E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > torsion strut arm same as rear control arm?? Got the vibration syndrome :(

01-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
camil212
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

torsion strut arm same as rear control arm?? Got the vibration syndrome :(

Front suspension parts description can be a little confusing. if anyone w/ knowledge about suspension part can help.
torsion strut arms = rear control arms?
[ 5 ] FRONT SUSPENSION / FRONT SUSPENSION / SUSPENSION COMPONENTS / Rear cntl arm
Part Number: 31126768983

Took my car to STS for aligment and balance due to vibration above 70mph and left pulling and something clings while driving on uneven roads/pothholes. They said it needs "new torsion strut arms" before an alignment can get done. (I had tires unmounted for patching so I figured I need it to balance too)

So far changed:
1-front disc/pads (that solved the earthquake like shaking during braking, very happy with that

2- lower control arm (car felt better and tighter, but vibration still there on the highway above 70mph )

I'm looking at tie rod ends and rear control arms then alignment and balance hope that's enough expense to have a smooth ride again.

(2010 e90 xdrive LCI)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Bentley2012
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335I 6MT

Im having very similar issues and have yet to get it resolved. Def subd to see what your results are.
// '07 / e90 / 335i / 6MT / BMS DCI / Cyba Scoops / JB4 G4 / CDV Delete / M3 upper + lower control arm upgrade / Alufelgen CS7 19x8.5F 19x9.5R /10mm F 20MM R spacers / 20% tint (windows + tails) / bavauto shift nob / matte kidney's //
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #3
camil212
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

update: I spent quite some cash to have the car running smooth so far it's about 98% I would say. after the following:

1st- new front lower control arms ( only improvement was that car really felt tighter right away, was nice feeling and pleasure to drive). But after 60mph highway and braking vibrations persisted

2nd New front discs/pads (this rid off vibration during braking and slowing down from highway speeds almost completely) highway speed vibration persisted.

3rd tire balance and alignment (the car now drive smooth at highway speeds and braking) with a slight vibration and sometimes i think i'm just paranoid and should stop thinking about it.

4th (plans) this spring i'm overhauling the rest of the suspension with:
-new tightrod ends
-tension thrust arm w/ new bushing and balljoints
-getting rid of run flat tires and getting a spare tire
-adding 193 style sport wheels and new balanced non run flat tires

Car should feel like new 100% after this hopefully .
Appreciate 0