E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > questions regarding OFHG DIY (325xi, N52)

11-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

questions regarding OFHG DIY (325xi, N52)

okay guys I am going to DIY my leaking OFHG this upcoming weekend. I have been reading the DIY articles, etc. to try to get prepared. I'm finding some confusing info so a few questions for clarification please:

1) do i need a set of reverse torx bits? One article I read says yes and the other says I can use an 8mm box end wrench?

2) do i need any coolant? One article says yes but at my local indy they said no. I had my coolant flushed not too long ago so I'm hoping I won't need any.

3) How difficult is the back side housing bolt to get to? Should i expect this to be a huge PITA?

thanks in advance & happy thanksgiving!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

For me it was worth it to have the E-torx bits, but what really saved the day for me was a Craftsman ratcheting multi-socket wrench. I tied a string to it and was able to feed it under the intake manifold without worrying about dropping it. Besides being tedious (dropping the wrench, resetting it, etc), this bolt wasn't a problem for me.

The second most useful thing that I got was a damaged bolt remover to get out the front bolt. There is next to no clearance between that bolt, the coolant hose and the radiator and mine was stuck. After an hour or so the back-out bit grabbed and I got that damned bolt out. I think I ran around the house to do a victory lap.

As for the coolant, I flushed the coolant and did an oil service at the same time as the OFHG.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigYahi View Post

As for the coolant, I flushed the coolant and did an oil service at the same time as the OFHG.
Haha i did the same thing, except when I went to drive it up on the ramps to remove the drain plug I hadn't yet torqued the OFHG bolts down yet. Oil sprayed everywhere. I spent 2 hours cleaning my engine bay, underbody panels, and garage floor. Fun night.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigYahi View Post
For me it was worth it to have the E-torx bits, but what really saved the day for me was a Craftsman ratcheting multi-socket wrench. I tied a string to it and was able to feed it under the intake manifold without worrying about dropping it. Besides being tedious (dropping the wrench, resetting it, etc), this bolt wasn't a problem for me.

The second most useful thing that I got was a damaged bolt remover to get out the front bolt. There is next to no clearance between that bolt, the coolant hose and the radiator and mine was stuck. After an hour or so the back-out bit grabbed and I got that damned bolt out. I think I ran around the house to do a victory lap.

Thanks for the info!

If i don't want to flush the coolant at this time do you think i'll be okay? (how much spillage of coolant should i expect?)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

^ I did the OFHG on both my E90 and E39's. Easy job. Yes you need the proper tools. Yes you'll need some coolant unless your OK with topping off with distilled water. It's just for "topping off" the coolant man. Don't get all nervous on me. Remove the filter so all the oil in there can drain. I did both with a cold engine. Make sure you have the torque spec also for the bolts!!!
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #6
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
^ I did the OFHG on both my E90 and E39's. Easy job. Yes you need the proper tools. Yes you'll need some coolant unless your OK with topping off with distilled water. It's just for "topping off" the coolant man. Don't get all nervous on me. Remove the filter so all the oil in there can drain. I did both with a cold engine. Make sure you have the torque spec also for the bolts!!!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Okay guys did this job this past weekend & just wanted to say thanks again for the help.

A couple of things of note in case anyone is getting ready to do this DIY:

1) the 3rd bolt in the rear was a huge PITA to get to! I ended up using an 8mm ratcheting box end wrench.

2) put some towels or something over your serpentine belt to avoid getting any oil or coolant on it.

3) the bleeding procedure for the cooling system was super easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I did my OFHG as well as Oil Cooler gasket on my 335i last week. While the process is not particularly hard or challenging. It can be if you don't prepare yourself with the proper tools and items. That being said I can see why are asking these questions because I had the same ones before I did mine. LOL

1) do i need a set of reverse torx bits? Get Them. They are worth it. My rule is that If you need the tool once... You'll probably need it again so go ahead and buy them. They aren't that expensive and can be found at any Harbor Freight or Sears for pretty cheap.

2) do i need any coolant? You don't need it. but i recommend getting new coolant unless you have recently (<5k miles) performed a coolant flush. If you're reusing coolant make sure you strain it before refilling. (5gal paint strainer works well)

3) How difficult is the back side housing bolt to get to? It is a pain. but only because it requires more steps of loosening the intake manifold, which in all honesty isn't bad if you have the proper tools and can turn a wrench.

Check Out some of my pics here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...595802&page=68
post #1481

Good Luck

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I just read your last post and you did it already! hah nice job. Hopefully My advice helps others.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #10
lvb125
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
Okay guys did this job this past weekend & just wanted to say thanks again for the help.

1) the 3rd bolt in the rear was a huge PITA to get to! I ended up using an 8mm ratcheting box end wrench.

