BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos The Camaro's back!

01-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

The Camaro's back!

Actually, I'm a little appalled by what they've done to it. As you can see from the pic, it looks almost identical to the new Mustang, with its 1960s cues.

Why do the American companies think they need to conjure up old memories to make a sale? What is with this "redesign the past" crap? I mean, it doesn't look all that bad...but it does look way to predictable, and certainly not "cutting edge"--of course, by GM standards, it might be

Anyway, I've always loved Camaros, and nothing can ever take away the heritage of the original American Detroit muscle, but I think nowadays the majority of people are looking for muscle, but also something else--like good fuel economy, comfortable ride, good handling, safety, among other things.

But when I see this, or when the new mustang came out, all I could see was the obnoxious hype, and the marketing schemes designed to instill memories. Maybe that's what these American companies think will save them, but I think it's the wrong move.

I would have seriously considered something like this, if it was an improvement. But I see a step backwards and I don't like it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060109/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

sorry...I dont like American cars, only American women and American money.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183
Actually, I'm a little appalled by what they've done to it. As you can see from the pic, it looks almost identical to the new Mustang, with its 1960s cues.
agree 100%!
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90
sorry...I dont like American cars, only American women and American money.

Ha ha ha Neither do I...but I just thought it was exciting to see what it would look like, especially since, what, a year ago GM was telling us the Camaro is finished for good.

Seriously, though, I would have taken a new (00-02) Camaro SS conv. But now since I have my bimmer, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world...well maybe for a Maserati or Ferarri or something
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Enroutte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ;D

eww its ugly.. whats with the BRING BACK THE OLD look design? i dont like it.

i dont like mustangs or camaros eww
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

ugly.
      01-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

I have never owned an American automobile and never intend too.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #8
Dawg Nuts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 E90

Garage List
2007 E90 335  [0.00]
2004 X5  [0.00]
American cars suck!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #9
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
The big three--Ford, GM and Chrysler motors--are trying to once again find a unique niche for themselves to reclaim lost sales due to market saturation, particularly in light of the successes of Toyota and other foreign competitors. The American car makers don't seem to be doing a good job competing with the Japanese (or others) by emulation. Examples of such failed attempts are the Ford Five Hundred (to compete against Camry), Freestyle, Taurus, etc. What does seem to be selling are distinctive designs that are classically American like the Hemi 300C, the new Mustang, PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR, etc. This is an area that has never been successfully emulated in large scale by non-American companies. No one else wants to build big, in-yo-face-styled, potentially gas guzzling muscle cars. America is striving to boost its lost sales by experimenting with its roots.
      01-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

they better watch out before geely takes over.

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

It's funny how you guys bash the cars made in your country that support your economy. Go to the midwest and very very few people have BMW's, Benzes, and other high end luxury euro/japense makes. There is a great sense of pride in being American held by those individuals, and part of how they express that is by driving American cars. In all truth and honesty, though we have indeed produced crap cars in the past, that is no longer the case. More care is being taken to engineer and build cars of the highest standard. Take for instance, the new Ford M ustang, I HATE the car, but upon a recent ride in a loaner car driven by a freind while his car was in the shop, I was actually impressed. The car had a fairly decent interior(a little overwhelmed in plastic) w/ a good seating position, both driver and passenger. For once I found myself in proportion w/ a car seat other than my own, this is a car made for your average height + American male. All is not lost w/ American cars, we're on a road of recovery, things will only get better. Of course in the end, this matter is entirely subjective, just my $.02 cents.

Whatever the case, I think the car is damm cool, and if it does get the green light, should be an absolute blast to drive. Might even make into my drive way if.. might...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
E90-4life
auto pilot
Rep
Drives: E60 M5 chilln on slicks

To add, this cars engineering was primarily developed by Aussies, GM's Holden division which current produces the GTO(a.k.a. the Monaro under the Holden brand name for all my Aussie friends). The new Camaro as well as the next GTO will be based on the onced scrapped now rehashed all new "Zeta" large car RWD platform. However when this car is produced it will be manufactured somewhere within our borders or just outside of them(Canada).
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #13
modeno
serve extra cold
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [9.08]
ahh. reminiscent of my reaction to the new mustang design...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 07:31 AM   #14
Spiffy_and_Pink
United_States
Rep

i don't like it. =(
      06-19-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

i think it is pretty cool
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #16
TYW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: - 335i Coupe - Monaco / Saddle

I saw the new Camaro at the N.Y. Auto Show. Exterior looks great, but lets hope they change the interior by production, I almost puked!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

For sure, that's a concept interior!!

