F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > HELP! Anyone with KW's please read this! HELP
GetBMWParts

01-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Exclamation HELP! Anyone with KW's please read this! HELP

So I'm having issues with installing my KW's, the only conclusion I can come up with is that BMW messed up at the factory and installed the wrong struts/stabilizer bars on my car, or somehow the KW's I have are the wrong ones.

So I ask of you guys, could you please post pics of the front driver and passenger side of the area where the stabilizer link bolts to your strut. And if possible pics of your factory struts and KW struts laying side by side (I figured nobody has pics of their KW struts side by side but it's worth asking lol)

My passenger side stabilizer link is in a bind and I can't turn my wheel to the left without breaking it. Thanks for the help!

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F36 428i GC, E36 M3 - gone :(

Just chiming in to "bump" this thread for the OP. I hope you get it sorted. I find it hard to believe BMW messed up at the factory. The only other conclusion is that the KWs you got are wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Bump!
      01-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
Just chiming in to "bump" this thread for the OP. I hope you get it sorted. I find it hard to believe BMW messed up at the factory. The only other conclusion is that the KWs you got are wrong.
Thanks!!! There's one thing I forgot to mention and the KWs I have are for an EDC 335, mine is non EDC. Would that make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
Thanks!!! There's one thing I forgot to mention and the KWs I have are for an EDC 335, mine is non EDC. Would that make a difference?
Yes, top mounts are different if i recall. I had so many issues with my V1's they are sitting in a box and waiting for KW to warranty them. First my car was sitting way too low on the highest setting and had a noise in the front end when there was a fast compression and the handling felt softer than stock. I then contacted KW and they sent me a rear 30mm spring spacer and i raised the front to match. The end result was the noise got even worse and i ended up removing them. I checked the top mounts and everything was perfect no leaks on the struts or anything i cant find the source of the noise issue. Im back on the stock suspension after paying 4 times labor on my car not including alignment costs. The car feels stiffer and more planted on the stock M-Sport suspension than on the V1's and the noise is gone. Im not sure if i got a bad set or they are badly tuned for the F31. I bought them in July and installed them in August and so far its been a nightmare :$, ive had many KW sets and this is the first set i have encountered an issue with.

Last edited by track_warrior; 02-03-2015 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Man, hopefully the Bilsteins I am about to order performs better than the V1s for you! I must say that on my Audi S5, aside from the rear ride height issue, the ride was great and I didnt have any issues with "clunking" though I know others who did. Not sure why its so hard to develop coils that work like stock??
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Quote:
I think thats your problem right there. Why would you order EDC KW for a non-edc F30 in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man, hopefully the Bilsteins I am about to order performs better than the V1s for you! I must say that on my Audi S5, aside from the rear ride height issue, the ride was great and I didnt have any issues with "clunking" though I know others who did. Not sure why its so hard to develop coils that work like stock??
You should be fine with Bilstein, they have always been a bit higher than KW's and perform amazing. For us F31 owners the only US available coilover option is KW. I researched on Bilsteins German website and saw they make F31 320d coilovers which should work on the 328d which is basically the same car just rebadged. Unfortunately i would have to order from a dealer in germany suck up the import costs and pray that they will warranty me in case they go bad since they are not show on bilsteins us website. Man i really hope KW fixes the issue with the coilovers. Weirdly the Clubsports on my M3 were a lot more ride heigh friendly and had no noises. Im planning on ordering an M2 as a track car when its released and planed on installing clubsports when available but man its scary knowing i will probably get the first batch of the car and coilovers lol.
      02-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
I researched on Bilsteins German website and saw they make F31 320d coilovers which should work on the 328d which is basically the same car just rebadged. Unfortunately i would have to order from a dealer in germany suck up the import costs and pray that they will warranty me in case they go bad since they are not show on bilsteins us website.
I am in the same boat with my F36. Bilstein EU site has the part listed for my car but its not showing up on Bilstein US site. I am going to wait for a bit more to see if it officially comes to the US. With the issues I had with KW and my unfamiliarity with Bilstein makes me nervous to purchase it in case something goes wrong. Maybe I am better off leaving my suspension stock!? NO WAY!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
jjc4scab
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435ix,GTR, Huracan Performante

Quote:
I had Bilsteins on my Carrera. They performed flawlessly. I will say however that in the 997 community many people had clunking but it was determined to be a install problem. Something to do with reassembly of the bushings with install. Please tell me when you get yours installed and I will order mine from the same place...........................
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
tboooe
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjc4scab View Post
I had Bilsteins on my Carrera. They performed flawlessly. I will say however that in the 997 community many people had clunking but it was determined to be a install problem. Something to do with reassembly of the bushings with install. Please tell me when you get yours installed and I will order mine from the same place...........................
Yeah Ive heard nothing but great things about Bilstein. I just need to take the plunge and trust the quality of Bilstein and that the EU website is correct in stating that they have a version that fits my F36. I am still hoping that within the next few months the US site will have something officially for my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
Forgiven
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22, X5 45e

KW EDC Clubsports with swift springs on order here
      02-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTION View Post
I think thats your problem right there. Why would you order EDC KW for a non-edc F30 in the first place?
i got them from a vendor on here used, he thought they would fit, just didnt send me the EDC part of them.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #14
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
Yes, top mounts are different if i recall. I had so many issues with my V1's they are sitting in a box and waiting for KW to warranty them. First my car was sitting way too low on the highest setting and had a noise in the front end when there was a fast compression and the handling felt softer than stock. I then contacted KW and they sent me a rear 30mm spring spacer and i raised the front to match. The end result was the noise got even worse and i ended up removing them. I checked the top mounts and everything was perfect no leaks on the struts or anything i cant find the source of the noise issue. Im back on the stock suspension after paying 4 times labor on my car not including alignment costs. The car feels stiffer and more planted on the stock M-Sport suspension than on the V1's and the noise is gone. Im not sure if i got a bad set or they are badly tuned for the F31. I bought them in July and installed them in August and so far its been a nightmare :$, ive had many KW sets and this is the first set i have encountered an issue with.
I still have a hard time believing it wasnt your bushings....ive installed quite a few struts in my life, and have a lot of experience with various shops, even well known shops, and i dont trust anyone. the ONLY cause i have ever found of clunking was the bushings going out(granted loose bolts could be a cause but thats so obvious and easy to troubleshoot), but i could always be wrong!

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 12:36 PM   #15
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I still have a hard time believing it wasnt your bushings....ive installed quite a few struts in my life, and have a lot of experience with various shops, even well known shops, and i dont trust anyone. the ONLY cause i have ever found of clunking was the bushings going out(granted loose bolts could be a cause but thats so obvious and easy to troubleshoot), but i could always be wrong!
Yeah i though it might have been the case as well but nope, im back on the stock suspension and the noise is gone. The techs double checked everything before i switched back to the oem suspension and they did not find anything visually wrong. Im still waiting on a response from KW.