E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Performance Modding 101

01-18-2008, 12:56 AM   #1
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Da Twin Turbo Coupe

Performance Modding 101

I don't know how many of us in the General Induction Forums there are that are experts, there are definately quite a few and also all the way at the top, the professionals themselves. However I notice alot that many are like me newbie's that are asking for meanings of abbreviations and generally some very elemntary questions to the more knowledgable ones and the experts. However the great thing is the welcoming and patient sharing of information from everyone that knows anything, even if u just learned it in the last thread that u read. Well its this that gives me confidence to ask about the A B Cs of this General Induction forum, for us that are new and eager about this world and that are a bit confused about basics, but i'm sure by the end of this thread alot of experts will learn also or at least discover differnent points of view.
Also a share of views on different products that people have experienced and their prices, specs, advantages and disadvantages would be enlighting if done in a positive way without any bashing or x vendor vs y vendor's products comments.

I have the main modding component "I think" which is the tune (piggy-back) which I think most people in this forum have or are thinking of getting.
I have a V2 Vishnu kit, and everything else is stock except my Michelin PS2 tires instead of the potenza runflats.

I want my car to perform better

Where do I go from here?

What are the other mods available and what is the PRIORITY of IMPORTANCE from a better performance point of view?

Is an exhuaust more important or the intake?

OK Here we go, Im gonna shoot

Here are the list of Mods I found:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90706

1) How would you rank those interms of priority for better performance i.e. Which one should one get first provided the financial are covered, and then which....
2) What are the advantages and dis-advantages of a downpipe, vs stock cats, vs High Flow Catted pipes (HFCP), in terms of extra power, sound, smell, and what does each one do to increase the performance?
3) When they refer to downpipes and HFCP r they refering only to replacing the secondary cats or the primary ones too?
4) What is the difference between a full exhaust system and the above (q3) in general and in terms of performance, sound, smell.....and how does each increase the power and why choose one over the other?
5) What is the benefit of the Front mounted Intercooler to the performance, does it keep the air cool so the car can run in any temperature maintining its performance as if it was a cold day? Does it however directly add power. How? How significant is it in comparison with other mods?
6)What is the benefit of Cold Air Intake to the performance? How does it do it? What is the difference between it and a drop in air filter in terms of performance and what are the adv and disadv of each?
7)What is the difference between coilover, springs and swaybars and how does each help in terms of performance and what are the adv and disadv of each? Comfort? Rigidness?....
8) Does the Blow off valve actually affect performance or is it just a sound mod?
9) Finally, rank which each mod in terms of priority of enhancing performance on your car - in which form - and if u wish for which vendor. As such:

- Exhaust system/Downpipes/ High Flow Cats
(3)-HFC- Ultimate racing catless pipes

- Chip Tuning/Piggy Back
(1)-piggy back-Procede V2

- Front Mounted Intercooler
(4) Active Autowerks FMIC

- Blow off Valves
(6)-Active Autowerke BOV Kit

- Coilovers/Swaybars/Springs
(5)-Coilovers-H&R Street Perfomance Coilover System

- Intake Systems/Filters
(2)-Filter-K&N Filter

Keep it clean please so that its useful.

Thank you

G
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i black/red View Post
I don't know how many of us in the General Induction Forums there are that are experts, there are definately quite a few and also all the way at the top, the professionals themselves. However I notice alot that many are like me newbie's that are asking for meanings of abbreviations and generally some very elemntary questions to the more knowledgable ones and the experts. However the great thing is the welcoming and patient sharing of information from everyone that knows anything, even if u just learned it in the last thread that u read. Well its this that gives me confidence to ask about the A B Cs of this General Induction forum, for us that are new and eager about this world and that are a bit confused about basics, but i'm sure by the end of this thread alot of experts will learn also or at least discover differnent points of view.
Also a share of views on different products that people have experienced and their prices, specs, advantages and disadvantages would be enlighting if done in a positive way without any bashing or x vendor vs y vendor's products comments.

