Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
JLBADBTAB
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6

Major Engine Issues

I have a M4 (July build) with 1800 miles. I've had to take the car back to the dealer on two (2) different occasions over the last couple of months because the engine warning lamp (dash) flashed on. After inspection/diagnosis, turbo hoses were found not to be connected properly since the engine was throwing off "fuel mixture/lean fuel" error codes. Repairing the hose connections was not a big deal so I really was not concerned, although I did wonder. Approximately, 3.5 weeks ago (December time frame) the engine warning lamp flashed on again so I took the car back to the dearer for the "third time". The shop foreman took control of the diagnostics/analysis. Since both hoses were not connected properly on my two (2) previous visits to the dealer for this issue I suspected that the hoses had become disconnected again. However, the shop foreman found both hoses were properly connected so they contacted BMW Technical Services. BMW suggested a software update. I should point out that the M4 has felt "sluggish" even when the engine warning lamp was not illuminated but I attributed that to break-in, obviously a poor assumption on my part. Well, the software update DID NOT fix the issue and the local dealer (shop foreman) requested that the BMW Regional Field Service Engineer inspect my M4, ASAP. After considerable inspection/diagnostics and troubleshooting a "gas test" was performed on the engine and a defective "turbo inlet pipe hose" was diagnosed to be the issue. There was only one (1) part located in the US (Houston), however it was "special ordered" for a customer so I am guessing there is another M4 with some similar issues to mine. The part was shipped from Germany and arrived on 1/15/15. After installing the new part, the engine is still throwing off "lean fuel/fuel mixture" fault codes. BMW Technical Services now thinks that we may need to replace the cylinder head however the Shop Foreman is still trying to confirm next steps with BMW Technical Services. So, three (3) weeks have elapsed and NO RESOLUTION....I'm still without by M4! I've owned several M3's (E30, E36 and E92) together with a few M5/M6 (F10) so I am a stronger supporter of the BMW brand BUT I am really concerned, frustrated and angry! Just sharing this post to keep folks informed. Hopefully, these issues have been addressed with later builds. I should point out that the local dealer has been great....they've been proactive and keep have kept me informed. Both service and the sales manager have stay involved from the beginning. However, I'm still "Sleepless In Seattle"!
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I'm sorry to hear this buddy. Even with the best controlled manufacturing process, defects are not 100% avoidable. Cell phones / laptops / etc all have a failure rating. Laptops industry average failure rate is 18%, that means 18 or 100 laptop sold will go in for warranty per year. BMW is actually much better, considering how many moving parts and electronics it has. For those think Audi is more reliable, think again. Report below. (1 in 27 engine fails vs 1 in 45)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ty-survey.html

Engine reliability - bottom 10 brands according to Warranty Direct
1. MG Rover (failure rate: 1 in 13)
2. Audi (failure rate: 1 in 27)
3. Mini (failure rate: 1 in 40)
4. Saab (failure rate: 1 in 40)
5. Vauxhall (failure rate: 1 in 41)
6. Peugeot (failure rate: 1 in 44)
7. BMW (failure rate: 1 in 45)
8. Renault (failure rate: 1 in 46)
9. Volkswagen (failure rate: 1 in 52)
10. Mitsubishi (failure rate: 1 in 59)

I would document every single incident (photos, emails, etc.). Add up the days you're without your car and time spent away from work, then escalate it to the GM. You deserve a nice payment from either the dealer or BMW America. I know money cannot be made up for the time and frustration, but BMW will do the right thing.

I went through this with a plagued X5 that died on me twice, the the main gasket had to be replaced twice. I was in and out of the dealer every week for 2 months. BMW did the right thing and didn't lose a customer like me, who bought 6 cars in 5 yrs.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
AYTifosi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW F82 M4  [10.00]
Any updates on your car?
      02-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
JLBADBTAB
Rep

