GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-09-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Question Install painted key hole cover without dropping the bolt into the door?

I attempted to install the painted key hole cover today, but, while unscrewing the bolt, I realized there was no way I was going to get it out without dropping it into the depths of the door. How is everyone doing this installation without dropping the bolt?!

I also noticed there was a hole at the bottom of the door, which could be opened to possibly retrieve stuff at the bottom. Would the bolt drop here?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

The answer is: The bolt does not fall out, it actually just stays there (there is something that holds the bolt in place).

However, I did have a bigger problem. The original lock cylinder did not fit onto the IND plastic clips on the new key hole delete cover. The fitment was bad. I could easily put the lock cylinder back into the original key cover, but it would not fit on the IND one. I ended up just installing the IND one without the lock cylinder and praying that my battery never dies with the doors locked.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
djhex36
Mr. Fluffy
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW/BLK M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty
The answer is: The bolt does not fall out, it actually just stays there (there is something that holds the bolt in place).

However, I did have a bigger problem. The original lock cylinder did not fit onto the IND plastic clips on the new key hole delete cover. The fitment was bad. I could easily put the lock cylinder back into the original key cover, but it would not fit on the IND one. I ended up just installing the IND one without the lock cylinder and praying that my battery never dies with the doors locked.
Have you spoken to IND about this? I think someone else had this issue and they had to mod the cover to get the cylinder to fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

I had no issues with mine, either with dropping anything into the door, or with the lock cylinder fitting into the new keyhole cover. This is not to say that others will/won't have issues, just that I had no issues.
      12-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhex36 View Post
Have you spoken to IND about this? I think someone else had this issue and they had to mod the cover to get the cylinder to fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post

The key hole cover is designed as a complete replacement, however, it is possible to fit the cover over the original lock cylinder. The fit over the existing lock cylinder is extremely tight so it might take a little more force to get those tabs in place. Another alternative is to take a hobby knife and shave the inside of the tab down a touch.

Let us know if you guys have any further questions.
      04-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
2HIGH~PSI
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra TT 6MT, '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
The key hole cover is designed as a complete replacement, however, it is possible to fit the cover over the original lock cylinder. The fit over the existing lock cylinder is extremely tight so it might take a little more force to get those tabs in place. Another alternative is to take a hobby knife and shave the inside of the tab down a touch.

Let us know if you guys have any further questions.
This is what I had to do, I could not get one of the tabs down far enough.

Its likely best to ensure the top tab (when installed) is clipped properly, with the bottom one being out a little. I then shaved the bottom tab down with an exacto knife so it was flush with the cylinder.

Then I reinstalled in the car and could tell it wasnt sitting as square.I pushed the cover after installation and it clicked in place. Its a perfect fit now.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

It requires significantly more force and getting the right angle of the pressure. I've placed the locking mechanism inside at least three of these. Easier every time. Lay a microfiber towel on a table and press down very hard. It'll fit.
      04-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longbow64 View Post
It requires significantly more force and getting the right angle of the pressure. I've placed the locking mechanism inside at least three of these. Easier every time. Lay a microfiber towel on a table and press down very hard. It'll fit.
Unfortunately, it won't. The particular keyhole cover that I received was built very poorly. To make it fit, I would definitely have to use a hobby knife and trim it a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
bwu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Fitment was bad and i tried trimming with a knife with no success. I ended up putting the original back
Appreciate 0