I have the main modding component "I think" which is the tune (piggy-back) which I think most people in this forum have or are thinking of getting.
I have a V2 Vishnu kit, and everything else is stock except my Michelin PS2 tires instead of the potenza runflats.

Where do I go from here?

What are the other mods available and what is the PRIORITY of IMPORTANCE from a better performance point of view?

1) How would you rank those interms of priority for better performance i.e. Which one should one get first provided the financial are covered, and then which....
2) What are the advantages and dis-advantages of a downpipe, vs stock cats, vs High Flow Catted pipes (HFCP), in terms of extra power, sound, smell, and what does each one do to increase the performance?
3) When they refer to downpipes and HFCP r they refering only to replacing the secondary cats or the primary ones too?
4) What is the difference between a full exhaust system and the above (q3) in general and in terms of performance, sound, smell.....and how does each increase the power and why choose one over the other?
5) What is the benefit of the Front mounted Intercooler to the performance, does it keep the air cool so the car can run in any temperature maintining its performance as if it was a cold day? Does it however directly add power. How? How significant is it in comparison with other mods?
6)What is the benefit of Cold Air Intake to the performance? How does it do it? What is the difference between it and a drop in air filter in terms of performance and what are the adv and disadv of each?
7)What is the difference between coilover, springs and swaybars and how does each help in terms of performance and what are the adv and disadv of each? Comfort? Rigidness?....
8) Does the Blow off valve actually affect performance or is it just a sound mod?
9) Finally, rank which each mod in terms of priority of enhancing performance on your car - in which form - and if u wish for which vendor. As such:

- Chip Tuning/Piggy Back

- Blow off Valves

- Intake Systems/Filters
(2)-Filter-K&N Filter

Thank you

G

Ok. Since you have V2, you should know that intake > exhaust. Shiv stated the weak point of the motor is in getting air. Those tiny little vents in the front really choke up the performance of the car. My recommendation? Wait for either Logic Motorsports intake or get an MSDS stage 2 intake. The MSDS intake comes in 2 parts, but in total it costs $600. A better filter will help, but if you are truely looking for the best performance of the car, then I would go with a true CAI.

Next, I would either go with downpipes and exhaust or a type of cooling modification. I would say go with Riss Racing or Ultimate Racing catless downpipes for the BEST performance. When you get these and put them on an otherwise stock exhaust, the rasp will increase a tiny bit and it will smell a little. If you go with a completely catless system, the rasp will be very pronounced in the 2.5 - 3k RPMs. It will also smell. But a fully catless system is ideal in terms of performance. HFC means High Flow Catted downpipes, which will still be a bit raspy and smell a little more than stock. It will net you a gain across the board compared to stock, but compared to catless it will shy away in the higher RPMs.

The next would be either meth injection or a front mount intercooler upgrade. Meth injection is rather cheaper, but it should be situated so that it only injects at a certain PSI and then shuts off at a certain PSI. This will also increase the octane of gas, AND will not cause a drop in pressure. A FMIC upgrade will be cooler than stock all the time, bu will cause a drop in pressure and w/ V2 shiv has not factored in a FMIC upgrade, yet.

GTG to school, if someone hasn't helped you by the time I get back, just shoot me a PM or I will try and post here. Good luck.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ok, back from school. Here it goes.

When anyone mentions anything about cats and downpipes, then they mean the primary catalytic converters which are located on the downpipes. The secondary cats are in your exhaust, after the X pipe. Just look for larger cylinder shaped canisters on the exhaust about right under where your rear passengers would sit.

Intercoolers add a little power, between 10 and 20 whp, depending on which company, and how great the flow is. Keep in mind pressue will drop though and may make messing with v2 a little more of a hassle until shiv tunes the PROcede for FMIC upgrade.

