E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen headlights not working, bulbs / fuses fine

01-22-2015, 09:25 AM   #1
djdadi
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Halogen headlights not working, bulbs / fuses fine

I am at a dead end and don't know what else to do, so I will ask here. If any tips are valuable, and save me a trip from the dealership, a bitcoin reward will be given proportional to how awesome the insight is.

Backstory: Bought 2009 BMW 335i from salvage auction. Powertrain was fine, 2 door were replaced and headlights were missing. We tried getting the xenon's but at the time could not find any used and new they are something like $2500/per from BMW, so we tried halogen headlight housing/bulbs. Surprisingly, it plugged right into an H7 and worked fine. The high-beams have never worked right (they flash on every third blink of turn signal), but who care. These bulbs have burnt out two times at about a year interval. Obviously something is wrong, but the price of solving the problem vs getting an H7 bulb is too great.

Here is a breakdown of what happened recently:

-Left headlight went out, warning showed

-2 days later, R headlight did the same

-Replaced both bulbs, noticed filaments in-tact -- new bulbs did not come on either

Possibly relevant things diagnostically:

-Starting car with no bulb at all shows a missing bulb warning
-No voltage is coming to the hot lead of cable in question
-Ground is good
-All other lights unaffected
-Fuses are hot
-Nothing looks out of the ordinary. No water, burnt cables, etc etc

I'm in a tough spot with work right now and don't have the time or money (this week at least) to leave it at a shop. So I'd love to figure this out at home. Or if not, possible run the hot from the fog's to the low beams until I can seek professional help.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
could it be your footwell module

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0