THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Anyone have the BMW M Performance Suspension?

12-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Canaletto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Anyone have the BMW M Performance Suspension?

The 2 series has been out for a while, but I can't seem to find any impressions from folks with the M Performance Suspension. Does anyone actually have it?

And, just to be clear, I mean the suspension available from BMW's performance parts catalog:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/44...NCE-SUSPENSION

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Interested to know as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #3
ir_fuel
Rep
Drives: M235i

Same here. Seems nobody buys this
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Thompson_Performance
Rep
Drives: M4

The M235i cannot receive this accessory as all US Spec M235i vehicles are equipped with SA2VF adaptive suspension. This retrofit is only applicable to the 228i without 2VF.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
ScrappyDoo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone on M performance suspension able to provide some feedback? The M sports on my car is literally giving me a headache. Hitting a road depression at 200+kmh will cause the car to bounce up and down like making love on a waterbed. Looking for something more stable.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Scrappy D - H&R sport springs are working fine on adaptive damped M135i. Looseness at the rear is gone and re-settle after a high speed bump or trough is much better. If money no object then coilovers KW/Bilstein etc etc. BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post
will cause the car to bounce up and down like making love on a waterbed.

Do you really feel that ScrappyDoo ? I have felt the same as you but only if I'm using "comfort" mode, but in Sport and Sport+ I feel stiff bounce (short hard bouncing).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
ScrappyDoo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Looks like not many went for the M performance suspension. Think I'll go for the KW V2 then.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

bump... been looking into the m performance suspension. Anyone have any sort of feedback on it? Read through the f30 forums and feedback seems to be mostly positive.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #10
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson_Performance View Post
The M235i cannot receive this accessory as all US Spec M235i vehicles are equipped with SA2VF adaptive suspension. This retrofit is only applicable to the 228i without 2VF.
There must be European users out there, just maybe not on this forum. When ordered my m235ix I could choose between M-Sport and Adaptive M Suspension.

Last edited by x233; 04-27-2016 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
looking into this also...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2016, 12:15 AM   #12
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I'm planning on getting it eventually, have some buddies at the BMW dealership i used to work at so if anybody is interested i'll see if we can get a group buy going.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 01:15 AM   #13
mitchfort
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

M-Performance suspension review

Hi, all--I just had the M-performance suspension installed a week or so ago and thought I'd share my impressions. First things first, my 228 is a base level Sport Line, so base level non-adaptive, non- M-sport suspension on 17" RF's. Coming from an '05 E46, the base suspension was disappointing at best. Springs were too soft, steering somewhat indistinct and light at highway speeds and understeer was pronounced when the car was even lightly pushed into a turn. I decided on the M-performance over the KW as I didn't want quite that much of a drop and as the prices were roughly comparable for the upgrade, I wanted to keep the factory warranty. In short, after a week of driving, I'm really happy with the new suspension. The 20mm drop looks good with the stock tires and still plenty of clearance so no issues with curbs or rough roads. The car stays much more flat in the corners, grip is better and no more rocking back and forth stopping at lights. The understeer is much less pronounced at all speeds and I actually had the back kick out a bit getting on an on-ramp (I was trying to see what it would do)--but easily caught and controlled. Actually made me LOL. Steering is tighter all-around, even in Comfort mode, even better in Sport and the whole car is much more steady at highway speeds now, with none of the previous annoying vagueness when changing lanes, etc. As for firmness, it's firm but not harsh and well controlled over bumps, imperfections. I think the taller tires help, but I won't know until I replace with non-RF's in the future. I'm not familiar with the suspension feel on the THP or 235, so I can't compare it to that but it is a great improvement over the stock Sport line. I know, posts are worthless without pictures so I'll try to get some posted in a few days. Thanks to y'all who provided good feedback on the various suspension choices, it was really helpful in my decision on which one to do.

Time to get started on the speakers now...!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 02:28 AM   #14
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
On the 2016 MY in Canada it states on the website the 228i's come standard with the M performance suspensions. The M235i's come standard with the Adaptive M suspensions. I guess we don't have a chance to experience the regular suspensions or they realized that it's crap for their badge and decided to standardize it.
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 03:44 AM   #15
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfort View Post
Hi, all--I just had the M-performance suspension installed a week or so ago and thought I'd share my impressions. First things first, my 228 is a base level Sport Line, so base level non-adaptive, non- M-sport suspension on 17" RF's. Coming from an '05 E46, the base suspension was disappointing at best. Springs were too soft, steering somewhat indistinct and light at highway speeds and understeer was pronounced when the car was even lightly pushed into a turn. I decided on the M-performance over the KW as I didn't want quite that much of a drop and as the prices were roughly comparable for the upgrade, I wanted to keep the factory warranty. In short, after a week of driving, I'm really happy with the new suspension. The 20mm drop looks good with the stock tires and still plenty of clearance so no issues with curbs or rough roads. The car stays much more flat in the corners, grip is better and no more rocking back and forth stopping at lights. The understeer is much less pronounced at all speeds and I actually had the back kick out a bit getting on an on-ramp (I was trying to see what it would do)--but easily caught and controlled. Actually made me LOL. Steering is tighter all-around, even in Comfort mode, even better in Sport and the whole car is much more steady at highway speeds now, with none of the previous annoying vagueness when changing lanes, etc. As for firmness, it's firm but not harsh and well controlled over bumps, imperfections. I think the taller tires help, but I won't know until I replace with non-RF's in the future. I'm not familiar with the suspension feel on the THP or 235, so I can't compare it to that but it is a great improvement over the stock Sport line. I know, posts are worthless without pictures so I'll try to get some posted in a few days. Thanks to y'all who provided good feedback on the various suspension choices, it was really helpful in my decision on which one to do.