As far as BOV...the N54 uses diverter valves instead of BOVs, so many stay in line with the way a stock system is supposed to be. They usually go wth Forge DVs. BOVs are mainly for the noise. Performance is rumored to drop as the N54 system was designed to recycle air pressure, and after the BOV, the system would have to build that pressure up again.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
slick101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
thank you 335 black/red for bringing such a topic up... i am also a newbie to tunning...i won't be doing any of this stuff sicne i leased it but i would love to know the basics.... and thank you very much rideelememnt247 for all the information...i've been in this forum since jan and have logged on every single day to check out the updates... gr8 forum.....
      01-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick101 View Post
thank you 335 black/red for bringing such a topic up... i am also a newbie to tunning...i won't be doing any of this stuff sicne i leased it but i would love to know the basics.... and thank you very much rideelememnt247 for all the information...i've been in this forum since jan and have logged on every single day to check out the updates... gr8 forum.....
NP guys . Just trying to help.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Ok. Since you have V2, you should know that intake > exhaust. Shiv stated the weak point of the motor is in getting air. Those tiny little vents in the front really choke up the performance of the car. My recommendation? Wait for either Logic Motorsports intake or get an MSDS stage 2 intake. The MSDS intake comes in 2 parts, but in total it costs $600. A better filter will help, but if you are truely looking for the best performance of the car, then I would go with a true CAI.

Next, I would either go with downpipes and exhaust or a type of cooling modification. I would say go with Riss Racing or Ultimate Racing catless downpipes for the BEST performance. When you get these and put them on an otherwise stock exhaust, the rasp will increase a tiny bit and it will smell a little. If you go with a completely catless system, the rasp will be very pronounced in the 2.5 - 3k RPMs. It will also smell. But a fully catless system is ideal in terms of performance. HFC means High Flow Catted downpipes, which will still be a bit raspy and smell a little more than stock. It will net you a gain across the board compared to stock, but compared to catless it will shy away in the higher RPMs.

The next would be either meth injection or a front mount intercooler upgrade. Meth injection is rather cheaper, but it should be situated so that it only injects at a certain PSI and then shuts off at a certain PSI. This will also increase the octane of gas, AND will not cause a drop in pressure. A FMIC upgrade will be cooler than stock all the time, bu will cause a drop in pressure and w/ V2 shiv has not factored in a FMIC upgrade, yet.

GTG to school, if someone hasn't helped you by the time I get back, just shoot me a PM or I will try and post here. Good luck.
Man,
Ur a star, I'm kind of dissapointed that only one person responded to this effort to enlight, I was under the impression that knowledge accompanies humbelness, as the flow of knowledge can only be from above to below like a waterfall, and that the knowledgeable have become so by being humble to ask and therefore will be also be humble enough to share knowledge. Its kind of ironic that not only do u have tons of posts but u cut ur thread to go to school, it kind of proves my point.
Well thats that...lets get down back to the strategy:
- Are there disadvantages to the intake in general or the MSDS intake specifically?
- So what u r saying is if I want better performance but not too much rasp and smell, I should go with catted dps on the stock exhaust and that is 2nd best to a fully catless system? Would that be better than the stock cats and an einsman exhaust for instance?
- Do u have reccomendations for meth injection, does it affect anything else in the car negatively? Is it plug & play or a complicated install?
- What r ur views in terms of LSD and its affect on better drag times?
- What r views for coilovers, springs do u need both or coilovers are enough? Will the ride be rough? How r they adjustable?
- Does the intercooler keep the car's performance constant in winter and summer or nearly constant or is it the intake that does that?
- Finally what mods do u have?

I apologize for late replys but I'm from a different timezone.

Thanks again for ur time, and great spirit.

I had a porsche ad on my wall when I was 10, I'll never forget it, It had the pic of the back of a 911 with its twin exhuasts and its skid marks left behind as the car was peeling around the corner and it said "There are leaders, and there are followers" life is quite simple isn't it?"

