E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SES and 1/2 Engine Symbol

01-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
gtvr6_99
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

SES and 1/2 Engine Symbol

Hey everyone – I apologize for this long post but I am hoping to get some help or advice on a problem I’ve been having with my car. A little over a month ago the ½ engine symbol came up on my dash. First thought I had was that the HPFP finally went but the car kept running fine. I was in the middle of running errands with my kids and I couldn’t stop. I kept using the car like normal, shutting it off and turning it on. Car would start fine each time but the ½ engine symbol kept appearing, along with the Service Engine Soon (“SES”) light. I got back into the car about an hour later to pick up my kids and only the SES light came on. The next time I started the car there was no ½ engine symbol or SES light. Car was fine for a couple of days, but eventually the whole cycle happened again. I had Autozone pull the code (I haven’t gotten a reader because I’m not sure which one to get) and it was the P0365 -camshaft position sensor B, bank 1. I searched and came across a few possibilities on what could trigger the code and decided the VANOS solenoid being my problem. The warning lights were happening more often but I noticed that the ½ engine symbol came up mostly when the engine was cold – if the engine had a chance to warm up, the next time it started the lights would go away. I cleaned the VANOS, changed my oil and it was perfect. Drove around that day and then after driving all day, the ½ engine symbol appeared without the SES light. I took it to Autozone re-pull the code but when I restarted the car, there were no lights. The Autozone by me will not pull a code unless the SES light is on. I drove car for about a month (only short distances and never really getting it to its full operating temp) with no ½ engine symbol or SES light. The other night the car got to operating temp and the lights came back. The SES light has reset before I could take it to Autozone to get a read.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I don’t want to take it to a mechanic because it’s got to be the VANOS solenoid or the camshaft position sensor (“CPS”) (I’m doubtful it’s the CPS since the car starts up fine and isn’t hesitating). I did switch the VANOS solenoids after I cleaned them to see if I would get a different code and rather than coming up when the car is cold it’s coming when it’s hot but I’m not sure what, if anything this means.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking of just changine the VANOS solenoids but wanted some other people who may have had this problem to chime in....

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

You need to figure out some way to get the BMW specific codes written. Even when the light is off, they are stored and you can start your troubleshooting. It very well could be the VANOS solenoids. If you want to stay with your AutoZone code reader then you should switch your solenoids positions. They are identical. I you get another code with "camshaft position sensor" but with a different bank or A instead of B then you know it is a VANOS problem and you can replace the defective one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
gtvr6_99
Rep

I did swtich the around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk36 View Post
You need to figure out some way to get the BMW specific codes written. Even when the light is off, they are stored and you can start your troubleshooting. It very well could be the VANOS solenoids. If you want to stay with your AutoZone code reader then you should switch your solenoids positions. They are identical. I you get another code with "camshaft position sensor" but with a different bank or A instead of B then you know it is a VANOS problem and you can replace the defective one.
Thanks for your help. I did switch the solenoids after I cleaned them, I was hoping if the SES light came back to have Autozone read the code but of course, the light went out and they won't read it. I could try to have them put the reader to the car to see what's stored but they usually don't bother unless there's a light....the fact that it's freezing in NYC now isn't going to help my cause. Do you recommend a code reader? I have a Bavarian Auto Sport one from my old 330Ci but it doesn't work on my E90.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #4
gtvr6_99
Rep

1/2 Engine light came back

Driven the car all weekend, long drives, short drives, all different styles and no light no issues. Driving to the train station this morning, turn a corner, step on the gas and boom - 1/2 engine light. Park the car, shut it down, turn it back on, no light, no SES?? WTF is going on?? My fuel economy is pretty bad and it feels like it is hesitating a bit (could be my imagination).

Bad Coil Pack?
Plugs?
Vanos Solenoid?
Camshaft Position Sensor??

Can anyone recommend a code reader? If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks again,

jt
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

get bmwhat app for andorid or ios and get a dongle (bluetooth or wifi) and you will be able to get all the codes as well as reset them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
gtvr6_99
Rep

Thanks for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
get bmwhat app for andorid or ios and get a dongle (bluetooth or wifi) and you will be able to get all the codes as well as reset them.
Just ordered a ELM327 WiFi Wireless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner that hopefully works with my Iphone. I'll post updates when I have some.

Thanks again.

jt
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

Mine had the same thing pulled codes it was vanos solenoids
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
gtvr6_99
Rep

I think its the Solenoids too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground6t9 View Post
Mine had the same thing pulled codes it was vanos solenoids
Thanks for input - I have a feeling it's the Vanos solenoid too - I've ordered a wifi dongle so I could pull some codes on my car. I might use this as an excuse to do a couple of maintenance items to my car, like my plugs.

Forgive me if I’m asking a stupid question, do you need to replace the coils after a certain point or just when they go bad…I’ve read different things and if one went bad, I’d probably change them all out but I have an ’07 335i with 60,000 miles….is this something that should be on my radar?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0