E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Not another 335i vs G37S thread!!!!!

01-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Not another 335i vs G37S thread!!!!!

Unfortunately, yes. I tested out both cars today and wrote a little comparison article for you guys to check out. I know that the G is very unpopular here so I expect some vigorous disagreements with my results but here goes!

BMW 335i vs. Infiniti G37S
By-Eric Ellis

To preface this article, let me state that I was only able to test the automatic versions of each car (which sucks because I want a 6MT) and my "test" of each was limited to about a typical 15 minute drive around the dealerships. I did some full throttle accelerating and got each car up to about 90mph. There were some on-ramps that provided a kind of "poor man's skidpad" but the drives in both cars were fairly sedate. These were my impressions of each.

Exterior design:
335i - 5/5
G37S - 4/5

Even though I just love the G37's exterior design, I must give credit where its due and the 335i is just gorgeous. The front is iconic with the dual kidneys and the "four eyes" headlights. I also love the short overhangs of the 3-series. The G37 is also very good looking (especially IRL) but it seems a little more "boy-racer" and immature compared to the elegance of the Bimmer. The biggest faux-pas IMO is the ridiculous chrome obelisk on the trunk. Truly hideous!

Interior design:
G37S - 10/10
335i - 6/10

On the inside there is no comparison really. The fit and finish, quality, materials, everything was just nicer and better made in the G. The dash material is soft to the touch, the leather is supple and smooth (with beautifully stitched seats), the nav screen and center console are much more modern looking and intuitive, and the lighted kickplates look very trick. The 335i interior is just terrible IMHO. It is dark and drab and very spartan looking. There is no warmth and some of the ergonomics are just plain bad (the power window switches come quickly to mind). Material quality is good, but the design is not. On the plus side, however, the Bimmer has much more room than the G which is odd considering the exterior dimensions of both cars.

Engine:
335i - 10/10
G37S - 9/10

This one was actually tough for me. Obviously the 335 has the awesome N54 which is just about the best turbo-engine ever made IMO. Loads of torque well down in the rev range and good power up top make this a very flexible motor. There is also that legendary Inline-6 smoothness that can't be ignored. On the other hand, Nissan's VQ is really quite good as well. There was plenty of torque down low I thought and it revved all the way to an indicated 8k rpm!!! On the road there is ample power everywhere and it is also pretty smooth, though not as smooth as the 335i. I gave the advantage to the BMW here because of the incredible low end grunt and the ease of performance mods down the road.

Handling and feel:
G37 - 5/5
335i - 4/5

To me the G was excellent in its handling characteristics. Bear in mind that I was allowed only a short test drive in both cars so my initial impressions may be a little skewed. Anyway, the steering is nicely weighted and the active steering was very natural to me. Feel was excellent as was the suspension setup. The G corners very flat and feels composed (if a little stiff) over rough pavement. I also liked the 335i's handling and steering very much but felt that it was a bit softer and not quite as aggressive. The steering felt mildly numb to me (so much for that "vaunted" BMW steering feel) in comparison to the G and was a little lighter. Basically both cars are very good here.

Exhaust note:
G37S - 5/5
335i - 5/5

This isn't really a usual category to test but I just love the exhaust sound of both of these cars so much I had to make it one. The G is throatier and more metallic while the 335i is a bit raspier and more high strung. Its a push here as both cars sound incredible (though you get more of that good sound in the cabin of the G than in the Bimmer which may or may not be your cup of tea).

Dimensions:
335i - 5/5
G37S - 2/5

Basically, there is little room in the G for anyone but the driver. The back seats were alarmingly cramped and the trunk is probably the smallest I have ever seen! At least it does have a fully folding rear seat. The 335i has ample space front and back and has a good size trunk so the winner here is obvious.

Features:
G37S - 10/10
335i - 7/10

Here is one area that was particularly important to me. The G has some very nifty features that put it well above the Bimmer IMO. Firstly, the nav/computer is 100% better than iDrive in every way. There are 3, yes 3, input options in the infiniti (rotary knob like the BMW, touch screen, and individual buttons for most functions). This makes navigating the menus a snap. iDrive, while not as bad as some magazines make it out to be, is still very unintuitive and slow comparitively. Another feature I loved about the G was the passenger seat button on the inside edge of the seat. This makes it very easy for the driver (or rear passenger) to move the passenger seat forward/backward. Every coupe with power seats should have this feature IMO. The Infiniti also has the backup camera with a nice little overlay that measures how far something is from the back and either side. THe BMW's PDC works well too, but I would like a camera as well. I also managed to pair my LG phone via bluetooth to the G in less than 30 seconds whereas it was a complete pain in the BMW.