2) put some towels or something over your serpentine belt to avoid getting any oil or coolant on it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you use a torque wrench to torque those 3 bolts? The one facing right and the one under the intake looks hard to torque properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #11
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

When doing OFHG can you reuse the bolts or have to get new ones like with the VCG?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvb125 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you use a torque wrench to torque those 3 bolts? The one facing right and the one under the intake looks hard to torque properly.
I ended up actually not using a torque wrench b/c 2 of the 3 bolts there was not really a way to get to them with the torque wrench (without removing a bunch of other stuff).

However, I was VERY careful to snug up the bolts in sequence, getting a little tighter each time. I have checked for leaks 3 times so far & don't see any. I will keep checking for leaks.

I know the ideal way would have been to use the torque wrench but I didn't feel all that comfortable removing the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
When doing OFHG can you reuse the bolts or have to get new ones like with the VCG?
From what I've read, only the bolts with the blue head are the one-time-use bolts. The ones for the OFHG were not blue, so I re-used them.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
From what I've read, only the bolts with the blue head are the one-time-use bolts. The ones for the OFHG were not blue, so I re-used them.
Thanks that's what I figured..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #15
Agentphish
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328i

Good info here. Thanks. Going to be doing this soon.
      12-02-2014, 09:12 AM   #16
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentphish View Post
Good info here. Thanks. Going to be doing this soon.
If you have a helper with really small hands to get to that 3rd bolt under the manifold that would probably be really helpful!

good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #17
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

For the 3rd bolt under manifold, I saw in youtube BMW technician gets it lose by a wobble e-torx socket on a long extension. I tried a 1/4 inch universal joint I had, didn't work, not enough clearance. Ended up removing all nuts on the intake manifold, and pulled up the manifold just enough to get the extension plus 1/4" universal joint plus e-torx socket to work.

An 8mm ratcheing box wrench is nice to have and not expensive at all, helps with the bolt facing downwards also.
The clutch slave cylinder bleed screw is also either 8 mm or 7 mm, so this is nice to have for that one. I actually had it remaining from that work.

Caution, the bolt under manifold, or any of the nuts of the manifold if you remove them can easily fall under and get lost some where in the engine compartment. A magnet pick toolto hold the bolt is helpful. Don't ask me how I know about it ..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:

Man, I really want to do this DIY too, but am nervous that if I start taking things apart, and either can't get all the bolts/parts off, OR can properly get things back together I will have to tow the car to a shop

I've read a bunch of DIY's on here, but the best one I read, the pictures didn't work... I am definitely a "picture DIY'er" and need them if I am going to tackle this.

Which DIY guides did you use? I am sure I am looking at most of the same ones.

I really want to do this myself, but am super nervous about it. Biggest DIY job I have done to date are my brakes, which are super easy...

(I also need to do my valve cover gasket - big surprise right? - but am in NO WAY going to DIY, this will 100% be a shop job unfortunately for me. I'd like to save some money though by doing the OFHG myself)
      12-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #19
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
For the 3rd bolt under manifold, I saw in youtube BMW technician gets it lose by a wobble e-torx socket on a long extension. I tried a 1/4 inch universal joint I had, didn't work, not enough clearance. Ended up removing all nuts on the intake manifold, and pulled up the manifold just enough to get the extension plus 1/4" universal joint plus e-torx socket to work.

An 8mm ratcheing box wrench is nice to have and not expensive at all, helps with the bolt facing downwards also.
The clutch slave cylinder bleed screw is also either 8 mm or 7 mm, so this is nice to have for that one. I actually had it remaining from that work.

Caution, the bolt under manifold, or any of the nuts of the manifold if you remove them can easily fall under and get lost some where in the engine compartment. A magnet pick toolto hold the bolt is helpful. Don't ask me how I know about it ..
Funny you mention that...my pops had just bought one of those along with the reverse torx bits to get this job & sure enough we had to use it! I should have mentioned that earlier.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
hockeyplayer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
Man, I really want to do this DIY too, but am nervous that if I start taking things apart, and either can't get all the bolts/parts off, OR can properly get things back together I will have to tow the car to a shop

I've read a bunch of DIY's on here, but the best one I read, the pictures didn't work... I am definitely a "picture DIY'er" and need them if I am going to tackle this.

Which DIY guides did you use? I am sure I am looking at most of the same ones.

I really want to do this myself, but am super nervous about it. Biggest DIY job I have done to date are my brakes, which are super easy...

(I also need to do my valve cover gasket - big surprise right? - but am in NO WAY going to DIY, this will 100% be a shop job unfortunately for me. I'd like to save some money though by doing the OFHG myself)
This was the one I found to be the most useful: http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm

I also read several of them here on the forum.

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Video as well if you need visuals. The guy is a BMW master technician, he has many other useful DIY videos besides this one:
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #22
TheSt1g
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I removed the coolant fan assembly on mine...that made getting to the front bolts really easy.

The fan comes straight up and out with just removing one bolt and the fan plug.
Appreciate 0