F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What a muppet!! But it's just not right!!!!
GetBMWParts

12-30-2014, 01:35 AM   #1
Adybaby
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i F30

What a muppet!! But it's just not right!!!!

So, I went to watch Reading on Saturday, left car in usual car park. Came back to car 2 1/2 hours later - engine was still running, lights had come on, but at least it was locked!!!! Yes so I obviously should have pressed my button. But FFS it is just crazy that a car can be locked and walk off with the keys and it just keeps running and will only stop if fuel runs out??? Bloody keyless design, it's pointless - so the engine will cut out with ASS but you can walk off, lock the car, and it won't turn off. It ain't right and BMW need to address this!!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
PCR0303
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F32

1. Keyless isn't meant for you to walk away and have the engine cutout. It's so you can unlock the car without having to take out the key. It's so you can once again not have to take out the key, push a button and start the car. So no, it's not pointless.

2. Also, you can't compare ASS to that because ASS is meant to save fuel during drives whereas you are too lazy to hit a button to turn the car off.

3. A lot of other car makers have similar keyless designs. The car isn't going to cut out just cause it doesn't detect the key fob. Most likely due to safety issues. Once the car is running, it's running. So no, BMW doesn't need to address this.

TLDR: Just turn off the damn car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

I don't get how you can do that. I push the on off button to unlock the doors for the kids. In accessory maybe but even then, it was locked which makes it even weirded. Heheh.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Adybaby
Private
Rep

Yeah ok, I get the 'you should have turned the car off' but I'm not the only guy to get out of the car without pressing the ignition off button, that's for sure!!!! It's just plain ridiculous that you can lock a car from outside and leave engine running....even if it had a beep or something to say engine running. CRAZY CRAZY just saying.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

I understand how you managed to do it... just for me, it could never happen. When ASS kicks in after you've parked, the engine appears off for 2 minutes. After that time, the engine would kick back in... and you're long gone.

Still funny... thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
BimmerQuest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35ix M-Sport MPPK

I like the ability to leave the car running, get out, lock the doors and walk away - no beeps like the Infiniti (which also allows the exact same thing btw).

It comes in handy when it's 0 degrees outside and you want to leave the car running to keep it warm - especially if others are in the car. Same applies when it is hot outside.

It isn't crazy, but rather an intentional design based on specific use cases.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

There was an old thread just like this a long time ago (back when the F30 was new). Make sure your car is truly off before you leave!

@ BimmerQuest - that is a nice use case. I wish the ConnectedDrive app would let you remote start your car (turn on defroster, heated seats/steering wheel, etc.).
      12-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adybaby View Post
Yeah ok, I get the 'you should have turned the car off' but I'm not the only guy to get out of the car without pressing the ignition off button, that's for sure!!!! It's just plain ridiculous that you can lock a car from outside and leave engine running....even if it had a beep or something to say engine running. CRAZY CRAZY just saying.
I do it a lot. When I lock my door my engine turns off. I mainly do it when I am parked somewhere where I'm not in a garage and have to heat up my car. In previous cars I've owned with push button start, I'd start the car up, lock the doors and go back inside as the car warmed up. That was in my Infiniti.

Can't do that so much with the BMW, unless I want to roll the dice and hope someone just doesn't hop in my car and drive off because with keyless ignition systems, if the car is on, it won't just turn off on it's own if the keyfob isn't in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerQuest View Post
I like the ability to leave the car running, get out, lock the doors and walk away - no beeps like the Infiniti (which also allows the exact same thing btw).

It comes in handy when it's 0 degrees outside and you want to leave the car running to keep it warm - especially if others are in the car. Same applies when it is hot outside.

