F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan springs and baseline suspension vs. DHP stock
GetBMWParts

12-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 BMW 328i

Dinan springs and baseline suspension vs. DHP stock

I had an opportunity to take a f30 328i with DHP out today and compare it to my baseline without DHP but with Dinan springs and stops installed.

My overall impression is I would take my setup any day of the week. But I have to admit I thought the sport mode was decent on the DHP.

One caveat it was a butt dyno type situation where I can only speak of car feel from a drivers perspective with no objective data to give. That being said I prefer the rail like feeling of the lowered springs and baseline shocks. I am sure I can improve that with some Bilsteins when these ware out but I do not regret not getting the DHP option.
      12-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
henryeeex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

DHP + Dinan Springs is even more amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 11:34 AM   #3
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryX
DHP + Dinan Springs is even more amazing.
I could easily see that from my brief time with it.

My opinion is Dinan + DHP (speculative since I haven't tried it > Dinan + baseline > DHP alone > baseline alone.

I think I was writing more to express the opinion and let others out there know that there are reasonably priced options out there to fix the baseline suspension in case you regret not picking up the m sport suspension or DHP.
      12-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbovill View Post
I could easily see that from my brief time with it.

My opinion is Dinan + DHP (speculative since I haven't tried it > Dinan + baseline > DHP alone > baseline alone.

I think I was writing more to express the opinion and let others out there know that there are reasonably priced options out there to fix the baseline suspension in case you regret not picking up the m sport suspension or DHP.
V2/3 coils > MPS > Dinan + shockware > dinan + M sport shocks > dinan + base shocks > M sport w/ DHP > M sport > base suspenion

somewhere in there you can add H&R with OEM shocks/DHP/Msport shocks. All subjective where it would slot.

Last edited by focal; 12-28-2014 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

+1
      12-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Ibovill, I've read in a few places that the Dinan spring suspension setup (with stops) is not as good unless you have active dampers. I have passive M Sport Dampers (s704a), which is I believe what you have, and I'm thinking of dropping it on the Dinan setup. Mainly I'm looking to drop the car for aesthetics, but maybe also for a slightly firmer feel. I have 20" rims with 225/35 up front and 255/30 at the rear. I've dropped cars before so know how it generally feels etc. hopefully with the low profile tires it won't be too uncomfortable.

Do you still have them? I read another post of a guy (VIP) looking to get rid of them, so a little concerned. Can you give me your thought on the ride now that you've spend some time on it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
Ibovill, I've read in a few places that the Dinan spring suspension setup (with stops) is not as good unless you have active dampers. I have passive M Sport Dampers (s704a), which is I believe what you have, and I'm thinking of dropping it on the Dinan setup. Mainly I'm looking to drop the car for aesthetics, but maybe also for a slightly firmer feel. I have 20" rims with 225/35 up front and 255/30 at the rear. I've dropped cars before so know how it generally feels etc. hopefully with the low profile tires it won't be too uncomfortable.

Do you still have them? I read another post of a guy (VIP) looking to get rid of them, so a little concerned. Can you give me your thought on the ride now that you've spend some time on it.

Thanks
I have the DHP, but the additional 10mm drop really helps the flatness in hard corners.
      12-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
I would not be able to truly answer your question about relative values because I have not tried the Dinan with the adaptive suspension. In addition, I have the baseline model so we actually have different dampers (at least in part number) I suspect the numbers are different for more than just categorizing purposes, and that BMW supplies stiffer dampers for the m sport passive suspension than the baseline suspension. I would venture a guess that your car also rides a few mm lower than my car did stock so the drop between yours and the Dinan springs would be less of a change as well.

The springs are most definitely stiffer than the stock OEM springs and the lower center of gravity makes the car just feel better to me. I have no objective proof that it actually handles better, but I like the way it drives now. Personally I am a feel all the bumps in the road kind of person. I don't like a jarring ride, but I like to know what is going on under my car. I feel that the Dinan with the baseline provides that. It does not jar you but you definitely feel more connected to the road.

Of course it is personal preference for what you like. Having dropped a few cars before you know the difference in handling and performance I would guess that this car is no different. As far as fitment goes I really could not tell you if the wheels will fit comfortably.

I still have them on the car, and in my opinion the Dinan Springs and bump stops vastly improved my car. Who knows I may be on here in three months complaining about how I have blown out my stock dampers, which I plan on replacing with Bilstiens when they do, but at this point there is no symptom to suggest that will happen.

I have also read VIP's posts and a number of other people who have gone springs and then coil overs. My opinion was that he was looking for something more than lowering springs offer to begin with. He was trying to get more than what they offer and when installed he realized it and moved on to a product that matched his needs better. So really the question is do you want to drop the car with springs or a full suspension upgrade? That is for you to decide. To be honest, my plan is that at some point in the future, likely about a year or two from now I will replace the entire suspension with adjustable coil overs and dial the ride height and suspension in perfectly. But I am more than satisfied with the Dinan and baseline ride for now. I just wanted to be sure I put it out there for others who may be in the same boat as me and wanted to know if people had tried it and what their thoughts were. I was also shocked at how much the lower center of gravity changed my perspective on the ride quality of the car versus the stock DHP suspension.

I hope that answered your questions.
      12-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #9
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Thanks Inovill, appreciate you taking the time to comment further and explain your position. This is exactly what I was looking for. I also like a lower center of gravity feeling and slightly firmer ride, but just not keen on a bone jarring feeling.

Going the coil overs route is not in my budget right now as I just sprung for an exhaust mod and M Performance Carbon/Alcantara interior kit. Also I'm planning on changing the Intercooler and charge pipe before summer (TX summer defeats the rinky dinky FMIC, with heat soak after first couple hard pulls). So I think the Dinan Coils and stops will be right on for what I'm looking at. Perhaps Like you I will look at something more advanced later on. I'd also like to add the MP Big Brake Kit, so it could be a while....lol
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
lbovill
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Inovill, appreciate you taking the time to comment further and explain your position. This is exactly what I was looking for. I also like a lower center of gravity feeling and slightly firmer ride, but just not keen on a bone jarring feeling.

Going the coil overs route is not in my budget right now as I just sprung for an exhaust mod and M Performance Carbon/Alcantara interior kit. Also I'm planning on changing the Intercooler and charge pipe before summer (TX summer defeats the rinky dinky FMIC, with heat soak after first couple hard pulls). So I think the Dinan Coils and stops will be right on for what I'm looking at. Perhaps Like you I will look at something more advanced later on. I'd also like to add the MP Big Brake Kit, so it could be a while....lol
I know exactly what your thinking. I bought the baseline model and said I will be satisfied with that, but then mod creep began. It started with the BMS JB3, then I needed better handling. Then the interior needed the CF trim from top to bottom. Then the stereo needed upgrading, the rims needed to be replaced (receiving the new ones in two days). Then the bumper needed modifying, the tint needed to be done, the intake, the exhaust. The next thing I know I am in 4 grand on a car I planned on just keeping bone stock and driving into the ground. Oh well, at least now I can pretend that I am finished with the car... for now.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Coil overs are great but I tend to do them to cars when I have to replace the stock suspension anyway. That way I can justify it to myself as a minor expense over what I would already have to pay. Flawed logic I know, but hey isn't that what most modifications are (obviously not all).