E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Steering issue after hitting pot hole. E93 LCI

01-18-2015, 06:23 AM   #1
Ryanrs
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 325d msport

Steering issue after hitting pot hole. E93 LCI

Hi, Recently I had my wheel alignment set up using a 4 wheel alignment machine. The wheels were out of alignment slightly , correcting them was enough to make a difference in the way it drives (for the better) but nothing to indicate a problem.

Anyway, a few weeks later I hit a pot hole HARD! it was a crater with an Iron manhole sticking up in the middle. Dont ask why i didnt avoid it, it was impossible if you see the situation. Anyways, both front and rear nearside wheels hit it and my rear wheel (19" 313) died. non repairable.

I have replaced the wheel and tyre but now my steering feels odd. the car feels like its 'center' wonders. one min the car will be pulling to the left, then to the right, almost as if a lower arm rubber has play or the balljoint is shot etc. i may go into a right hand bend with the car pulling left then mid turn it will 'Fall into' the turn and ill come out with the steering either heading straight or slightly pulling right. Whatever tho it certainly pulls left worse than right.

There is a difference in tread size on the tyres as the replacement wheel has a near new tyre whereas the offside wheel is probably 1/2 way through its life.

I got the tracking checked at the same place again and have a print out. They tried telling me that if they do the tracking (at a cost of £100!!) then the car will be fine, but tbh i know a fair amount about cars and mechanics and going by the way it drives it wouldnt surprise me if pulling off the tracking machine, driving round the block and driving back on would give a totally different reading again.

Can anyone advise what the issue may be, what i need to check and replace? Dont get me wrong, its not extreme pulling, it just feels 'loose'.

Heres the latest alignment printout
Appreciate 0