F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Can't get comfortable and I'm losing my sanity...
ARMA SPEED

12-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Can't get comfortable and I'm losing my sanity...

Sorry for the rant but...

I just went on a ride from Hicksville to Brooklyn (for those of you from the area), which is a about 45 mins. I then went straight back without getting out of the car. I was on the road for maybe an hour and a half and by the time I got back I had an annoying amount of lower back pain.

If I inflate the lumbar support I think makes things worse, everything about it feels unnatural about it so I leave it deflated.

I don't know about you but my head never touches the headrest and I'm always leaning forward a little (atleast my head is) but I think thats normal.

Anyway this is driving me nuts and its been a few hours since I've gotten out of the car and I still feel lingering pain... I don't know if I need to lose weight or what but this is getting annoying.
      12-20-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Changing seating position, even very slightly, can have a big effect on your muscles. Whatever you did in your last car needs to be replicated here. The good news is that you've sort of proven that a deflated lumbar support may be the problem, I'd start by deploying it 50% and see if that helps, then 75% and then 100% until you feel better. If that lower area is hurting, chances are its because you're depriving it of all the support.

Also too your legs play a key role in lower back comfort, make sure you've got the pitch tilting you backwards ever so slightly so it takes the load off of the thighs and calves a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:02 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Changing seating position, even very slightly, can have a big effect on your muscles. Whatever you did in your last car needs to be replicated here. The good news is that you've sort of proven that a deflated lumbar support may be the problem, I'd start by deploying it 50% and see if that helps, then 75% and then 100% until you feel better. If that lower area is hurting, chances are its because you're depriving it of all the support.

Also too your legs play a key role in lower back comfort, make sure you've got the pitch tilting you backwards ever so slightly so it takes the load off of the thighs and calves a bit.
Hmm. So you think even though having the lumbar feels weird for me that I should try to inflate it anyway and see if it helps?

Maybe it only feels odd because I've only messed with it after my back was hurting anyway but typical I don't like how the lumbar feels, none the less I will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Joe!
      12-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
Hmm. So you think even though having the lumbar feels weird for me that I should try to inflate it anyway and see if it helps?

Maybe it only feels odd because I've only messed with it after my back was hurting anyway but typical I don't like how the lumbar feels, none the less I will try tomorrow.

Thanks for the info Joe!

Yeah, I think even though it feels odd your back needs the support and you should give it a try. I had a similar situation, I put the lumbar out on max, no problems since.

The human spine curves inwards, towards your belly button. When you sit in a car seat for a long period of time with your spine getting no lower support, it curves backwards, towards your rear. So to compensate, you're unknowingly asking your lumbar muscles to 'push' your back forwards and that's what causes the discomfort. Filling that cavity with the seat support curves your spine forwards again and takes the pressure off your lower back muscles, at least it does for me.

Last edited by joewalton; 12-20-2014 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
I am a retired chiropractor and this topic comes up from time to time. Keep trying different things, but try to change only one variable at a time and give it a chance (like a few days) to see if it helps or not.

A couple of things I would suggest:

1) adjusting the seat cushion so that the front drops down to create a support parallel to the floor. This helps to decrease or eliminate the bucket. Bucket seats can put an undue strain on the low back.

2) adjusting the back cushion so that it is almost straight up, like at 80 or 85 degrees.

You want to be sitting in as close to a right angle for your two cushions as possible.

3) put a small pillow or a towel right at the junction (in the crack) of the seat cushion and the back cushion. This provides support to your sacrum (below your lumbar spine) where the car's lumbar support won't help. I actually have two small pillows down there and have flattened out my seat cushion and straightened up my back cushion. I now can sit comfortably straight up with my head naturally just slightly touching the headrest.
      12-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Two words "SPORT SEATS"

I had a 2014 X1 with the regular seats and they where horrible. Almost any short drive caused leg cramps and overall discomfort no matter how I adjusted the seats. Went to a 2014 428 with sport seats and they made a remarkable difference not only in no more pain but general comfort all around. So I went from a minus comfort level to a plus comfort level. If the dealership and sales associate doesn't give every consumer the benefit of comparing the 2 types of seats, they should not be in the business.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 05:46 AM   #7
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I initially found the lumbar support to be a bit weird.

