E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Engine failure & needs Replacement

11-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #1
Ged20d
Rep
Drives: E92 320i

Engine failure & needs Replacement

Hi all, so i have been on this forum for a good while now. Unfortunately i haven't posted must i certainly wish my first or second Topic was on more enjoyable terms for myself.

I have just learnt today that my engine has failed and it will need a replacement. The car is an 2009 e92 320i EC=N43B20A. I have been looking around a few websites trying to find not only a cheap engine but one with low mileage as well.

Now i know a big view on all the BMW forums when their members are asked if the 325i engine will fit in the 320i, is to sell the 320 and buy a 325 "which i totally agree with btw". BUT now i'm in a position where i can't really sell the car to value AND need to buy a new engine anyway!!! MAYBE... It could be a slight possibility to upgrade during the surgery?

SO... I was wondering if anyone on here has an idea if the engine will fit? OR if you are the proud owner of a e92 325i yourself, or know anyone with a 325. Would it be possible for you to PM me the chassis number as i believe the garage would need to match everything up with my chassis number to see if it would fit? I just don't have a 325i to match (unless i wait in my local Supermarket for one to pass)

Failing this i will just do like for like swap HAHA Its just a thought while i am in this predicament.

All views will be much appreciated!

Last edited by Ged20d; 11-25-2014 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Ged20d
Rep

OK so a little more info...

New engine £4k

Used engine around £1400

Apparently 325i is possible with mounts but the Mech at BMW said that i would have a nightmare with wiring loom and additional's. So now that's out of the question. Im looking for used units from breakers in the NW.

Anybody have experience swapping engines~?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged20d View Post
... Im looking for used units from breakers in the NW.

Anybody have experience swapping engines~?
Hey, I'm the NW and have swapped engines.

OOOPPS! Pacific NW in the USA (near Vancouver, BC, CA).

Good luck. I think you're smart not to try to "upgrade" engines. FYI, pretty much all BMW inline 6 engines have the same exterior dimensions - that's what makes it attractive. (Same in inline-4 engines.)

This job is a little tough DIY - usually have to break the engine and transmission apart to remove the engine through the hood (bonnet) (at the factory they are inserted as a unit from below.) Look for DIY for starter replacement for how-to - you'll need to do all that (including removing intake manifold) to break them apart.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 03:24 AM   #4
Ged20d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Hey, I'm the NW and have swapped engines.

OOOPPS! Pacific NW in the USA (near Vancouver, BC, CA).

Good luck. I think you're smart not to try to "upgrade" engines. FYI, pretty much all BMW inline 6 engines have the same exterior dimensions - that's what makes it attractive. (Same in inline-4 engines.)

This job is a little tough DIY - usually have to break the engine and transmission apart to remove the engine through the hood (bonnet) (at the factory they are inserted as a unit from below.) Look for DIY for starter replacement for how-to - you'll need to do all that (including removing intake manifold) to break them apart.
Hey floydarogers, thanks for the Reply and useful info. HAHA yeah NW England. It really didn't click where i was posting until i read this reply.

TBH i have had a think about it, and the like for like replacement doesn't seem that bad. Mine engine had done 47k miles and i had a quote for a used Engine for £1400 or £1800 FITTED with only 23k miles ???WINNER???
I guess as its on a work finance agreement i still win when it comes to selling the car as i pocket the £££ or $$$ either ways ha.

I have limited car knowledge but my neighbour/neighbor has done a few in the past and i think he has offered his services. You said you have swapped in the past?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
ThatRWD
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

How did it break ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged20d View Post
I have limited car knowledge but my neighbour/neighbor has done a few in the past and i think he has offered his services. You said you have swapped in the past?
Yeah. Lots of fun - barked knuckle time. I never wore gloves, but would if doing it again - these cotton with rubber front gloves seem to work well. You need at least two people, for sure. And a hoist and garage/covered space to work.

If you've got a good quote - appears to be ok - well worth the extra to have them fit it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #7
Ged20d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRWD View Post
How did it break ?
HUMMM WELL... I'm a little at fault here I had an engine warning light pop up a number of times, but whenever i restarted the Engine it went away? After reading a few bit son the Internet, in my infinite wisdom i diagnosed the fault as a possible Coil or spark plug issue.
Turned out to be a bit more sinister after putting it on the machine. VANOS had stretched the chain, which in turn was hammering a bolt into the head.
In my head now, if the chain was slack an engine restart wouldn't cause the light to go off? BUT I'M NO MECHANIC haha

My Lesson is that when the Warning Light Shows, i now know where to Goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Yeah. Lots of fun - barked knuckle time. I never wore gloves, but would if doing it again - these cotton with rubber front gloves seem to work well. You need at least two people, for sure. And a hoist and garage/covered space to work.

If you've got a good quote - appears to be ok - well worth the extra to have them fit it.
Yeah i think for 400 notes it would be a "no brainer" to have a Pro do it for me. Especially going off my diagnostics above.
As said at least i can reduce the miles now from 47 - 23k
Appreciate 0