F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Danger, Will Robinson...
proTUNING Freaks

11-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #1
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Danger, Will Robinson...

Ha, so, inspired by the "what will be your next BMW" thread, I made a tentative enquiry about a 2 series that I saw on the approved used listings...

I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed with the "price to change" I was offered.. Aside from the 10/11% finance being offered on used vehicles (how do they sell these when this is significantly more than new vehicles), I also found that the bid on my existing car was leading to a significant -ve equity...

That last bit was a bit of a surprise, to be honest. I know that the previous deep discounting will have had an effect on values, but mine is a decent specification with low miles, and I thought that I had a realistic handle on it's likely trade-in value... I also put a reasonable amount into the current deal, so the settlement isn't silly.. Seems I was wrong as I was offered about 20% less than I thought I might be offered... yikes..!!

I guess trading used for used isn't such a good plan, after all...

I remain, Lost in Space....
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C

Last edited by DaveA; 11-28-2014 at 03:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

While I was getting my winter stuff from local dealer, I had a nose around.

It is surprising prices and deals for used.

A couple of used cars where more expensive than mine was new.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Agreed, when I was buying mine the new price was less than some F31's on the AUC and mine had quite a few more options!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

So mine list was £48k. Got it for £39k. I have had it for 9 months and got it valued out of intrest the other day.

Long and the short it's has about 4k negative equity. The guy I deal with left on Friday (to go to Bently) and he said they would look to make 4k off me if I was to hand it back and settle. But if I was doing a "seriously" trade up like to a fully loaded M4 they could lose approx 3/4 of that of that negative equity.

GBR1
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
james d
DOME
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340

Last two car purchases have been funded(in part) by selling to a long established local non-franchised dealer in Croydon- McCarthy cars- nice people to do business with and just this week obtained £28.5k for my F11 and wife's Gti compared to £27k offer from Bmw dealer. Croydon a long way for you but guessing will be similar type of dealers nationwide.
Just too easy to accept Px offer but worth doing a little phoning around and having cash gives you a certain amount of power in any negotiations.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
So mine list was £48k. Got it for £39k. I have had it for 9 months and got it valued out of intrest the other day.

Long and the short it's has about 4k negative equity. The guy I deal with left on Friday (to go to Bently) and he said they would look to make 4k off me if I was to hand it back and settle. But if I was doing a "seriously" trade up like to a fully loaded M4 they could lose approx 3/4 of that of that negative equity.
Yes, when I asked a different dealer similar questions, but based on a new car (to the same sort of spec as the s/h car I'd originally enquired about), I got an immediate bump on the p/x... and a reduction of about 50% in the APR.. and a cheaper price for new the car (which I was was offered a December build on)...!!!

Price to change was very different between the new and nearly new... I'm missing something, but why would you buy nearly new these days..?

There was a time when pre-registered and demonstrator cars offered a significantly cheaper way to get into a "new" car... Not any more, seemingly...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 03:58 AM   #7
Hprice1099
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Yes, when I asked a different dealer similar questions, but based on a new car (to the same sort of spec as the s/h car I'd originally enquired about), I got an immediate bump on the p/x... and a reduction of about 50% in the APR.. and a cheaper price for new the car (which I was was offered a December build on)...!!!

Price to change was very different between the new and nearly new... I'm missing something, but why would you buy nearly new these days..?

There was a time when pre-registered and demonstrator cars offered a significantly cheaper way to get into a "new" car... Not any more, seemingly...
I would guess that most people don't know of the discounts available on new cars, my bmw's always where around 3/6 months old when I bought them.
Then I joined this forum and hey presto lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:10 AM   #8
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post

I thnk a lot has to do with how BMW provide their own finance and meet low apr targets for new cars.

A lot of people will look at list price and at AUC price and haggle with the AUC getting 2 k off say.
Not realising that a brand new one would come in at the AUC price or very close to it.
But then usually they have a higher APR on used cars, so over 4 years probably works out same or cheaper for new.

Note, that is for average Joe public not us keen and mean forum members.

However, back in 2007 I was looking at just used Mondeo ST for about 16k
Then found out with my Forces dicount I could get a new MK4 with lots of extras for 17k list price around 25k.

So obviously I just paid cash for the 17k new one - which we still own and is on 38k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

When I ordered my F30 in septmber local dealer had a 335i same colour and options as what I wanted. Only thing missing where the plus brakes / HK sound and brakes. Would have worked out a lot more money to buy that then wait for new one. I suppose with the long wait times if you dont want to wait and want a car now they are using it to make a few quid more
      11-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I saw my old 435i for sale at the dealers I sold it back to, it was only £30 a month less than buying it new
Appreciate 0