E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Problem With Removing Valve Cover

12-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
KalebZ
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 325i Jet Black

Problem With Removing Valve Cover

I've had a leak on my 2006 325i for a while and recently learned that it was coming from the valve cover. I had a few free hours today so I figured I'd go ahead and knock it out but I ran into a problem
I've watched all the videos i can find and have read all the threads i can find and can not find anything on the problem I'm having

Everything is disconnected and the valve cover is loose but it will not come out. It is hitting a metal line that runs from the passenger side of the motor across the top of the firewall to the drivers side of the engine bay. No matter how I twist or wiggle the valve cover, the back left(passenger side) of the valve cover gets caught on the line and will not come out (been working at it all day)

Needless to say I'm a bit frustrated but figured this would be a good place to turn.

(also one of the valve cover bolts was broken off, can I just use a screw removal tool to get it out?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Vc Removal Is A Pain

Not sure the line you are referring to but I remember lifting up the VC a 1/4 inch and then sliding if fwd then up and out. Yes a simple extractor tool will do the trick. Make sure you have a torque wrench and follow a strict pattern when tightening the VC bolts. I also recommend that you get some HONDABOND Sealant for the half-moon and corner locations of the VC when replacing. Also, make sure that the VC & engine is cleaned properly on reinstall. HAVE FUN!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #3
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

The only thing that I can think of that resembles your description is the strut brace or bar.

You will need an E12 and an E16 socket. Don't quote me on those they might be a bit larger sizes. Use a flat head screw driver to open the cap beneath the center of the windshield. the other screw is to the other end of the bar
      12-07-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
KalebZ
Registered
Rep

Its not the strut brace thats off as well as everything else that could be blocking it. I'll try to post a picture of it later on today after i go at it a little bit more. I replaced a valve cover on my old e3^ without any issues but this one has proven to be quite difficult.. probably just circumstantial though. I have high hopes today
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalebZ View Post
Its not the strut brace thats off as well as everything else that could be blocking it. I'll try to post a picture of it later on today after i go at it a little bit more. I replaced a valve cover on my old e3^ without any issues but this one has proven to be quite difficult.. probably just circumstantial though. I have high hopes today
In for pics!
      12-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
KalebZ
Registered
Rep

I figured it out, My motor was sagging due to worn motor mounts so I lifted it and the valve cover came right off. looks like the mounts are next. Thanks for all the help guys!
Appreciate 0