F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Adaptive head lights - gimmick or useful?
ARMA SPEED

01-31-2015, 05:58 AM   #1
Robbo McLaren
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d Gran Coupe

Adaptive head lights - gimmick or useful?

After driving around using my adaptive head lights I have to say that they aren't that great. I certainly don't think I'll tick that box again when the time comes.

Does anybody else notice oncoming traffic flashing you to dip your lights?
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

I think they're pretty useful for dark windy roads. You can keep your hands on the wheel and not have to fiddle with the stalk. Came with LED package anyway. Also you can get the Anti-dazzle feature coded so it'll function the way it's supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
I think they're pretty useful for dark windy roads. You can keep your hands on the wheel and not have to fiddle with the stalk. Came with LED package anyway. Also you can get the Anti-dazzle feature coded so it'll function the way it's supposed to.
This is where they might come in handy--I had them on my last car and on my new 328. I find them more of a gimmick, but I very rarely am driving on desolate dark roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
bobkat09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Every time I use the adaptive feature I get a "bulb" warning. I read that it's probably a servo motor in the lamp...about a $500 fix. HaHa.

Since I don't use it anymore I don't miss it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerix View Post
This is where they might come in handy--I had them on my last car and on my new 328. I find them more of a gimmick, but I very rarely am driving on desolate dark roads.
To be honest, I disagree! They're VERY useful even on lit up roads...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah View Post

It's kind of like headlight washers--people have differing, and very contrary opinions. I don't find the adaptive headlights very useful; others like them. The OP is just going to have to determine for himself.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670
Quote:

It's kind of like headlight washers--people have differing, and very contrary opinions. I don't find the adaptive headlights very useful; others like them. The OP is just going to have to determine for himself.
But you gotta admit! Xenons are waaaaaay better than Halogens, and LEDs are waaaaay better than both... But if you don't really wanna use em, you can always turn the headlights on manually! I agree, I don't like the Headlight Washers! They come on when I intend to only wash the window... I find that annoying
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'm running xenon adaptive in my 535i and they are near perfect for driving rural roads. Work fine along with High Beam assist, plus the slow speed cornering lights, add in auto wipers, all make for easy night driving.

For me not a gimmick, but very useful indeed for driving Scottish glens.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #9
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
But you gotta admit! Xenons are waaaaaay better than Halogens, and LEDs are waaaaay better than both... But if you don't really wanna use em, you can always turn the headlights on manually! I agree, I don't like the Headlight Washers! They come on when I intend to only wash the window... I find that annoying
I love HIDs and LEDs; I just don't care about the adaptive feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 09:10 PM   #10
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo McLaren View Post
After driving around using my adaptive head lights I have to say that they aren't that great. I certainly don't think I'll tick that box again when the time comes.

There is a difference between adaptive and high-beam assist. The high-beam assist with adaptive splits the high beam with approaching or following traffic. I use mine everytime it is dark. I have not yet been flashed by anyone.

If you are setting high beam manually, and not activating high-beam assist, then essentially you are leaving your lights on full. I hope you are not doing that. Otherwise, it is possible your lights need to be adjusted. The demo I first tested aimed a bit high and I got flashed a few times.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

The entire headlight system is very useful. You can definitely see the headlights swivel to illuminate as you're turning, the cornering [fog] lights that come on when turning are useful, and the fog and door handle lights that turn on when reversing are helpful too.
      02-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #12
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm running xenon adaptive in my 535i and they are near perfect for driving rural roads. Work fine along with High Beam assist, plus the slow speed cornering lights, add in auto wipers, all make for easy night driving.

For me not a gimmick, but very useful indeed for driving Scottish glens.

HighlandPete
Anti Dazzle FTW!
      02-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo McLaren View Post

They are excellent, are you operating them correctly?

Lights switch to auto and then press adaptive light switch on left hand stalk.

This gives you a green light on dash.

I have them on constantly, drove to and from Heathrow from Wolerhampton, brilliant, no flashing.

Also A5 up to Anglesey and to Tamworth at night, never flashed.

They do shape and form amazingly.

A must have tbh.

As thread on UK bit of forum says, couple this with HUD, ACC, Sat Nav with RTTI and autobox - sublime
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
They are excellent, are you operating them correctly?

Lights switch to auto and then press adaptive light switch on left hand stalk.

This gives you a green light on dash.

