E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i vs 335xi coupe

01-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
dakid936
Rep
Drives: 06 325i-330i 02 330ci 06 evo9

335i vs 335xi coupe

gonna get 335 coupe but need it as daily driver so prob gonna go with xi what do we think about the two in regards to "vs" i will be moving near a track also so would like to join my brother who has a evo "406whp" on the new road coarse on the weekends. since my wife will be driving it also i need a auto with paddle shifters. any thoughts oh i currently have a 06 325i with no balls i hate it just feel that a chipped 335 would be better with all that power to all four wheels rather than to 1 with the open diff
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid936 View Post
gonna get 335 coupe but need it as daily driver so prob gonna go with xi what do we think about the two in regards to "vs" i will be moving near a track also so would like to join my brother who has a evo "406whp" on the new road coarse on the weekends. since my wife will be driving it also i need a auto with paddle shifters. any thoughts oh i currently have a 06 325i with no balls i hate it just feel that a chipped 335 would be better with all that power to all four wheels rather than to 1 with the open diff
Acording to those that have the 335xi step, the xi is faster than the i and the Step is faster than the 6MT. The AWD will be fine on the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

The xi is hella good time, esp when chipped. Do you have experience with performance driving in an AWD machine? The xDrive is not as performance oriented as other AWD systems from Audi, Suby, Mits, but it's still a great time. I notice the benefits over the RWD for putting power to the ground, being able to accelerate sooner out of the corners, esp with a chip. It is 200 lbs heavier, but that also serves to lower the center of gravity.

Honestly, unless you have an F1 license, I'd argue that the cars are so similar that your typical weekend warrior could get equal performance out of either car. The added benefit of the AWD when driving in slippery weather certainly tips the balance toward the xi, IMHO.

If you do have that F1 license, I still say the xi could be faster, it could be slower, but why are you driving a 3 series?

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
luckyD
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

get "i" more fun im from CT and this winter i drove on stock tires from non sport packg and it was great no problems and get stick if you get automatic you will regreat it
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #5
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

I was worried about the rear wheel drive coming from a quattro A4 with snows that was unstoppable in the snow.

I have the i with 18" blizzacks and it does well in the snow.. has been only one day where it stayed home due to clearance. It's seriously fun to toss around. Wet or dry. Both cars rock. So its a win win situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #6
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Just this weekend I had a little slip and slide fun. Every moment I realized how happy I was to have a rear wheel drive car.

The difference between the two in performance is negligible, and a car is only as good as its tires in the snow, so that's also a toss up. However, when you want to have some real fun, you shouldn't be held back by understeer if you know what I mean.

Regardless, that's a single opinion and some would find doing that stuff immature and a little reckless, and for good reasons I guess. However it's fun so I don't care about how others think of how I spend my time. Besides, a 335Xi has more than enough power to keep you happy if you don't feel like exploring the car's limits.

Try them both out and see how you feel about the two. If it snows year round then I'd suggest the Xi. If it's two weeks outta the year then I'd opt for the i.

Good luck with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 335i / 1994 Miata R

Your brother has a 406whp EVO, nice. I would say good luck trying to keep up with him on a track Those things are made for that kind of stuff. But thats besides the point. Personally here are my thoughts, get the 335i, get some really good tires and you will be just fine getting around corners and be quicker to. If your worried about the snow just put some snow tires on and drive safely and you will be ok as well. For me living in D.C. we have had 1 snow day so far, I am guessing we might on the high side have 2 more. Not really a problem at that point.
      01-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [10.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
If your idea of fun is just tossing the tail out from time to time then maybe RWD is more fun. If your idea of fun is having claw-like grip at every launch and the feeling you're on rails when taking high speed turns then you would REALLY like the xi. Slap on a set of performance all seasons and the fun factor dials up even more.

I live in the DC area too and it's true we get moderate to minimal snow most winters, but xi is not just good in snow. It's amazing in wet weather too. We get a good amount of rain here all year long.

Despite what you read on here this car is FUN to drive!
      01-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
KanosWRX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW 335i / 1994 Miata R

Yeah, we do get a decent amount of rain. I do enjoy the AWD, have had it on my subaru's for the last 6 years. But I wanna try something new and don't plan on driving crazy on the streets anymore. Plus I have my miata for the track. Just slap on some really good summer tires and that should give me plenty of grip in the dry and rain.