However, since driving a loaner with no lumbar support it was just a night day difference. The one without lumbar, my back felt totally unsupported together with a hunchback sort of feeling. My wife felt the same.

I inflate mine just marginally and that's enough to keep my back supported.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
Two words "SPORT SEATS"

I had a 2014 X1 with the regular seats and they where horrible. Almost any short drive caused leg cramps and overall discomfort no matter how I adjusted the seats. Went to a 2014 428 with sport seats and they made a remarkable difference not only in no more pain but general comfort all around. So I went from a minus comfort level to a plus comfort level. If the dealership and sales associate doesn't give every consumer the benefit of comparing the 2 types of seats, they should not be in the business.
I was assuming OP had sport seats because he mentioned the lumbar support mechanism. I don't think the base seats come with that even as an option, do they?
      12-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Jesus.. This app stinks.. I'm trying to popcorn the other thread!!!!!!!

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
I was assuming OP had sport seats because he mentioned the lumbar support mechanism. I don't think the base seats come with that even as an option, do they?
Yes either type gets lumbar with the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
Two words "SPORT SEATS"

I honestly don't think the base vs sport seats are too different in the F30. The only real additional padding is on the sides, the bottom cushion is still very flat.

In the E90 sport seats make a world of difference but.

Quote:
You can get standard seats with lumbar. Thats what I have.
      12-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I honestly don't think the base vs sport seats are too different in the F30. The only real additional padding is on the sides, the bottom cushion is still very flat.

In the E90 sport seats make a world of difference but.

You can get standard seats with lumbar. Thats what I have.
I've never sat in the base seats so I can't say, but from all reports I've read on the boards there have got to be more differences between the base and sport seats besides the side bolsters. I have a feeling that the whole contour of the seat is different.
      12-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

To the fact that the sport seat has the extended thigh support makes a big difference, not only because of the additional length, but also because the extension is very padded and cushing.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Quote:
I am a retired chiropractor and this topic comes up from time to time. Keep trying different things, but try to change only one variable at a time and give it a chance (like a few days) to see if it helps or not.

A couple of things I would suggest:

1) adjusting the seat cushion so that the front drops down to create a support parallel to the floor. This helps to decrease or eliminate the bucket. Bucket seats can put an undue strain on the low back.

2) adjusting the back cushion so that it is almost straight up, like at 80 or 85 degrees.

You want to be sitting in as close to a right angle for your two cushions as possible.

3) put a small pillow or a towel right at the junction (in the crack) of the seat cushion and the back cushion. This provides support to your sacrum (below your lumbar spine) where the car's lumbar support won't help. I actually have two small pillows down there and have flattened out my seat cushion and straightened up my back cushion. I now can sit comfortably straight up with my head naturally just slightly touching the headrest.
Chiropractor here as well and I will second my what my colleague here posted as solutions.

Another thing to consider, maybe you have a back issue that is flaring up which would bother you while driving ANY car right now.

Have you driven any other cars recently where you could see if your back feels differently? Rather than blame this particular car's seats, maybe you should look into the reason why driving for 45min is bothering you at all? It shouldn't. Solve that problem and the seats won't be that much of an issue, as they seem to be highly adjustable with a pretty good lumbar support.
      12-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #16
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Interesting note about it possibly being your back regardless of what car you drove.

After years of driving my X3 I started to get right knee pain. Something like an inflammation. I adjusted the seating position but it would never really go away and would flare up the more I drove.

I switch to a 435 in the summer and the seating position is totally different and it was fine for a month then it came back. Finally went to a physiotherapist to have it looked at and he found my right hamstring was incredibly tight compared to my left. The pull was causing something in my knee.

