F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW Coilovers
Extreme Powerhouse

01-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #1
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

KW Coilovers

I'm looking at a set of KWs, likely a set of DDCs.

I've been reading that KWs really don't go "high" enough? I'm looking to run with maybe a 1 Finger to 1/2 Finger Gap.

Anybody have some KWs and can shed some insight on how "high" they can actually go? Every picture I've seen, the KWs are always lowered quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

I can only speak of my experience with KW on my Audi S5. The rear was too low even at the minimum drop. They initially sent me some spacers but this didnt work either. After several weeks of dealing with KW they sent me a different, longer spring. Many other Audi S4 users had a same problem. I have read this happens to some BMWs as well. One option you have is to go with the Street Comforts which have less of a drop to them. This is why I am going with Bilstein comforts.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Yup on the F30 the rear is the problem. I ride low so not an issue for me, but if you are looking for a finger gap on the rear, that is not going to happen without the spacer. I have mine at its max height for winter mode and I am still tucking the tire. But they ride so nice. Doesn't even come close to riding how low it is. Every one that has been in my car has been shocked how nice the ride is at its height.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
I can only speak of my experience with KW on my Audi S5. The rear was too low even at the minimum drop. They initially sent me some spacers but this didnt work either. After several weeks of dealing with KW they sent me a different, longer spring. Many other Audi S4 users had a same problem. I have read this happens to some BMWs as well. One option you have is to go with the Street Comforts which have less of a drop to them. This is why I am going with Bilstein comforts.
How did you get those longer springs? I assume you just went back and forth with KW until they sent you something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Yup on the F30 the rear is the problem. I ride low so not an issue for me, but if you are looking for a finger gap on the rear, that is not going to happen without the spacer. I have mine at its max height for winter mode and I am still tucking the tire. But they ride so nice. Doesn't even come close to riding how low it is. Every one that has been in my car has been shocked how nice the ride is at its height.
Hmm, both of this is not what I wanted to hear, lol.

I know KWs ride amazingly, I used to have a set before. They're amazing coils and perform well, but I really need to have that 1-Finger gap.

In terms of the Spacer, is that something you can order from KW themselves?

EDIT: Sent KW an EMail regarding a Longer Spring/Spacer. Will report back with findings!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
jazza
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
I'm looking at a set of KWs, likely a set of DDCs.

I've been reading that KWs really don't go "high" enough? I'm looking to run with maybe a 1 Finger to 1/2 Finger Gap.

Anybody have some KWs and can shed some insight on how "high" they can actually go? Every picture I've seen, the KWs are always lowered quite a bit.
I'm in the same dilemma...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #6
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazza View Post
I'm in the same dilemma...
I did find on KW's website that they have Spring Spacers. So, worst case, I can just pick up those when I order the coils.

That being said, KW has not gotten back to me yet.

Also not sure if they have an Application for the F33 Non-EDC. Turner Motorsports doens't list an Application for it, and neither does the KW Website.

But they list an option for the F32 Non-EDC. I Figure the F33 vs F32 should have different rates to accommodate for the slightly heavier F33.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #7
jazza
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post
I did find on KW's website that they have Spring Spacers. So, worst case, I can just pick up those when I order the coils.

That being said, KW has not gotten back to me yet.

Also not sure if they have an Application for the F33 Non-EDC. Turner Motorsports doens't list an Application for it, and neither does the KW Website.

But they list an option for the F32 Non-EDC. I Figure the F33 vs F32 should have different rates to accommodate for the slightly heavier F33.

Thanks

But these spacers do not influence the driving ???
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazza View Post
Thanks

But these spacers do not influence the driving ???
Shouldn't change driving at all. It's just putting a piece of metal on top of the spring so that it "lifts" the car more.
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

i'm also between getting KW v2/v3 or Bilstein PSS10, maybe Mperf suspension but i think coils are better for daily.