Major Engine Issues

Brief update on my M4.....BMW will be replacing the cylinder head and all three (3) fuel pumps. Parts are due to land in USA late next week (Feb 5th). Hopefully, these fixes will address the issue.....if not I will be ordering a new M4. BTW, I have not received much information from the BMW technical folks in Germany, by way of BMWNA as to why they believe replacing the cylinder head will address the issue. Relative to the fuel pumps, I pressed to have these changed out since we've seen issues previously which either caused the fault code or resulted in sluggish engine performance. What I have learned from BMW is that this problem (lean mixture fault codes) has occurred before with certain builds in the July time frame. The local dealer has been great to work with and fully understands that a new car will be ordered (exactly the same as my current car with all the M Performance exterior and interior mods) if I experience any engine issues going forward. So, we will see what develops over the next couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBADBTAB View Post
Brief update on my M4.....BMW will be replacing the cylinder head and all three (3) fuel pumps. Parts are due to land in USA late next week (Feb 5th). Hopefully, these fixes will address the issue.....if not I will be ordering a new M4. BTW, I have not received much information from the BMW technical folks in Germany, by way of BMWNA as to why they believe replacing the cylinder head will address the issue. Relative to the fuel pumps, I pressed to have these changed out since we've seen issues previously which either caused the fault code or resulted in sluggish engine performance. What I have learned from BMW is that this problem (lean mixture fault codes) has occurred before with certain builds in the July time frame. The local dealer has been great to work with and fully understands that a new car will be ordered (exactly the same as my current car with all the M Performance exterior and interior mods) if I experience any engine issues going forward. So, we will see what develops over the next couple of weeks.
Man, hate reading these kinda posts - mine (M4 Vert) was a July build also but have nearly 4000 miles without incident so guessing I am not soon to be in the same camp - bloody well hope not!! Really disappointing experience for you even with all the goodwill you received from the dealership. Hope it all works out asap - you are a patient man but pretty much all you can be in this situation.
      02-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

OP is in a win win situation, warranty is covering the problem, and your dealership is willing to work with you to order a new car if the problem continues. Sounds like the ideal resolution, even if the initial problem is upsetting.

Hope it all works out
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBADBTAB View Post
My car is a July build and did throw these lean mixture codes frequently but now it has stopped. You make me a bit concerned with needing an engine re-build and now a potential buy out... I'll definately bring it in should it occur again.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Do you have any more updates? I'm also a July build creeping up on 5k miles. haven't had any problems whatsoever besides alignment, Burt this also concerns me. have they told you what specifically is causing the problem and why? Hope it all works out, keep us updated thanks

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep

I had the CEL for 4 days again and booked an appointment but couldn't get in until next week and now it's ckeared. I'll still go and see if the code is stored for them to pull. No noticeable impact on anything when it's on though. Similar to when it comes on for bad O2 sensor, I.e you can't notice any difference in the engine performance or how it runs.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #10
solstice
Major General
Rep

The teach. found the same fault codes again, i.e lean fuel mixture. I'm in a loaner now since they need to contact BMW and run some additional diagnostics which can take a couple of days. Not too worried yet since the car runs perfectly. Likely a sensor issue but who knows...

Last edited by solstice; 02-16-2015 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
solstice
Major General
Rep

They smoke tested intake and exhaust and found no leaks. A PUMA case was opened with BMW who ran further diagnostics and the re-programmed the car ( in this case another word for SW update I assume ). Got the car back after 3 days, all my settings were gone but otherwise so far so good.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
JLBADBTAB
Rep

Major Engine Issues

Glad you've got your car back and all is well. The codes have cleared and the smoke test did not indicate any leaks. Your fortunate. My car should be ready on Saturday or Monday. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
lgk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

New TSB on regarding this issue

According to BMWTECHINFO (which anyone can get on with a paid membership) there is a Feb. 2015 TSB on this specific issue. There is a sensitivity issue with the sensor and it appears the cure is a new sensor or a software update, or both

Last edited by lgk; 02-19-2015 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 03:42 AM   #14
funk74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
According to BMWTECHINFO (which anyone can get on with a paid membership) there is a Feb. 2015 TSB on this specific issue. There is a sensitivity issue with the sensor and it appears the cure is a new sensor or a software update, or both
Subscription Rates
1-Day (24 hour) Subscription: $30
1-Month (30-days) Subscription: $250
1-Year Subscription: $2500

sounds like a lot to access the site.

are you able to download the repair manual for the f8x cars?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #15
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk74 View Post
Subscription Rates
1-Day (24 hour) Subscription: $30
1-Month (30-days) Subscription: $250
1-Year Subscription: $2500

sounds like a lot to access the site.

are you able to download the repair manual for the f8x cars?
Yes... I need TQ specs for my suspension DIY.
Appreciate 0