E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Updated Angel Eyes...

01-20-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blau '08 E90 Xi

Updated Angel Eyes...

Hola Forum,

I currently have Mtec V4s installed on my pre-lci E90. I think mentally more than visually they just don't seem bright to me anymore. Not in a sense where they may be dimming, but more so like I have been looking at them for so long that they just don't seem bright ENOUGH for me anymore.

Besides custom options (OSS, 88customs, etc.), what possibly brighter options are out there that are PnP? I wouldn't do it right now, but but by the time spring comes I'll be looking to change them and just want some options.

Gracias!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

If you are referring to the Mtec V4 that are only 6W then yea those are outdated like whoa.

For instance, the HPB Pre LCI E90 angel eyes are 40W each side, that's a significant bump in power and output.

There is always the Lux option but it depends on how much you want to spend.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #3
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
If you are referring to the Mtec V4 that are only 6W then yea those are outdated like whoa.

For instance, the HPB Pre LCI E90 angel eyes are 40W each side, that's a significant bump in power and output.

There is always the Lux option but it depends on how much you want to spend.
LOL, Yea. They replaced my original BMS LEDs that burnt out after a few months.

I'm going to look into the HPB AEs. Lux prices have always been a bit much for me to consider.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynTico506 View Post
LOL, Yea. They replaced my original BMS LEDs that burnt out after a few months.

I'm going to look into the HPB AEs. Lux prices have always been a bit much for me to consider.
We recently just released our new LUX E90 V6 angel eyes and have reduced the price on them quite a bit from our last version. These have the output equivalent of 88 watts making the brightest version we have ever offered as well.

Last edited by LuxAngelEyes; 01-20-2015 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I have the MTEC V4's too and they are still looking pretty bright to me after ~6 months. But I might try one with more wattage.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #6
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
We recently just released our new LUX E90 V6 angel eyes and have reduced the price on them quite a bit from our last version. These have the output equivalent of 67 watts making the brightest version we have ever offered as well.
The MTEC V4's say they use 6W LED chips. Can you explain how this value compares to your V6's that you said use just under 6W each and have an equivalent halogen output 67W?

The angel eye wattage ratings are getting ridiculous and confusing these days.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
I have the MTEC V4's too and they are still looking pretty bright to me after ~6 months. But I might try one with more wattage.
The V4s were definitely an upgrade from my BMS AEs, but I've had them in for over a year and I think just looking at the level of brightness from newer car LEDs I feel left behind. But I just don't want to deal with the headaches of customs for my DD
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #8
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
The MTEC V4's say they use 6W LED chips. Can you explain how this value compares to your V6's that you said use just under 6W each and have an equivalent halogen output 67W?

I think u mixed up the posts. The V6s are just Version 6, now necessarily 6w. Though I would like to know what the wattage of the V6s is.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #9
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The MTEC V4's say they use 6W LED chips. Can you explain how this value compares to your V6's that you said use just under 6W each and have an equivalent halogen output 88W?

Sure of course i can explain this to help clarify. The actual wattage used by the LED's really doesn't matter because that has no direct impact on brightness and heat.

A stock halogen bulb created right around 20 lumen per watt of power. Our lights create 890 lumen in total, so if you divide 890 / 20 that give you 44.5 which is the equivalent rating of a halogen bulbs output. Both sides would them be 88 watts ( rounded down).

Lumen ( or the amount of light) is the only thing that you can compare all light bulbs with as a direct comparison
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynTico506 View Post
I think u mixed up the posts. The V6s are just Version 6, now necessarily 6w. Though I would like to know what the wattage of the V6s is.
I was referencing another post from Lux where he said the V6 bulbs use just under 6W each.

Quote:
Sure of course i can explain this to help clarify. The actual wattage used by the LED's really doesn't matter because that has no direct impact on brightness and heat.

A stock halogen bulb created right around 20 lumen per watt of power. Our lights create 890 lumen in total, so if you divide 890 / 20 that give you 44.5 which is the equivalent rating of a halogen bulbs output. Both sides would them be 88 watts ( rounded down).

Lumen ( or the amount of light) is the only thing that you can compare all light bulbs with as a direct comparison
Thanks for the explanation. Any idea on the lumens of the MTEC V4's?

Also, your other post says 67W equivalent output, but here you said 44.5W.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=998

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was referencing another post from Lux where he said the V6 bulbs use just under 6W each.

Thanks for the explanation. Any idea on the lumens of the MTEC V4's?

