E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Europe (Continental) > Military Members and Taxes

01-09-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Military Members and Taxes

Alright folks. Just in case you didn't know. Yes, you bought the car here in Europe at a great price and tax free, but get ready. When you ship it back to the states, be prepared to pay sales tax on it when you go to register the car. It is the sales tax percentage for that state on the purchase price or currentor blue book value of the car, whichever is cheaper. Needless to say, I'm not pleased about wasting 3 grand on taxes, but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
wig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328I

Some states will waive the sales tax on vehicles purchased overseas
if you used it atleast 11 mos at that location, AL waived mine on a
Dodge Caravan 4 years ago. Hopefully the same will happen with my
328I.

Wig
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Vroom TURBO
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 x7

Ferg, since you're in Germany and I'll be there in a few months. I have a question about BMW's. I'm having a issue deciding on Sports Pack or just going with All Seasons. In K-Town are the winters so bad that my Sports Pack and Low pro tires would be deemed useless because of the need for snow tires??
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Andro07
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nothing Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom TURBO View Post
Ferg, since you're in Germany and I'll be there in a few months. I have a question about BMW's. I'm having a issue deciding on Sports Pack or just going with All Seasons. In K-Town are the winters so bad that my Sports Pack and Low pro tires would be deemed useless because of the need for snow tires??
Get the Sports Package, then you can always get cheaper rims & tires for the winter. Wheels, Seats, Lowered suspension, unrestricted rev limiter. All that will run over a grand if you decide you want it later.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
Poland
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Frozen Black F87 M2 LBB

Garage List
This is what I found on Military Sales webpage:

"In the case of State Sales Tax it is impossible to list definitive criteria, as each individual state views both rates and liability differently. As a general rule you should expect to pay some form of tax upon first registration in the USA. However, as a military person you may qualify for exemption or if the vehicle has already been bought and owned out of state (sometimes for a specified time period) this may also fulfil any criteria for exemption. It’s always wise to try to obtain first hand information from the appropriate local office. For an overview of the various State rates click www.taxadmin.org then navigate to the relevant section."

And about import tax:

"Import Tax is charged at 2.5% of the total value stated on the Bill of Sale. As a general rule the criteria for free (non-taxable) importation is that the owner must have been stationed abroad for 140 consecutive days and has taken physical possession of the vehicle while stationed abroad. A copy of official military (PCS) orders must accompany the vehicle being shipped and as some US ports of entry stipulate a minimum mileage requirement in order to avoid Import Tax, it is also recommended that your vehicle be shipped with a minimum of 500 miles at the time of importation. Depending upon whether you are Military, Civilian (GS) or DOD contractor, the rules can vary. If you’re unsure just check with the relevant department or visit the official US Customs Website and navigate to the relevant section. www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/import/infrequent_importer_info/personal_vehicle.xml"

Follow me on Insta: M3Piotr
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Georgia, 9500 miles, $0 import fees payed. I guess every state is different.
      04-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
quicksmile4u
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Convertible Space Gr

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom TURBO View Post
Winter in K-town is not so bad, but according to German law, if you get into an accident in winter and you do not have snow or all season tires, you will be automatically at fault.
I have the sport option and it is great. Good inexpensive wheels and tires will be easy to find, and with the sport option you will not have a speed limiter. Have fun, but be careful
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
PIMP "E"
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
in florida they tax you $60 for every $1000 on the car. so everytime you go to get your tag old car new car they will get you. i always say the car was a gift, that way they cant tax you.