BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question e92 M3 Suspension Decision

as all of you guys know the e92 m3 price list has been released with the other minors such as comfort access, etc predicted to be around same price as the current e92s (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107324).

the edc suspension is $1000. if one were not to get edc is it still the same suspension minus the ability to control the levels? what would happen if one were to get aftermarket suspension? would companies offer new kits that work with edc or will we have to plug and hide the wires that control the edc.

the easy answer would be if you know your going to get aftermarket suspension don't get edc, but you never know.

your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
If you are going to get EDC the most you should ever do is change springs. If you plan on adding coilovers later, I would say dont spend the money on EDC.

I have EDC on my M5 and I love it. Will never change a thing
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
If you are going to get EDC the most you should ever do is change springs. If you plan on adding coilovers later, I would say dont spend the money on EDC.

I have EDC on my M5 and I love it. Will never change a thing
changing springs your still able to use edc?

PS: would you happen to know if the new m3 will have the power option like your m5 using 400 hp instead of full 500?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

EDC has nothing to do with the springs, which is why changing springs out won't effect how it functions. EDC simply uses a type of shock that has varying levels of pressurized oil inside. Which results in variety of dampening.
      01-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
EDC has nothing to do with the springs, which is why changing springs out won't effect how it functions. EDC simply uses a type of shock that has varying levels of pressurized oil inside. Which results in variety of dampening.
ah i see. thank you. so we can install kwv2/3 lets say?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

If your going to lower your car via springs, make sure you don't go over around an inch difference. While the springs are meant for it you'll bottom out your shocks and cause yourself some headache.
      01-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
///MML
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

my thoughts

What to do about the m3 suspension set-up?

First up: BMW continues to make the standard suspension too soft, set-up with too much unsprung weight that creates an ugly wheel gap and too high a center of gravity. I think the EDC will help "tighten up" the car compared to an e46 m3 but still has about 2-3 inch of gap in the front (terrible).

What to do? I see three options:

1) Aftermarket coilover: Do not order EDC or the technology package (EDC part of) if you do this.

PROS: You will be able to dial in the height and damping (ex PSS9 or K2) to your liking. I have a Pss9 on my e46 m3 and it is amazing. Totally transformed the cars' handing and ride height looks a lot better.
CONS: BMW suspension warranty void, resale value?, No Mdrive option (tech pack).
COST: ~$3000 for kit and installation/corner balance. But you save ~$1000 with no EDC so net $2000 out of pocket.

2) Order EDC + new springs: If the cars height appears ok to you then I would definitely go this route. Although EDC will never match a coliover it should be a step-up from stock.

PROS: Firmer suspension option, no warranty issues.
CONS: No height adjustment. Limited aftermarket options. Springs may not get the exact height your looking for. Jury is out on the long term impact of changing the springs.
COST: ~$2000 EDC + new springs/installation. ~$4000 additional to potentially replace shocks/EDC sensors over the long term.

3) Stock suspension (NO EDC): Just change springs.

PROS: Firmer suspension, lower height.
CONS: BMW suspension warranty void, resale value?, May not get the exact height your looking for. No damping adjustment. Jury is out on the long term impact of changing the springs.
COST: ~$1000 spring/installation. ~$2000 additional to potentially replace shocks over the long term.

As for me I'm going with coilover but if you don't go coilover I think EDC is a must have. The lack of the Mdrive (in tech pack) will suck but the the car needs to be lowered for the couple reasons already stated. Just adding new springs is a half-assed idea (you spent $60k so set it up right).

There you have it. Good luck......
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Don't forget about the adaptive feature...

It seems that a lot of people overlook the combined advantages of EDC, especially with the adaptive capability, something current coilover systems cannot compete with.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0