I love the exterior tho!

And I agree with E90-4life's comments about American cars and all that, even if I am a lousy Canuck!

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 03:18 PM   #18
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

I hate it when people bash American cars, epecially when you all support the american ecconomy. American cars have been given such a bad name that they are rarely given a bad name. Alot of people say that they have cheap interiors or have engine problems. But in the past few years they have improved drastically but no one still gives them credit for it. The interior of the new camaro shows the improvement that GM has been force to migrate towards plus some, and even still they are not given the prase they deserve. Ford sale phemonenal number of the new Mustang, and it has minor issues with its reliablilty but yet people find negative things to say about it. But yet cars like Audi and Mercedes-Benz are prasied for their too-costly, and not needed electonics, and yet their cars stay in the shop half the time and cost the most to repair. Alot of the things that companies such as Cadillac offer, Mercedes-Benz and BMW make you pay for. For instance, an automatic trunk closer is offered in the S-Class as a cost feature (not included) but even Cadillac DeVilles dating back to 1979 had this option as an automatic feature. I understand that many feel that cars such as the new camaro will not be successful or are too ugly, but out of all honesty, would alot of you all get a 335i if it wasnt by BMW. If you were just looking at the design of the car (exterior-wise) and then looking at the price,I doubt that the 335i would sell the same.
The new camaro is going to be an awsome car: 400lb, 400lb torque, 28mpg hw, retro style interior even including retro styled seatbelts, angel eyed halo xenonheadlights, 20" rims leather/seude seats with colored stitching and 0-60 well under 6 seconds for $30,000, what is there not to like about it? Oh yeah I know.....Its american! LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #19
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
To start off, I have very strong feelings about this topic, so this might take a while. To start off, e90 4 life and Younghov85...the people that are driving "american cars"...we'll just reference that to domestics, must be mis-informed if they think that all of their domestic cars are american made. Most of them come from either Mexico or Canada. Those that are built here in the US have a great deal of parts made in mexico...the trans., etc. I live in Chicago, and I can see that there are more imports than domestics here...if not about equal, as well as in major suburbs.

How can you say that we are helping the american economy by buying domestic when a lot of their cars and made in plants out of the US? So who is really getting that money? Not the american people, but coorporate. Where is that money going...to build plants in China, Europe, Mexico and Canada. So if you think that buying domestic is helping the american economy, you are being misled. The real american cars are those "foreign cars." Almost all of them have multiple plants in the U.S. Who do you think builds, maintains, works in, pays taxes on, gets materials from in those plants. What about transporting those cars to the thousands of dealers around the country....the drivers, sales men, ad agencies...also employers of amerian people All that money goes into the american economy. That is truely buying american and supporting our country. Toyota is building 5 more plants in the US and has tens of thousands of employees working in the US...with hyundai and honda following behind. They are the real heros.

The big 3 are on their way to being mere shadows in the distance. Why? Did you see the pontiac aztec, who approved that? What kind of vision do they have to build cars that people do not want? That is why there are $6,000 discounts to help move cars sitting on lots. Look at the paper..."86 new chevy monte carlo's, 120 new impala's, 50 cobalt's, etc. all waiting for you, come on by!" That is why resale on those cars suck! My cousin bought a new monte carlo, put on 15k miles and after one year traded it in. They wanted to give him $8k for it. After massive discounts he paid about 22k for it. Sticker was like $26k. Look at the GTO and the neon SRT 4...fast cars, but look at them. Who the hell wants one...they look like shit. The GTO looks like an upgraded grand prix. And the neon? I think that there are 2" door and bumper gaps. Am I wrong? What about the handling, IT SUCKS! Come on, a front wheel drive impala SS with over 300hp? I can park a moped in between the gap of the tire and fender. While the big 3 were averaging 4.5-5 years between a complete model change the japanese were at about 3 years. In the end, I do not feel sorry for them if they all go bankrupt. Poor management and the feeling that the american people will buy any crap that we pour out just because we are ford, etc. is why they have failed and have lost half of their market share.