Also, your other post says 67W equivalent output, but here you said 44.5W.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=998
Your correct i made a typo and updated that figure to 88 watts, my bad on that. I'm not sure what the MTEC V4's are, and the only way to find out is to know the exact LED Bin they are using, and only MTEC would have that information as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #12
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your correct i made a typo and updated that figure to 88 watts, my bad on that. I'm not sure what the MTEC V4's are, and the only way to find out is to know the exact LED Bin they are using, and only MTEC would have that information as well.
Ah ok, thanks. Well I just ordered a set of your V6's from XPH, so I'll take some comparison pictures vs. the MTEC V4's.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks. Well I just ordered a set of your V6's from XPH, so I'll take some comparison pictures vs. the MTEC V4's.
Thanks for doing my work for me! LOL.
I'd love to see pics when u get them installed! Post back here so I know to look for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
I'd like to see this comparison as well as I'm leaning debating between the MTEC V4 and the Lux V6.
      01-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
I'd like to see this comparison as well as I'm leaning debating between the MTEC V4 and the Lux V6.
We should have some pictures fairly soon. We do accept return within 60 days as well just in case. This way you can test them out and see how you like them. Ours are rated much brighter and they are also $20 less
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #16
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We should have some pictures fairly soon. We do accept return within 60 days as well just in case. This way you can test them out and see how you like them. Ours are rated much brighter and they are also $20 less
Thank you! You guys have been very responsive to all my questions and PMs. Just curious, would you happen to have any V5.2's still in stock? If so, is there a priced reduction on those since the V6's are out? I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if I'm staying in the Lux family.
      01-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #17
pbeatman
HP Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x

I am ready to buy the V6's. Do you have them in stock and is the site the fastest place to purchase/receive my angel eyes?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #18
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
Thank you! You guys have been very responsive to all my questions and PMs. Just curious, would you happen to have any V5.2's still in stock? If so, is there a priced reduction on those since the V6's are out? I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if I'm staying in the Lux family.
We actually ran out of stock of the V5.2's while we were waiting for the E90 V6's to finish production, so we only have those in stock at the moment
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The Lux is a very good option
We also released our own pre-lci angel eye kit

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #20
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just installed one of the Lux V6 angel eyes in one headlight and left the MTEC V4 in the other. The difference between the two is minimal, the Lux is negligibly brighter. I had to stare at it for a good 10-20 seconds before I could notice that it was brighter. This was at night too when the brightness difference should be more apparent. The color is exactly the same between the two. I couldn't get any good night pictures. I'll try to take some day pictures tomorrow since that is what most people care about and maybe some more differences will show up then.

The Lux V6's appear to be high quality and durable. Good packaging as well. I wrapped the connectors in heat shrink tubing after connecting them. The blade connectors leave some metal exposed which could short out on the body of the bulb if both wires are touching the body at the same time. It would be very unlikely for this to happen, but just a concern I had.

Overall, the Lux V6's are nice, bright, all for a good price. As to the original question of this thread, I would say it's not worth it to upgrade to Lux V6 from MTEC V4. If Lux's claim that the V6 is the brightest out there, then I think the MTEC V4 is a very close 2nd.

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #21
jbnery6465
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just installed one of the Lux V6 angel eyes in one headlight and left the MTEC V4 in the other. The difference between the two is minimal, the Lux is negligibly brighter. I had to stare at it for a good 10-20 seconds before I could notice that it was brighter. This was at night too when the brightness difference should be more apparent. The color is exactly the same between the two. I couldn't get any good night pictures. I'll try to take some day pictures tomorrow since that is what most people care about and maybe some more differences will show up then.

The Lux V6's appear to be high quality and durable. Good packaging as well. I wrapped the connectors in heat shrink tubing after connecting them. The blade connectors leave some metal exposed which could short out on the body of the bulb if both wires are touching the body at the same time. It would be very unlikely for this to happen, but just a concern I had.

Overall, the Lux V6's are nice, bright, all for a good price. As to the original question of this thread, I would say it's not worth it to upgrade to Lux V6 from MTEC V4. If Lux's claim that the V6 is the brightest out there, then I think the MTEC V4 is a very close 2nd.
Interesting, can't wait for the pics. I'm surprised that the color is exactly the same. From pics on the forum, the V4 seem to be a pure white whereas the V6 should have the same color as the V5.2 from what I was told- which had a slight hint of blue to it (which I personally like). Either way, thanks for the quick review!
      01-27-2015, 03:27 AM   #22
BklynTico506
Pura Vida
Costa Rica
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the follow-up, definitely look forward to pics. I'm a bit disappointed tho to hear that brightness wasnt visible to the eye. Guess things arent always what they seem on paper.
Appreciate 0