E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Mobridge, anybody try it?

01-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #1
collin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sport+Premium Nav

Mobridge, anybody try it?

I found this mentioned on some Porsche forums:

Mobridge
The mObridge iPod Kit seamlessly integrates the iPod with the head-unit of your MOST-equipped vehicle.

Under BMW compatibility, it lists: "2005-current 3 Series"

Pictures from Porsche users show it emulating a CD changer with different discs standing in for genre, artist, etc.

Anybody compare this to the Denison Gateway 500?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
doc325
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post
I found this mentioned on some Porsche forums:

Mobridge
The mObridge iPod Kit seamlessly integrates the iPod with the head-unit of your MOST-equipped vehicle.

Under BMW compatibility, it lists: "2005-current 3 Series"

Pictures from Porsche users show it emulating a CD changer with different discs standing in for genre, artist, etc.

Anybody compare this to the Denison Gateway 500?
Yeah I've actually got an early release version in my car and while it still has a couple of minor bugs, and this is more to do with the factory CDC and work arounds for it, it is shaping up to be pretty good. I've also got an early release of another goody they are working on

I have also tried the Dension unit and the Mobridge has more capability and works somewhat smoother, but has a similiar layout.

The Mobridge layout is different to the Porsche system and the factory BMW setup where the PLaylists/Artists/Albums etc etc are listed under discs.

The Mobridge lists playlists, artists, albums, genre, composer, audiobook, podcasts etc etc (did I miss any category?) , Aux/menu under a single disc as folders. In fact it emulates the iPod pretty much and is very quick and does multiple directories I.e Artists->Albums->Songs

Scott at Mobridge tells me it will be released in about two weeks while the final bugs are well sorted. Its gotten some good reviews on the Porsche forums though.

These guys were at SEMA and in fact theres an online video of the BMW system in action.

http://www.12volt.com/index.php?opti...temid=88889047

So yes, I am happily enjoying me pre-release version!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
akhter
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 911 992 C2S

Garage List
It has subfolders? that would allow it to get around the 256 time per folder limit. I'd be interested in getting one....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
doc325
Rep

Yep indeed!

When you add up 256 artists and 256 album under these artists, or even 256 playlists with 256 songs....well its kinda hard to listen to the same song twice for a long long time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
collin
Private
Rep

good info. do you know the intended approx pricing for this unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
doc325
Rep

Yeah its around the same price as the Dension at $599. I was an early adopter of the beta units while they sorted out BMW software so got it slightly cheaper. The Rennlist forum has a 10% discount for members I think from what I've seen over there and I think theres a group buy trying to get organised also.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
collin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc325 View Post
Yeah its around the same price as the Dension at $599. I was an early adopter of the beta units while they sorted out BMW software so got it slightly cheaper. The Rennlist forum has a 10% discount for members I think from what I've seen over there and I think theres a group buy trying to get organised also.
looks like the rennlist is a porsche forum. would the group buy unit work on a bmw?

can you compare the dension and mobridge features? looks like they can both connect to ipod. what about the other functions of the dension like usb, video, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
strangely
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin View Post
looks like the rennlist is a porsche forum. would the group buy unit work on a bmw?

can you compare the dension and mobridge features? looks like they can both connect to ipod. what about the other functions of the dension like usb, video, etc.?
According to the mobridge site it lists USB and SD card also.
I would really be interested in this apart from the fact that i will still have the problem of getting the car coded with a BMW CDC making the price too much.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
strangely
Rep

The Dension Gateway 500's are now also below $500 so its a little more expensive!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
doc325
Rep

Yeah its a little more expensive and it doesn't support USB just yet either. It is a little better to use though in its navigation and more stable.

Theres not a great deal of difference between the two. The main one is the Mobridge lack of USB. The Dension seemed to have subfolder support but only supported 99 songs in a folder. The Dension does have the video out plugin but this is useless with the new iPod's, and this video would only be good for a rear screen. The Mobridge seems to have better audio though.

Oh and even if you did buy one from Rennlist, its configurable across all vehicles as is the Dension.

The CDC issue is going to be a pain for everyone I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
g8h3VZ6jFvYc63p7q88s
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: :(

I read this thread and visited the mObridge website. Can someone clarify:

Can I keep the factory CD Changer and Single in-Dash disc functionalities with this kit? (or if I loose one, which one is it?)
      01-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
doc325
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim View Post
I read this thread and visited the mObridge website. Can someone clarify:

Can I keep the factory CD Changer and Single in-Dash disc functionalities with this kit? (or if I loose one, which one is it?)
You can leave the CDC in the ring but you can't control both the CDC and iPod at the same time. There is a bypass switch though that can be flicked to go back to the CDC easy enough.

The single in-dash CD player works as normal though.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #13
X5FX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

why wouldnt they use the same AUX section the 6FL uses instead of the CD Changer?
      01-14-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
doc325
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
why wouldnt they use the same AUX section the 6FL uses instead of the CD Changer?
Is the 6FL on MOST? I thought this was a factory ordered item that couldn't be retrofitted and was part of the idrive system.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 08:09 AM   #15
WilyB
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I had the mObridge Audio iPod and Auxiliary Interface I received 6 weeks ago installed in my wife’s Cayenne yesterday. The delay was due to my constant overseas travels.

Here are my comments on the system:

Pluses:
  • Great sound quality
  • Instantaneous menus
  • Stealthy installation
  • iPod in the glove box
  • All control and commands through original Porsche PCM and steering wheel.
  • Bluetooth upgrade is coming soon – March 2008 - for cell phone integration.
  • Installer charged me 2 hours, which is pretty decent, given that I got the system directly from mObridge. Installer said the install was pretty straightforward thanks to the detailed documentation mObridge emailed me.

Minuses:
  • Going through PCM makes the control and command not as intuitive as one would like. I guess I have to practice a bit more.

Conclusions: A great product at an affordable price. I hope the BT upgrade arrives soon!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0