THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Anyone changed their brake pads yet?

01-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Anyone changed their brake pads yet?

It appears that the two pins are removed and the pads are pulled out the back of the caliper. Similar to many Porsche's I've owned. But I'm not sure what the large silver blocks on the backs of the pads are for. And I assume there is a typical wired wear sensor on some of the pads. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by NEUE02; 01-28-2015 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

here is a video on similar brembo brake

Appreciate 1
      01-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
mike@tpc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white M235i

the large blocks are part of the pads. To add weight, I would guess to dampen vibrations. Like the 1M brakes had large metal blocks bolted to the bottom of the outer face, and the camaro ss has roller skate looking weights on their pads.

There is a wear sensor, you can see it in the picture. Use extreme caution when removing it. Its easy to break. On one of mine, the metal spring clip came off and flew across the garage, but thankfully, I found it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02
It appears that the two pins are removed and the pads are pulled out the back of the caliper. Similar to many Porsche's I've owned. But I'm not sure what the large silver blocks on the backs of the pads are for. And I assume there is a typical wired wear sensor on some of the pads. Can anyone confirm?

Nice! Do you also have easy swap pad windows/openings in the rear?
      03-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Yes, same set up.
      03-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I haven't done BMW brakes yet, though in response to the HOW TO video above I personally would use a plastic hammer and a plastic punch or some tape on the tip of a metal punch to push the pins out - just to keep the caliper paint chip free.
I also would not pry the pads away from the disc by leveraging a screw driver against the disc. I'm not sure if he's pressing the piston back into the caliper by leveraging against the disc. A good vise grip would probably pull the pads out. Do they make a dedicated BMW tool (not a big C-clamp ) for pushing the piston back without removing the caliper?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Yes, same set up.
Awesome, thanks!
      07-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

I swapped pads in today for a track day - simple to do.
      07-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #9
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I haven't done BMW brakes yet, though in response to the HOW TO video above I personally would use a plastic hammer and a plastic punch or some tape on the tip of a metal punch to push the pins out - just to keep the caliper paint chip free.
I also would not pry the pads away from the disc by leveraging a screw driver against the disc. I'm not sure if he's pressing the piston back into the caliper by leveraging against the disc. A good vise grip would probably pull the pads out. Do they make a dedicated BMW tool (not a big C-clamp ) for pushing the piston back without removing the caliper?
The design is similar to Brembo (i think these are a derivative of the Brembos) and what you can do to help get some space between the rotor and pad is use a large flat blade screw driver and push away from the rotor against the pad being replaced, assuming you aren't doing it for track purposes and don't plan to reuse the pad. On my R56 JCW it has brembos in the front and the pads came out easily once worked back with a screwdriver. Typically worn pads are easier to get out and then you can push the piston further back without removing the entire caliper.

Rear brakes are a different story. If they have that X slotted face on the piston, FCPEuro and some other places sell the adapter for a 1/2" socket driver to slowly screw the piston back into the housing. All in, it should take about an hour or so to replace all 4 pads on this car. edit: do not use a C-clamp on rear brakes that have the X slot on the piston face, it will not work. I am not sure if the M235i has this style of brake, I looked at realoem.com but wasn't able to tell based on the pictures.

Good tip about the plastic mallet + punch for the pinss

As for the big metal pieces on the outside of the pads, that's par for the course with Brembo style brakes. They add structural integrity to the pad, increase cooling surface area, and make it easier to swap pads. I actually prefer them now because they are easier to get out of the caliper without removing it than other styles of pads.
Appreciate 0