E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Rain Sensor Coding Auto Wipers not working on Comfort Glass Windshield e90 lci 335d

01-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
VTChevalier
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Rain Sensor Coding Auto Wipers not working on Comfort Glass Windshield e90 lci 335d

As the title states, I recently replaced my windshield with comfort glass in an e90 lci, a 2011 335d and the auto windshield wipers no longer swipe until its too late. So basically the auto wipers are very unsensitive. Does anyone have experience getting the rain sensor to work properly on comfort glass? I have read with other models that the car needs to be coded for the glass, but I can't find anything concrete, so I thought I'd post here. I am very noob to coding things myself, so any tips would be great.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 03:21 AM   #2
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Do you have CLIMATE COMFORT WINDSCREEN?
The VO must be added and recoded, then Rain Sensor initialization, that's it.

Do you have a k+Dcan cable? What is the year of your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
VTChevalier
Rep

Comfort glass was what was installed, it has the greenish/blueish tint to it. The windshield shipped with a rain sensor attached, but nothing has been done 'coding' wise. I don't have any cables yet - my car is a 2011 335D US. I don't mind learning something new or ordering cables, the dealership here didn't know how to set it.

Last edited by VTChevalier; 01-06-2015 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
Midlife_C
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

The windshield on my 335i has also been replaced and the Rain Sensor has stopped working (wipers did not wipe at all in Auto mode, even if it rained heavily). It happens to many people who replace their windshields. The car just needs to "learn" the new reflection properties of the windshield.

I did the Rain Sensor initialization and the Auto mode has started working again.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:05 AM   #5
Midlife_C
Private
Australia
Rep

Sorry should probably mention what the Rain Sensor initialization involves:
You'll need a OBD cable (I got one from e-bay for around $20)
You will also need to install INPA software.
Once you have the above two working with your car, here are the steps to do in INPA:

E90
Karosserie
Rain and Light sensor
F6 (Activate)
F1 (initialize)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
VTChevalier
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife_C View Post
Sorry should probably mention what the Rain Sensor initialization involves:
You'll need a OBD cable (I got one from e-bay for around $20)
You will also need to install INPA software.
Once you have the above two working with your car, here are the steps to do in INPA:

E90
Karosserie
Rain and Light sensor
F6 (Activate)
F1 (initialize)
Awesome information, thank you - digging further, I see multiple versions of INPA - I have 5.0.1 and 6.4.3, will those instructions work on either version? Should I be aware in using a particular cable with newer versus older?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:00 AM   #7
Midlife_C
Private
Australia
Rep

I was using INPA 5.0.6 - just because I happened to find links and instructions on how to install it. I am pretty sure the instructions would be the same for the newer version.
As for the cable - cannot tell you for sure which one is best. I just searched eBay for "INPA cable". Older BMW models may require a specific cable or certain two pins to be connected, but with your model it is not a problem. You will see in the item description if it suits your car.

Here is another link with a bit of extra info on the rain sensor and the procedure:
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...B656160002.htm
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
VTChevalier
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife_C View Post
I was using INPA 5.0.6 - just because I happened to find links and instructions on how to install it. I am pretty sure the instructions would be the same for the newer version.
As for the cable - cannot tell you for sure which one is best. I just searched eBay for "INPA cable". Older BMW models may require a specific cable or certain two pins to be connected, but with your model it is not a problem. You will see in the item description if it suits your car.

Here is another link with a bit of extra info on the rain sensor and the procedure:
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...B656160002.htm
WOW - thank you so much, this gives me so much hope that I can fix this. No one I talk to seems to have a clue about BMW specifics. I owe you a beer or coffee. I'll post back in a couple weeks when I get the cable and have time to try this.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Jesus E90 M3
Private First Class
Jordan
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTChevalier View Post
WOW - thank you so much, this gives me so much hope that I can fix this. No one I talk to seems to have a clue about BMW specifics. I owe you a beer or coffee. I'll post back in a couple weeks when I get the cable and have time to try this.
Any updates on your fix?

I have the same problem with my E90 335i.
Appreciate 0