After giving me some stretches to do I have had no problems since unless I forget to stretch. So, it ended up being something about my muscles and tendons more than it was the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post
Chiropractor here as well and I will second my what my colleague here posted as solutions.

Another thing to consider, maybe you have a back issue that is flaring up which would bother you while driving ANY car right now.

Have you driven any other cars recently where you could see if your back feels differently? Rather than blame this particular car's seats, maybe you should look into the reason why driving for 45min is bothering you at all? It shouldn't. Solve that problem and the seats won't be that much of an issue, as they seem to be highly adjustable with a pretty good lumbar support.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I think it might just be the way these seats are. I drove my car for about 20 minutes yesterday and I'm feeling it today in my lower back and shoulder blades. Now I have known major back issues, so that could be the cause, but I never had a problem with the Articulating Comfort seats in the X5M or 750, or the seats in the A6, so something tells me its just the way these seats may be.

Unlike the chiropractors, I can't sit upright. I have a long torso, so I have to recline the seat to around a 60° angle to clear the roof with my head.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I think it might just be the way these seats are. I drove my car for about 20 minutes yesterday and I'm feeling it today in my lower back and shoulder blades. Now I have known major back issues, so that could be the cause, but I never had a problem with the Articulating Comfort seats in the X5M or 750, or the seats in the A6, so something tells me its just the way these seats may be.

Unlike the chiropractors, I can't sit upright. I have a long torso, so I have to recline the seat to around a 60° angle to clear the roof with my head.
Ah, sorry to hear you're having issues with the seats in your new car. I just sat in a 5er with the multi-contour seats and its a world of difference.

However besides that congrats on picking up the car! Hope you're enjoying it otherwise, I meant to send you a message.
      12-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Ah, sorry to hear you're having issues with the seats in your new car. I just sat in a 5er with the multi-contour seats and its a world of difference.

However besides that congrats on picking up the car! Hope you're enjoying it otherwise, I meant to send you a message.
Thanks.

I'm not all that worried about the seats. If they don't break in, I'll probably look into a swap for the multi-contours. Wondering if they may be too wide to fit the narrow F3X cabin though.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Thanks.

I'm not all that worried about the seats. If they don't break in, I'll probably look into a swap for the multi-contours. Wondering if they may be too wide to fit the narrow F3X cabin though.
I wish one could put 5er multi contour seats in this car.
      12-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I have the lumbar fully deflated, but still positioned to the lowest vertical setting. You might want to fiddle with it as up vs down can be felt even when fully deflated.

I also suggesting fidgeting. On long trips I frequently shift slightly in various ways. Left knee bent, then straightened. Seat flat then tilted forward, then tiled back. Seat normal, then slid forward, then slid back. Seat back straight up, then tilted back, etc. Sitting in one position for too long isn't good for you no matter how comfortable it feels.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #22
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Quote:

Again Im just speculating about the cause of the issue, but saying that you never had a problem with the seats in your prior cars won't always dictate your present situation. Your condition could have gotten worse, or you could be experiencing a new level of discomfort that you haven't felt before, making the driving position as a whole more difficult. The seats are highly adjustable in many angles, including the lumbar support. A fairly comfortable position should be attainable for a 1 1/2 hr drive, unless there is NO position that will be comfortable. Then you have a problem.

Unless that is, the car in general is too low and the roofline too cramped for your body frame to fit into unless you recline the seat beyond the limits of proper sitting posture and comfort.

In that case it would be the car, not the seat that is the problem. A car with a more upright seating position may work better. An SUV possibly. The 328 is the lowest car I've ever owned, and the seating position is more like laying down than sitting up. I kinda like it though, other than the flopping down and back onto the seat when getting in the car. But thats the price we pay for handling and performance and being closer to the road surface.

Just saying, look into it before you start tearing out seats to swap and spend money unnecessarily. And get that back checked out somewhere.