I have them on constantly, drove to and from Heathrow from Wolerhampton, brilliant, no flashing.

Also A5 up to Anglesey and to Tamworth at night, never flashed.

They do shape and form amazingly.

A must have tbh.

As thread on UK bit of forum says, couple this with HUD, ACC, Sat Nav with RTTI and autobox - sublime
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I though the OP meant the "swivel" feature when referring to adaptive headlights, not the automatic high beams. Seems like both features are being used interchangeably here.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I though the OP meant the "swivel" feature when referring to adaptive headlights, not the automatic high beams. Seems like both features are being used interchangeably here.
Yeah, adaptive will switch full beam on and off as desired.

It will under certain circumstances switch one side on high beam (non traffic side) and other on dipped.

Will create a box around car in front.

Dancing lights is best description.

They are not just lights that swivel or auto switch main and dipped beams.

They adjust to traffic coming towards you, cars in front of you etc.

The BMW online video for adaptive is about how it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Jet Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I think BMW uses different terminology in the US vs elsewhere. In the US, adaptive headlights are the swiveling lights, not so elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 01:45 AM   #17
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

Personally, I don't really use the adaptive part while on winding roads.
Especially in a turn I like to switch to low beams *before* I actually see the other car coming. (Switch when you see their lights coming, not the car itself)

The adaptive headlights will react only after the car is in view, and even then, has a slight delay when switching. IMHO this is not nice to the other drivers. Even if they get the full on high beams for just 0.5 sec, that's 0.5 too much I think.
You can get dazzled really quickly with the high beams.

I use the feature on highways and straight roads, although I've been flashed once or twice by other incoming cars who were *far* away.

If OP was just talking about the swivel feature, then yes, that's a very nice feature which I appreciate.

TL;DR: Adaptive feature too slow to react on winding roads; OK for straight roads/highways
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

I find it very useful. Where I live, the freeway can be pretty dark during non-rush hours and I use the high beam assist frequently. I have never had anyone flash at me, in fact I think that the high beam could stay on for another 4-5 seconds or so but the car changes to low beam the moment it spots any headlights or taillights in the distance. Very efficient. I'm very impressed.

The headlight washer though....as someone else said, it comes on when I just want to wash the windshield. I don't like that, but I guess the logic behind that is if your windshield needs washing, that same crap is splattered across your headlights too.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
JeffreyC
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i X

Just to be clear, the non-US members are talking about something different than what is available in the US. In the US, all we can get is the high-beam assist, which turns the high-beams on or off. In Europe (and I assume other places), they get "anti-dazzle" headlights. This version actually turns certain headlights on and off and moves them around depending on what light is sensed ahead of the car. So when you are following a car, the high-beams will "split" and illuminate to the right and left of the car in front. They also do other things depending on what is sensed by the light sensor.

The good news for we in the US is that the anti-dazzle feature can be turned on via coding. I have done this and it is a great. You need the high-beam assist for the anti-dazzle to work.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 01:42 PM   #20
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyC View Post
Just to be clear, the non-US members are talking about something different than what is available in the US. In the US, all we can get is the high-beam assist, which turns the high-beams on or off. In Europe (and I assume other places), they get "anti-dazzle" headlights. This version actually turns certain headlights on and off and moves them around depending on what light is sensed ahead of the car. So when you are following a car, the high-beams will "split" and illuminate to the right and left of the car in front. They also do other things depending on what is sensed by the light sensor.

The good news for we in the US is that the anti-dazzle feature can be turned on via coding. I have done this and it is a great. You need the high-beam assist for the anti-dazzle to work.
That sounds like an awesome feature. Any particular reason(s) that this feature is not activated by default in the US?

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #21
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Strictly speaking, I think the adaptive is great. The lights being able to turn left, right, up, and down is awesome. However I think the OP is speaking of anti-dazzle or HBA.

Just to clarify the terminology.
      02-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #22
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf32 View Post
Strictly speaking, I think the adaptive is great. The lights being able to turn left, right, up, and down is awesome. However I think the OP is speaking of anti-dazzle or HBA.

Just to clarify the terminology.
Yeah possibly, hence my query if he is operating them correctly.

Not many people have issues with the adaptive lights package this side of the Pond.

However, some have not set them correctly and result is being flashed.

The HBA on its own may be a bit poor, however with full adaptive it 'shines'.
Appreciate 0