Can you post some pics? I really want this but can get a Bilstein height adjustable setup for not much more. I'm thinking the M Perf will ride better though since its a factory accessory and the Bilstein isn't 2 series specific.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #16
mitchfort
Rep

Pics of M-Performance suspension (finally)

I finally got around to getting pictures of the M-Performance as installed on my 228i. I'm on the stock 17" rims with the runflats (205/R50s). BMW says a 20mm drop and that is just about exactly what I've seen, now that the springs have had time to settle a bit. I didn't measure the wheel-well clearance prior to install but the tire-well gap was just about perfectly symmetrical before the install. I originally installed just to firm up the suspension but I really like the look of the drop and it has been no problem with some pretty aggressive speed bumps and parking curbs around town.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Well damn, that does get rid of the wheel gap perfectly and i was thinking i would have to get the Bilstein kit. I would like to see it on a M Sport car since it only claims 10mm drop on those. I'd say money well spent on this though, probably can't go wrong with either.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2016, 01:32 AM   #18
Vortexginge
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i & VW Scirocco R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF228 View Post
Well damn, that does get rid of the wheel gap perfectly and i was thinking i would have to get the Bilstein kit. I would like to see it on a M Sport car since it only claims 10mm drop on those. I'd say money well spent on this though, probably can't go wrong with either.
Yes my local bmw dealer said the same..that i would only get a 10mm drop.
Which isnt a lot..what i really want to know is if the kit actually improves handling too? You would hope so.I know it seems a silly question but as someone once said " there aint no stupid questions just stupid answers"!!!
It would be nice to hear from a few more people with the m suspension kit to gauge if it is the way to go...or not
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #19
lajollabeach
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bit faster than I should

what did it cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchfort View Post

Hey thanks for sharing that. Do you mind saying what you paid and where you had it done? My 228 is a lease and I think I would need to get it done at the dealer for around $4k.

I have a '16 228 M Sport non-adaptive and it has similar symptoms to what you reported. It's too soft in all modes. Bottoms out easily. Steering is too light at speed. Below about 70 mph on smooth roads the car is super fun to drive and corners extremely well, but it's terrible on crummy roads at speed. Above 70, pushed in a corner, a patch of uneven road surface makes the car feel like it's about to jump into the ditch. I am coming from an e36 with most of suspension components swapped out for M, and Bilstein shocks.

Last edited by lajollabeach; 09-16-2016 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
JoeyF228
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajollabeach View Post
Hey thanks for sharing that. Do you mind saying what you paid and where you had it done? My 228 is a lease and I think I would need to get it done at the dealer for around $4k.

I have a '16 228 M Sport non-adaptive and it has similar symptoms to what you reported. It's too soft in all modes. Bottoms out easily. Steering is too light at speed. Below about 70 mph on smooth roads the car is super fun to drive and corners extremely well, but it's terrible on crummy roads at speed. Above 70, pushed in a corner, a patch of uneven road surface makes the car feel like it's about to jump into the ditch. I am coming from an e36 with most of suspension components swapped out for M, and Bilstein shocks.
The suspension is under $1000 and labor with alignment should be less than that, it should actually be cheaper to install the whole kit than just lowering springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #21
2seriesaddict
Private
Rep
Drives: 220i with m235 looks

10mm drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF228 View Post
So this is the 10mm drop (looking to go lower though)

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 11.25.24 PM.png
Views: 7115
Size:  1.52 MB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 11.26.19 PM.png
Views: 7182
Size:  1.70 MB
      09-19-2016, 09:31 PM   #22
mitchfort
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajollabeach View Post

I paid a bit under $3k for the suspension, springs, install and alignment at an AZ dealership. I did have to remind them about ordering the correct springs (check the thread in the 3-series forum) and it was (I believe) the first time they had done the install but they did a great job on it overall. I did check with getbmwparts.com and at the time they only had a kit that was compatible with the 235i so the dealer was just as good a deal as I could find elsewhere. I'm happy--still pleased with the result overall. It really does transform the handling of the stock 228.
Appreciate 0