F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 8AT sport / paddles question
proTUNING Freaks

01-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 435GC rwd

8AT sport / paddles question

I think I've got most of the 8AT sport transmission logic down. I know what the Sport to Sport+ selections do. I also know that versus the difference of pushing the gear lever to the left M/S position. (there is tons of misinformation by the way...)

My question is when I'm in Manual mode and using the paddles ... is there a way to go into Sport Auto mode without my hands leaving the wheel? or do I have to flip the gear lever to the right (to disable paddles) and then back to the left (to activate Sport Auto)?

Sometimes I'm in spirited driving with the paddles, and then either the nature of the road or traffic or both changes and I want to instantly switch to Sport Auto. maybe I'm missing something simple & obvious.

I have not read the manual yet, just thought i'd ask here.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
gotta move the stick right (reverts to auto) then left (sport auto) [use paddles or up/down on stick to revert to manual]

The entire process takes a second or less.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

yeah quite irritating this... in the range rovers, you hold the paddle up (+) for a couple of seconds, and it reverts to normal D/DS from manual/paddle shift mode... much more elegant solution
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #4
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
yeah quite irritating this... in the range rovers, you hold the paddle up (+) for a couple of seconds, and it reverts to normal D/DS from manual/paddle shift mode... much more elegant solution
Like that in Cadillac too, and Chrysler does the same thing with the stick. Pretty sure my 540 was the same way back in the early 2000's with the stick. Hold it in + and it goes back to auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #5
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
That's similar to how it's meant to work in our cars too, but for some reason it doesn't. I posted about it here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1068159
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
That's similar to how it's meant to work in our cars too, but for some reason it doesn't. I posted about it here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1068159
interesting. i'll read my manual and play around with some of the prolonged paddle pulls and see what happens.

flipping the gear lever to the right and then back to the left is such a clumsy method. i don't care if it takes a second, .. it's dumb, requires my hand leave the wheel, and shouldn't be necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanSTL
Quote:
interesting. i'll read my manual and play around with some of the prolonged paddle pulls and see what happens.

flipping the gear lever to the right and then back to the left is such a clumsy method. i don't care if it takes a second, .. it's dumb, requires my hand leave the wheel, and shouldn't be necessary.
It is quicker than a long hold of the paddle lever. Personally I prefer it the way it is.
      01-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

I'd like it best if it was like Ferrari and pulling both stalks put it in neutral. Since for whatever reason, BMW chose not to put a holder on these cars (why the hell not?), it would make life easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanSTL View Post

I agree. If it is indeed in the manual, we should take our cars into BMW and get them to log a fault/PUMA case or something on the system so an official investigation can be made and so something can be done about it in a future software update.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

A bit annoying, but I've learned to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #11
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:
I think I've got most of the 8AT sport transmission logic down. I know what the Sport to Sport+ selections do. I also know that versus the difference of pushing the gear lever to the left M/S position. (there is tons of misinformation by the way...)

My question is when I'm in Manual mode and using the paddles ... is there a way to go into Sport Auto mode without my hands leaving the wheel? or do I have to flip the gear lever to the right (to disable paddles) and then back to the left (to activate Sport Auto)?

Sometimes I'm in spirited driving with the paddles, and then either the nature of the road or traffic or both changes and I want to instantly switch to Sport Auto. maybe I'm missing something simple & obvious.

I have not read the manual yet, just thought i'd ask here.
To my knowledge, no. You must flip the gear lever back to right then back to left. Quick process. It is a smart and intuitive process if you think about it. Also, this sport auto is one of the only ones that let u hold the gears in manual mode and doesn't upshift automatically. This is excellent. Much closer to a manual trans than other automatics. Other cars just shift up for u.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #12
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

Question...has you ever driven a manual trans? One of your hands has to shift, so both hands will not be on the wheel at all times. Its ok. Not a problem. Lets not get lazy.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #13
ryanSTL
First Lieutenant
Rep

yes, I've driven and owned multiple manual cars. They're now significantly slower to shift than autos and, relative to paddles, require an inordinate amount of hand and foot movement.

If you like all that, great. I don't hate it. It is what it is.
It definitely sucks in commuting & traffic.

my car is a quick shifting auto and I prefer paddle functionality.
it has nothing to do with laziness
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #14
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
yes, I've driven and owned multiple manual cars. They're now significantly slower to shift than autos and, relative to paddles, require an inordinate amount of hand and foot movement.

Well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 12:30 AM   #15
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

you can leave it in D and use the paddles.
but after i think 5 - 10 seconds if you dont use + or - it will revert to D
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

+1

This is my first auto, all cars owned since 1980 have been manuals of varies types of stick.

The 8AT is an excellent box, gives pretty much best of both worlds.

Taking your hand of the stick for a whole second is nothing major (think of all other times while driving any car how often you have a hand off the wheel).

Also remember you can still use the stick (fwd and back) for fear changes, handy if you mess up changes with paddles on a bend and paddles are out of position, just use the gearstick.

Also while driving for a while in town / city in traffic, then you hit clear motorway, briefly move the stick to the left to clear its driving memory (it will be in slow traffic mode and will not be quick at changing) it sort of wakes the gearbox up.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:05 AM   #17
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
I agree. If it is indeed in the manual, we should take our cars into BMW and get them to log a fault/PUMA case or something on the system so an official investigation can be made and so something can be done about it in a future software update.
Indeed, has anyone else confirmed/replicated what I noticed or can other people get it to work?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2015, 04:17 AM   #18
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
you can leave it in D and use the paddles.
but after i think 5 - 10 seconds if you dont use + or - it will revert to D
Yes, with one exception.
If you're going downhill, and downshift it won't go back to D, until the car is no longer engine braking.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0