E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Big brake look?

01-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
ToastOfTenacity
Nurburgring Nate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Big brake look?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

I absolutely love the look of big brake kits, because of the calipers. I've always thought that calipers should be a very visual and colorful part of the car, and the ones on my '08 335i are just dull. I should have new rims coming in next week, and with my full blackout complete, I'd like to do something about the calipers.

Being a college student, I'm not in the best of financial situations. I'm not broke by any means, but I can't really afford to drop 2+ grand on a brake kit at the moment. To be honest, that's not something I can ever really see myself buying, as the stock brakes are actually really good.

I love the look and would love to have it on my car. Is there any way I could buy colored calipers by themselves? I've seen painted calipers, and while they do look good for the first few months, I've also seen old painted calipers, and they look god awful.

I want a big brake look without paying for a full kit. Rotors are not important to me, just the calipers.

Thanks for your help!

2008 335i Sport Package
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
troy2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i m sport

Do your brakes "properly" with a paint kit. Why you see them looking god awful is because people spray they're brakes with the cleaner, let it dry, then paint. Clean the calipers thoroughly even if that requires removing them worst case scenario. Prep is everything, for all paint, weather auto body panel, calipers or even home. I've painted wheels, brakes, interior trim and even car panels amaturely for years and prep is key brotha.

Oh by the way wrong section, it'll be moved I'm sure.

Last edited by troy2003; 01-16-2015 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
ToastOfTenacity
Nurburgring Nate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2003 View Post
Do your brakes "properly" with a paint kit. Why you see them looking god awful is because people spray they're brakes with the cleaner, let it dry, then paint. Clean the calipers thoroughly even if that requires removing them worst case scenario. Prep is everything, for all paint, weather auto body panel, calipers or even home. I've painted wheels, brakes, interior trim and even car panels amaturely for years and prep is key brotha.

Oh by the way wrong section, it'll be moved I'm sure.
Thanks man! I'll probably wait to give it a shot until it warms up a little more here.

Thanks for the advice on the section too. I'll keep it in mind next time.

2008 335i Sport Package
Appreciate 0