BUY AMERICAN---BUY FOREIGN CARS!
F.Y.I. I was always raised and taught to buy domestic and my family has always been until recently. I have uncles that have been mechanics for GM for over 20+ years and recently bought Toyota. Since I have been a kid, I have had posters and model cars of nothing but corvette's, camaro's, trans am's, etc. I have seen and rode in them all, but nothing comes even close to a foreign car. That is why you drive a 325 right? You didn't buy an american car, but you were not looking for just power, otherwise you'd get a SRT 4 that'll blow the doors off my 330 for just over $20k. Could that be why you said that you might buy the new camaro? But hey, 400hp under 30k....you should be saying I cannot wait for it to come out, and when it does I WILL trade in the 325 for it. The fact is that you didn't, because a Chevy does not excite you about driving, and I doubt that i will be alive when that time does come! There has to be something more right? Buying a 335i just because of it being a BMW? Yes, because BMW means something...total driving experience.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 01:16 AM   #20
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghov85
I hate it when people bash American cars, epecially when you all support the american ecconomy. American cars have been given such a bad name that they are rarely given a bad name. Alot of people say that they have cheap interiors or have engine problems. But in the past few years they have improved drastically but no one still gives them credit for it.
American Economy lawl. Like someone mentioned, it's called outsourcing. Improved drastically? More like marginally. The interior is still cheap, but I thought American engines were pretty reliable?

Quote:
The interior of the new camaro shows the improvement that GM has been force to migrate towards plus some, and even still they are not given the prase they deserve. Ford sale phemonenal number of the new Mustang, and it has minor issues with its reliablilty but yet people find negative things to say about it. But yet cars like Audi and Mercedes-Benz are prasied for their too-costly, and not needed electonics, and yet their cars stay in the shop half the time and cost the most to repair.
That's a concept interior, I'll reserve my judgement until I see the production version. As for the Mustang...of course it's going to sell well in America...how are the sales worldwide? And you're generalizing about German cars always in the shop due to electrical issues...the majority of the cars are fine.

Quote:
Alot of the things that companies such as Cadillac offer, Mercedes-Benz and BMW make you pay for. For instance, an automatic trunk closer is offered in the S-Class as a cost feature (not included) but even Cadillac DeVilles dating back to 1979 had this option as an automatic feature. I understand that many feel that cars such as the new camaro will not be successful or are too ugly, but out of all honesty, would alot of you all get a 335i if it wasnt by BMW. If you were just looking at the design of the car (exterior-wise) and then looking at the price,I doubt that the 335i would sell the same.
Yeah, because Cadillac just cuts corners elsewhere.

I find it funny whenever people say "if this car wasn't made by this company"; the car wouldn't exist anyway because it would lack the design cues of that particular company, making that point moot.

Quote:
The new camaro is going to be an awsome car: 400lb, 400lb torque, 28mpg hw, retro style interior even including retro styled seatbelts, angel eyed halo xenonheadlights, 20" rims leather/seude seats with colored stitching and 0-60 well under 6 seconds for $30,000, what is there not to like about it? Oh yeah I know.....Its american! LOL
Once again, I haven't seen the production version yet. If novelty cues are your thing, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2006, 04:46 AM   #21
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW
I saw the new Camaro at the N.Y. Auto Show. Exterior looks great, but lets hope they change the interior by production, I almost puked!
      06-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #22
BMW0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It's (Camaro) an improvement, and I would like to add an "E" for effort.

I did have the misfortune of owning a Mustang in the past and it just led to unsatisfactory feelings (Handling, Performance & Apearance) toward Ford, but now I bet those problems are taken care of with the newly designed Mustang. Hopefully...

"Freude am Fahren" = "Joy to Drive"
Appreciate 0