Value:
G37S - 10/10
335i - 7/10

Obviously the G is far less expensive than the 335i and comes with features standard that are options in the BImmer (such as comfort access). In fact, I would rank the G37S as THE best value in the sporty luxury coupe segment. Period. The BMW is a very good car, and probably worth a premium over the Infiniti in snob-factor alone. But it is not $7-10k better IMO.

G37S with nav, premium package, lighted kickplates - $41,985 MSRP
335i with nav, premium package, heated seats, comfort access, sport package, iPod and satellite radio (standard in the G37S) - $49,320 MSRP

Total:

1st - Infiniti G37S - 55/60 - 92%
2nd - BMW 335i - 49/60 - 82%

Flame away!!!!

*****EDIT***** I just went through and weighted everything differently according to my own personal preferences. The results were the same with the G picking up a couple of percentage points. I guess the G37S really is the right car for me (as the 335i is surely the right car for alot of you)....

Last edited by majin ssj eric; 01-10-2008 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Personal preference......don't let the people in here influence your purchase.

Numbers don't lie.....and everything else is subjective.
      01-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
i dont see a need for a review comparing both cars. Most of the popular magazines have done so already in detail with the 335 being the "winner" as to the top pick.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

nice review man! i'd pick the g37 just for the exhaust note.

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
i dont see a need for a review comparing both cars. Most of the popular magazines have done so already in detail with the 335 being the "winner" as to the top pick.
Oh, there's no need as this topic has been covered ad-nauseum. I just felt like doing it for fun!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Yes G37 is da bomb... we are a charity organization saving underprivileged bimmers.

One thing that most Car&Driver Editor wannabes often don't do is evaluate these cars 3-4 years and 40K miles later head to head. Every 3 year old G I have ever been in feel and drives like a pile of crap. Sure it's easy to build something that looks good on paper and stands out when it's brand new.
      01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #7
MTV
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, Volvo S60R

Awesome review. Very insightful, really compares the cars in and out.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Yes G37 is da bomb... we are a charity organization saving underprivileged bimmers.

One thing that most Car&Driver Editor wannabes often don't do is evaluate these cars 3-4 years and 40K miles later head to head. Every 3 year old G I have ever been in feel and drives like a pile of crap. Sure it's easy to build something that looks good on paper and stands out when it's brand new.
Well thats easy to explain. Every 3 year old G you ever sat in was a far inferior car to the new G37!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
Oh, there's no need as this topic has been covered ad-nauseum. I just felt like doing it for fun!
ah ok then. well i'm sure whichever car you end up getting, you'll love it b/c it's your car. I myself had been waiting for the g37 to come out last aug when i was in the market for a new car last summer. In my opinion i still like look of the g35 over the g37.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

infinitis are for jo's that can't afford a bmw. they r ok just not a bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
wesley_willis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

good review i'm just partial to BMW looks and driving feel!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #12
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 335i / 1994 Miata R

I can see your opinion on most parts. Although the interior is where I would have to disagree. I like the less is best attitude of the 335i inside. Its sleak and easy on the eyes. I have been in a new G35x (very similar the G37) and its a little distracting with the blue lights everywhere. Not to mention the heated or cooled compartment in the 335i
      01-10-2008, 11:05 PM   #13
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Total:

1st - Infiniti G37S - 35.5/40 - 89%
2nd - BMW 335i - 32.5/40 - 81%
I'm not questioning the results, but I will mention that you might want to go through each category and ask yourself, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how important is this category to me?" Then multiply your rating by that number, and THEN add them all up for the total. This will give you a more meaningful total IMO.

Otherwise, you're saying, for example, that "dimensions" is just as important to you as "engine." Maybe it is, but probably it isn't.
      01-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #14
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I disagree on the interior comment. Personally (and note this is subjective), I find the interior on the G only good looking in magazines or on screenshots.

I had to see it for myself, so I took a friend with me and we went down to the local Benz/Infiniti dealer (odd combo I know). Much to my dismay, the G's interior was a huge letdown to both me and my friend.

Design-wise, it's perfectly fine: contoured lines, contrasting materials, interesting guages, etc. However, when you sit in it, feel it, scrutinize it, it just falls short of expectations. There are bits here and pieces there that are unecessary, and little novelties failed to impress in the longrun. For instance, the washi paper, although innovative, is no better than the brushed aluminum offered in the 3, which many here consider cheap. The violet "mood lighting" is tacky and cheap in execution. Think of magazine/newspaper pigmentation (you know how you can see it getting dotty as the colors get lighter) and apply that to the violet lighting on the background for the guages. It's just a decal with minor lighting. The steering wheel felt cheap (but was fun to drive with), and there are many places inside where you can spot shortcuts. Places that look unfinished, if you will. Don't get me started on rear "usability".