N.B. for those others that are reading this "watch out for ego attack" don't let it beat u.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick101 View Post
Yep he is a cool cat isn't he.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

How about a LSD? Get that powah to the ground!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
How about a LSD? Get that powah to the ground!
Will LSD generate more wheelpin or less at at take-off, with the V2 I seem to have mastered one of the best take-offs vs. many other cars that supposedly have a faster 0-60? and most of them have LSD
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #10
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man,
Ur a star, I'm kind of dissapointed that only one person responded to this effort to enlight, I was under the impression that knowledge accompanies humbelness, as the flow of knowledge can only be from above to below like a waterfall, and that the knowledgeable have become so by being humble to ask and therefore will be also be humble enough to share knowledge. Its kind of ironic that not only do u have tons of posts but u cut ur thread to go to school, it kind of proves my point.
Well thats that...lets get down back to the strategy:
- Are there disadvantages to the intake in general or the MSDS intake specifically?
- So what u r saying is if I want better performance but not too much rasp and smell, I should go with catted dps on the stock exhaust and that is 2nd best to a fully catless system? Would that be better than the stock cats and an einsman exhaust for instance?
- Do u have reccomendations for meth injection, does it affect anything else in the car negatively? Is it plug & play or a complicated install?
- What r ur views in terms of LSD and its affect on better drag times?
- What r views for coilovers, springs do u need both or coilovers are enough? Will the ride be rough? How r they adjustable?
- Does the intercooler keep the car's performance constant in winter and summer or nearly constant or is it the intake that does that?
- Finally what mods do u have?

I apologize for late replys but I'm from a different timezone.

Thanks again for ur time, and great spirit.

I had a porsche ad on my wall when I was 10, I'll never forget it, It had the pic of the back of a 911 with its twin exhuasts and its skid marks left behind as the car was peeling around the corner and it said "There are leaders, and there are followers" life is quite simple isn't it?"

N.B. for those others that are reading this "watch out for ego attack" don't let it beat u.
Boy did you butter my muffin.

I only have v2 and a HVK. I am goingto do meth injection and an oil catchcan and call it quits there I hope....maybe an intake too. It is an obsession.

On intakes for our car: one turbo is in the front, one in the rear. So an optimal CAI will run from under your driver's side headlight up to where your stock airbox is. Welded to this pipe will also be the intake for your front mounted turbo. If you pop your hood and take a peek, you will see one hose from your intercooler(charge pipe) and one coming from the front turbo. VIP Tuning's CAI will make more power than MSDS as it has less bends. Problem with VIP's intake is that the front turbo will have to suck against the flow of air into the engine. If you find their thread and read O-cha's post about it, then you will understand. MSDS incorporates more bends so that the flow i evenly distributed to both turbos. This means less power, but also less stress on your front turbo. If you don't mind making ~5 - 7 whp less than the VIP CAI people, and reliability is more your thing, then I would shovel out the extra $ for the MSDS intake, or wait around for an intake from Logic or Vishnu.

A fully catless system is best performance wise. It will rasp alot and stink a bit. I had fully catless UR setup on my E90 335i and was embarassed to take my gf and her parent's out in it. Why should a $50k car sound like that? But that is just me. If I were to do it all over again, I would get the catless DPs and leave my exhaust stock, or get one fabricated with secondary cats after the X pipe. The resonator in a stock X pipe also fights the raspy noise. If you want no rasp and about 5 - 10 whp, then just get a catless exhaust. This should not rasp as loudly as catless DP with stock exhaust, but will not have as much power. Raspiness on stock exhaust and catless DP is minimal, however. HFC DPs still rasp and smell a little from what I have read, but are less smelly and raspy than the catless ones. You should also csider HFC DPs with a stock exhaust, or a custom exhaust with cats + resonators.

