber in winter etc.
Number plate that flips, what reason would there ever be not to show your number plate that justifies installing something that hides it?
The only reasons are connected in committing a traffic offence or theft and not wanting to get caught.

What would people's thoughts be if the person crashing in to your car from behind had flipped number plates and you could not claim as no licence plate etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #21
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Ok it's thread drift, however...

Wearing a balaclava, carrying a bag of tools at same time etc can be justified, plumber in winter etc.
Number plate that flips, what reason would there ever be not to show your number plate that justifies installing something that hides it?
The only reasons are connected in committing a traffic offence or theft and not wanting to get caught.

What would people's thoughts be if the person crashing in to your car from behind had flipped number plates and you could not claim as no licence plate etc.
It's where the legal burden of proof lies. There are many instances of people walking scott free from what is obviously a wrongdoing but for various reasons the prosecution is unable to prove beyond any doubt the intent. And for very good reason. As once said: I'd rather 10 guilty men walked free than 1 innocent man be wrongly jailed.

You can't find someone guilty only because it looks like they want to commit a crime but actually aren't.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #22
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
It's where the legal burden of proof lies. There are many instances of people walking scott free from what is obviously a wrongdoing but for various reasons the prosecution is unable to prove beyond any doubt the intent. And for very good reason. As once said: I'd rather 10 guilty men walked free than 1 innocent man be wrongly jailed.

You can't find someone guilty only because it looks like they want to commit a crime but actually aren't.
I am happy with the odd bit of collateral damage

No one is truly innocent

Admittedly my approach to prison overcrowding is by burying some of them.
Appreciate 0