Exactly! Although I rarely have to use this feature, it is nice to have.
      12-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #10
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C

Quote:
Came back to car 2 1/2 hours later - engine was still running, lights had come on, but at least it was locked!!!!
Your experience ended a lot better than my father's. Sometime in the 80's, he parked his Olds 98 in a lot, left the engine running with keys in the ignition, locked it up and got on a ferry to Martha's Vineyard...for 2 weeks. Someone eventually notified the police about the locked car left idling and the cops assumed that there must have been an abduction. From there, it got really stupid.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Honestly the only person to blame is yourself.
      12-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #12
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

OP what's the sequence of you exiting the car?
1. Stop at the parking lot, ASS activates, engine off, foot is on the brake
2. You open the door by pulling the handle once (assuming no autolock), foot is still on the brake, transmission switch to park sensing the door is open, engine still off
3. You get out of the car, obviously foot is not on the brake anymore, engine still off(???)
4. You lock the car from outside and leave. After two minutes the engine starts?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

I do not know how you manage to do this... Assuming the car was running - not on ready - when you exited the car maybe. But ready..? It cannot happen. The mmen you open the drivers door the car goes off, and from there its not possible to start without foot on brake and pressing the start stop button...?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

The ASS should have disabled itself the moment you took off your seat belt.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #15
Adybaby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
The ASS should have disabled itself the moment you took off your seat belt.
Really??? Mine doesnt do that?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #16
Adybaby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerQuest View Post

YES agreed, but the only issue with that is possibly leaving the keys in the house, getting in the car and driving to your destination - and then realising you have no keys!!! to start the car for your journey home!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Unfortunately all this is possible.

I have parked up, engine actually running, got out, chatting etc, locked car, only the fact my lights were still on stopped me and I would DoH!!

Also drove out of drive planning on going to work, realised had left my keys n my jacket.
- originally left house, started car while wearing jacket, decided to take coat, got in car drove off - luckily realised I was a plonker and drove home.

Thread on UK forum, of wife taking taking car home after dropping husband off at golf club.
He drove there and had the keys in his pocket.
She got in drivers seat, drove off - engine be still running.
Got home, stopped car.
Then realised no house keys and no car key to start the car up, also no mobile, so had to wait for husband finishing golf.

So yeah you have to think, I know it's a hardship but I guess that thinking is now part of car ownership
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #18
Adybaby
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Unfortunately all this is possible.

I have parked up, engine actually running, got out, chatting etc, locked car, only the fact my lights were still on stopped me and I would DoH!!

Also drove out of drive planning on going to work, realised had left my keys n my jacket.
- originally left house, started car while wearing jacket, decided to take coat, got in car drove off - luckily realised I was a plonker and drove home.

Thread on UK forum, of wife taking taking car home after dropping husband off at golf club.
He drove there and had the keys in his pocket.
She got in drivers seat, drove off - engine be still running.
Got home, stopped car.
Then realised no house keys and no car key to start the car up, also no mobile, so had to wait for husband finishing golf.

So yeah you have to think, I know it's a hardship but I guess that thinking is now part of car ownership
Thanks for this, will cancel my appointment with the shrink then!!!! Its just an enormous tad crazy these things can be done.

Think - ohh really if I must, but will prob be on here again.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #19
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
So, I went to watch Reading on Saturday, left car in usual car park. Came back to car 2 1/2 hours later - engine was still running, lights had come on, but at least it was locked!!!! Yes so I obviously should have pressed my button. But FFS it is just crazy that a car can be locked and walk off with the keys and it just keeps running and will only stop if fuel runs out??? Bloody keyless design, it's pointless - so the engine will cut out with ASS but you can walk off, lock the car, and it won't turn off. It ain't right and BMW need to address this!!

By the 2 recent threads you have started, and your apparent stated irresponsibility, you should probably give up your car for a traditional one that requires a key turned within the console to drive off.

This is the only way to prevent your two concerns as you have stated. Sorry about the brutal honesty here.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #20
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's a quiet car. Put new loud exhaust and you're good to go
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #21
petro
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

I did this once when I was tired. Stopped at a reverse parallel park, locked the car and walked across the road to use the ATM. Half way through my transaction I notice my lights on. That's strange... Get back to the car, engine is now running and the doors are locked.

My mistake was not turning the ignition off... ASS kicked in when I parked the car, I press the park button on the transmission shifter which allows me to take my foot off the brake without the car starting. Open the door, probably didn't see the warning about ignition still on. Lock the doors, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #22
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

I don't know what is more disturbing.... you left the car running or went to see Reading
Appreciate 0