For the meth injection read up on the thread Snow Performance Installed in this General FI section. Should tell you what you need to know. Basically, you can mount an auxilary tank in your trunk and feed a line to be injected into part of your intake. The problem with meth injection is that you will have to change your oil about every 3k miles. Other than that, it cools the intake charge and increases the octane level of gas. This is a cheaper route than an upgraded FMIC. The install is fairly sophisticated, the whole front bumper, etc have to be taken off and the pump mounted on the underbelly of your car. Personally, if I do get this done, I will have a professional install it. Also, on the install you do not want someone inexperienced installing it, as you don't want them putting the injection nozzle before a sensor. Wet sensor = unhappy car. Generally, the nozzle can be fitted into your charge pipe on the driver's side, as that is the "cooled" air coming from the FMIC into your engine.

LSD ismost important for drag racing or taking your car to the 1/4 mile. It does not need to be applied in a daily driver with less than 350whp. Yes, it will help in any car with any mount of HP, but it is most applicable to those pushing above 350whp, so that all the power is laid down to both tires at once. This mod will be worth ~.2 - .4 off of your drag time. Don't quote me on that as I am sure some people get less and others get better, but I feel that that is a good approximation.

I do not know much at all in the suspension department, sorry .

The CAI and FMIC will increase performance in winter and summer. Say you dyno 350whp on your 3rd dyno. This would not be applicable to real life, as you mght be driving your car for 2 hours on the way home from work on the highway and then find a race with a car only drivin for 30 minutes with same whp and mods as you. He would probably pull on you as his car is cooler and less stressed than yours is. Upgraded FMIC help keep the power that you dyno @ consistent. Say you dyno 350 whp. A heatsoaked car w/ stock FMIC will probably only put down 330 - 340whp depending how hard/how long you have been driving. Upgraded FMIC have been proven to increase whp due to better flow and cooler air, and also improve consistency. So if you beat the hell out of your car, you will still be seeing your glorified dyno numbers, or very close to. A CAI can only do so much as far as that goes. The CAI will add more power, but the FMIC will keep it coming after long drives or pushing your car to the limit repeatedly.

Any more questions, don't shy away from the forum just because some mebers say OMFG SEARCH IDIOT. There are always knowledgable people on here if you can find them. I do not attest to being a mechanical god, but only speak for my months of reading and asking questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Will LSD generate more wheelpin or less at at take-off, with the V2 I seem to have mastered one of the best take-offs vs. many other cars that supposedly have a faster 0-60? and most of them have LSD
With just a V2, I wouldn;t be inclined to shell out $2k+ for the LSD. It will create less wheelspin at launch, but is needed as you pass the 350whp mark and approach or exceed the 400whp mark.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
335i black/red
Private
United_States
Rep

- Yep I read the ocha response to the VIP CAI yesterday, and he seemed to have an unbeatable point of view, and for me reliability and durability comes first so either i'll go for the MSDS or wait for the others to come out.
- The FMIC seems very important to my case, because its usually hot here, and in the summer I feel i'm driving a four cylinder car and the NA engines come back and bite me for what I did to them back in winter, also I'll have to ask around with the tuners round here about experience with Meth injections, many install CAI and NOS but I dunno about Meth and thats why the FMIC sounds more do-able. But I guess I'll have to wait till Shiv has a tune for them, I thought he had one on his car?
- I also don't want a sound from my exhaust that will make my wife riding w me, however I must say that Titanium exhaust sounds unbeleivable and reduces humongous weight apparently. did u hear it?

- Whats an oil catch can? U mean oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
AJayE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
That Shit Sounds Sickkkk.... And Less Than Half The Weight?? Damnnn
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Lawl at LSD for drag racers.
      01-19-2008, 01:49 AM   #15
BlakeB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1975 BMW 2002, 2008 335i

Quote:

LSD ismost important for drag racing or taking your car to the 1/4 mile. It does not need to be applied in a daily driver with less than 350whp. Yes, it will help in any car with any mount of HP, but it is most applicable to those pushing above 350whp, so that all the power is laid down to both tires at once. This mod will be worth ~.2 - .4 off of your drag time. Don't quote me on that as I am sure some people get less and others get better, but I feel that that is a good approximation.
Oh geez, since when did BMW's become cars meant for drag racing? If you drive the car aggressively in anything other than a straight line, an LSD will help you immensely, at any horsepower.