On the plus side, the buttons felt good to the touch, and served a use in operating the (fantastic) multi-media system. The seats offered adjustable side and bottom bolsters, which I found nifty. The leather was also quite nice; par with the Bimmer's.

Overall I found it nice in its own way, but falling short of the Bimmer's tried and true spartan yet functional interior. I don't like to drive in a cockpit littered with buttons and gadgets...I'll learn how to fly a jet if that's what I want.

By the way, great review OP, thanks for typing that up. Minor differences in some points aside, I found it interesting to see it from another's perspective.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:14 PM   #15
pittyinSC
Drives Smart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1968 Austin Mini Cooper 1380cc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Think about it:......would I pay over 40K for something made it Japan...or pay for something made in Germany under 50K....and no its not snobby factor here its just the general rule of thumb.

The exhaust note on the G sounds amazing from the outside, but on the inside it resonates the whole inside,
and is very annoying for rear passengers

08 BMW ///M5 Space Gray/Black 6 speed
Engine: RPi GTS exhaust, RPi Scoops, Carbon Filter Delete
Exterior: Glossy Black Kidneys, LUX V3, OEM LED License Plate light, Bruce License Plate Adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #16
Mace
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 M3

Nice assessment but you forgot a nice BMW "option" that Infiniti doesn't have:

335i: ED
G37: Exciting trip to your local Infiniti dealer

With the pricing available for an ED you can pay $45k for 335i Coupe with an MSRP of $51k. Going beyond purchase price, with ED you can subtract many of the fees Infiniti guys will have to pay plus there's the $500 rebate from BMWCCA. The numbers come out something like this:

335i (ED): $45,425 (with aquisition fee)
G37: about $43 - $44,000 (adding in MACO, training, aquisition, doc, etc.)

So, given the right circumstances you can get the BMW for only $1,500 to $2,500 more.

Nothing wrong with the G37 and it's a good value (I'm driving a G35 until my May ED(quick note, I think the new G interior actually looks cheaper in person than I thought it would)) Yeah, I know it's not a "fair" comparison since you'd be spending at least a grand or two or three on the trip but ya gotta look at the big picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:34 PM   #17
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcool911ok View Post
Think about it:......would I pay over 40K for something made it Japan...or pay for something made in Germany under 50K....and no its not snobby factor here its just the general rule of thumb.

The exhaust note on the G sounds amazing from the outside, but on the inside it resonates the whole inside,
Amazingly enough, buying a Japanese car for over $40k isn't all that surprising these days. The Koreans are the new Japanese, and the Chinese are the new Koreans. Were gonna need some Vietnamese or sumthin in teh future to keep the cycle going lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #18
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umcool911ok View Post

I don't really get the "made in Japan/made in Germany" argument honestly. They're both fantastic cars regardless of their origin. The differences work out to this:

Japan=Great reliability and well thought out design.
Germany=Great engineering and material quality.

Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura build just as good of cars as Mercedes, BMW, and Audi......they just do it in different ways.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #19
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Damn right G37 is the best bang for the bucks... but yo, if they put the word TT there i would have jumped on it...

i just cant pass up on titties
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
calsynergy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92

I would have bought the G37 because it drives great and is attractively priced, but the reason why I didn't get one was because I know that the market will be saturated with G37s, just like the G35 is. And I can't stand seeing someone with the same car everywhere! I know... I know... there are tons of 3 series coupe out there, but I don't feel that there are as many 3 series coupes as there are G35 coupes.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #21
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Quote:
I don't really get the "made in Japan/made in Germany" argument honestly. They're both fantastic cars regardless of their origin. The differences work out to this:

Japan=Great reliability and well thought out design.
Germany=Great engineering and material quality.

Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura build just as good of cars as Mercedes, BMW, and Audi......they just do it in different ways.
Have you ever owned a German car? Then you would "get it". They just are put together better and feel a lot newer over the years as they age vs. other cars. I disagreed with a couple items, especially the "numb" steering. I consider my car to have razor sharp steering and has very good on center feel. Also, you hailed the G interior over the 3. I've seen both, and must beg to differ. I agree with most of the other stuff, but would have ranked the new engine higher than the G. It is just ridiculously good. As another noted, the ED program brings the pricing a lot closer. My car was 6k dollars less than US sticker. Good detailed review!
      01-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #22
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calsynergy View Post
I would have bought the G37 because it drives great and is attractively priced, but the reason why I didn't get one was because I know that the market will be saturated with G37s, just like the G35 is. And I can't stand seeing someone with the same car everywhere! I know... I know... there are tons of 3 series coupe out there, but I don't feel that there are as many 3 series coupes as there are G35 coupes.
Thats a very good point and one that I've considered but honestly I have seen far more E92's on the road than G37's, at least in my area......
Appreciate 0