Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
aperng
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 MW/SO 6MT

White aluminum oxide powder coming out of vents

Several other BMWs have seen this problem in the past, and my car, since day 1, has been spitting out lots of this stuff. In 1 day of driving, I get lots of aluminum oxide powder over the cup holders, chairs, and manual stick. All coming out of the vent.

It's at the dealership and they needed a west coast service rep to figure out the problem - anitfungal coating on the A/C evaporator that can dry out and flake off creating the white dust.

Been sucking this stuff in for 4 months with my family, car is in the shop for 1 week, and they claim there might be squeeks after they re-assemble as the entire dash has to come off to access the evaporator. Ugh. They better fix this right.

Just a note in case others are experiencing this.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=eP2SVIrbHMarggTLiYLIC Q&url=http://mempro.com/documents/MemPro-nCeramic-Al2O3-MSDS.pdf&ved=0CDYQFjAJ&usg=AFQjCNG46IzzXyVqEAVFfWF 6Mhh_qXZmiw&sig2=Rto9QoK8LUOCuymxtxLqmA

Months of inhalation? If you read handling guide, respiratory equipment should be used for handling this and is suspected carcinogen. I'd really make sure it's resolved
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperng View Post
Several other BMWs have seen this problem in the past, and my car, since day 1, has been spitting out lots of this stuff. In 1 day of driving, I get lots of aluminum oxide powder over the cup holders, chairs, and manual stick. All coming out of the vent.

It's at the dealership and they needed a west coast service rep to figure out the problem - anitfungal coating on the A/C evaporator that can dry out and flake off creating the white dust.

Been sucking this stuff in for 4 months with my family, car is in the shop for 1 week, and they claim there might be squeeks after they re-assemble as the entire dash has to come off to access the evaporator. Ugh. They better fix this right.

Just a note in case others are experiencing this.
Very interesting. We live in the same county, and I dont have this issue. Perhaps something happened with yours specifically?
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Jeeze everything causes cancer. Seriously though, this is frightening. Has it been tested to confirm its aluminum oxide?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
aperng
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 MW/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentrnge View Post
Jeeze everything causes cancer. Seriously though, this is frightening. Has it been tested to confirm its aluminum oxide?
Not sure, dealer rep couldn't tell me. The car is now finished, took 6 days. I pick it up tomorrow so will see if I can get an answer.
Appreciate 0