Whether it is worth the money is subjective as most all of these mods for our bimmers are probably not "worth the money". Personally I would go for something simple like an SSTT + and LSD over no LSD/exhaust/DPS/Diverter Valves. Having done custom turbos before, boost leaks and the like just are no fun so I like the KISS system here and let the BMW engineers figure it out.

Not to say I wont end up with all this stuff anyways
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

LSD will help in any case BUT tight cornering. I don't think it is really needed unless you want to shave a couple of tenths off of your 1/4 mile time .
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
- Yep I read the ocha response to the VIP CAI yesterday, and he seemed to have an unbeatable point of view, and for me reliability and durability comes first so either i'll go for the MSDS or wait for the others to come out.
- The FMIC seems very important to my case, because its usually hot here, and in the summer I feel i'm driving a four cylinder car and the NA engines come back and bite me for what I did to them back in winter, also I'll have to ask around with the tuners round here about experience with Meth injections, many install CAI and NOS but I dunno about Meth and thats why the FMIC sounds more do-able. But I guess I'll have to wait till Shiv has a tune for them, I thought he had one on his car?
- I also don't want a sound from my exhaust that will make my wife riding w me, however I must say that Titanium exhaust sounds unbeleivable and reduces humongous weight apparently. did u hear it?

- Whats an oil catch can? U mean oil cooler?

That is the Arqray exhaust. Lots of people like that sound. An oil catch can intercepts the oil that is collecting in your charge pipes. The oil is usually found in the charge pipe collected in a little pool. The catchcan inercepts the oil and drains it out into, well, a can. The every now and then you take the can out dump it out and then put it back in.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #18
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:

Where do I go from here?

- Chip Tuning/Piggy Back

- Blow off Valves

- Intake Systems/Filters
(2)-Filter-K&N Filter

Thank you

G

??

Shark injecter/Dinan flash
FMIC
Dinan Oil Cooler

Those are the first 3 things I would do, the 2 peices of hardware help your engine and it's effeiciency more than an exhaust or DP's.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #19
ets335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Just to throw out a different theory, tuning all depends on your goals. If your car is a daily driver and you never track it or is a dyno queen then I say put on all the engine mods you can find. But if you want real world numbers like quarter mile times or lap times a good suspension will knock off seconds on both. It will help all that power be put to the floor and keep you flat. But you might need to sacrifice ride quality for it. Some people would say suspension 1.

If you go that route and have the patience for it, a piggy back should be the last thing you get. You want to help your car breath better before you make it breath harder. So intake and exhaust would be 2. A front mount helps to keep all your power consistent through any kind of condition. So if you take long trips, drive in heat, or track your car more than a lap this would be the next thing. Then once you have all those things you throw on the piggyback.

Understandably many can't wait that long for a piggyback like both you and I so you just have to figure what you want and what you can afford.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #20
BlakeB
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1975 BMW 2002, 2008 335i

Quote:
LSD will help in any case BUT tight cornering. I don't think it is really needed unless you want to shave a couple of tenths off of your 1/4 mile time .
I totally disagree with this, without an LSD you simply cannot put the power down effectively coming out of a turn.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

I'll take a page from AudiWorld B5 S4 forum; Performance Driving School should be the first thing prior to physical modifications.

JK...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2008, 06:34 PM   #22
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
I totally disagree with this, without an LSD you simply cannot put the power down effectively coming out of a turn.
I guess it is all a matter of opinion. LSD increases performance around bends and in straight line acceleration, but around U-turns and such not so great. I guess it is a fairly important mod but personally find it way too much work to get the diff out of your car, ship it out, then put the new diff back in. Lots of money, but if you want it, get it.
Appreciate 0