E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > weak battery coding mess up?

12-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

weak battery coding mess up?

I bought a brand new battery from the BMW dealership and install and registered it myself with the BMWlogger software.

b i m m e r s o f t w a r e.com

Went to a local shop and they said my battery is weak even though I replaced it just last year on Dec. 15.

I did notice the car having trouble to start.

Not sure what to do here but is there a way to recode so it charges the battery probably now?

I'm thinking of going to the dealership and seeing if I can still get it warranty. It's 2 days past the warranty period. Not sure how long BMW warranty their batteries for.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Using the hidden menu what voltage do you have with engine off and on?

I don't know about that software. I'd only trust BMW software like ISTA-D or tool32 etc for battery registration.

Was the battery a direct replacement i.e. Same ah rating? Same type (AGM?). If it was a different ah or different type it needs coding and registering. Without doing so would limit the battery life.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Dealer warrants their battery for two years if installed and registered by them. Otherwise 0 warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster View Post
Dealer warrants their battery for two years if installed and registered by them. Otherwise 0 warranty.
It can't be true, warranty is for 2 years no matter if register it at the dealer or not.

Go to the dealer and ask them to replace cause imo the battery has a factory flaw.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptomit View Post
It can't be true, warranty is for 2 years no matter if register it at the dealer or not.

Go to the dealer and ask them to replace cause imo the battery has a factory flaw.
I didn't get it registered by them. I called the parts department and told them my battery is weak. They told me to book an appointment with the service department to get the battery tested. I'm going to drop off the car tomorrow morning. Hopefully I still get the warranty for not registering with them.

Do you know of anyone or confirm that the battery is warranty for 2 years even without registering with them?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
mikeyh1015
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Getting the same issue on my 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_09 View Post
I didn't get it registered by them. I called the parts department and told them my battery is weak. They told me to book an appointment with the service department to get the battery tested. I'm going to drop off the car tomorrow morning. Hopefully I still get the warranty for not registering with them.

Do you know of anyone or confirm that the battery is warranty for 2 years even without registering with them?

anyone know if the battery sign is also due to a low battery on key?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

I'm not sure but I don't think so.

Is it normal to get charged a $139 diagnostic fee when you bring your car in for a battery warranty and they need to check the battery to see if it needs replacing? I didn't get the battery installed there but I bought it at the parts counter.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Quote:

The good part is that your battery has been registered. By law they can't deny warranty if the registration hasn't been done by them.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1saster
Quote:

The good part is that your battery has been registered. By law they can't deny warranty if the registration hasn't been done by them.
Just got the battery tested and they said the battery is fine. It might be the starter so they told me to come in to replace it if it goes.

Also got two things they pointed out to me "MANUAL GEAR SELECTOR SHAFT SEAL LEAK"
and
"DIFFERENTIAL PINION SEAL LEAK"

FML
Appreciate 0