E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Guenuine Philips D1S XtremeVision just installed

01-31-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
laurentProd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93

Guenuine Philips D1S XtremeVision just installed

Here is a pic of my Philips X-tremeVision I got from TRS.

X-tremeVision are supposed to be 4800k but comparing to my original bulb on the right, difference is not really noticeable. I was expecting a much more white/blue tint !! (Picture was taken after 2 min, time for the bulb to run at normal temp.)
Notice the difference with the X5 Led !!!

About TRS, anyone got bad experience with them?
My brand new bulbs were shipped in an unsealed original box and bulbs seem not brand new ...
Both have "burn spots", one has a bend metal wire on top ...
Quite disappointed for the price I paid ...

I really think they sold me 2nd hand bulbs...

Last edited by laurentProd; 01-31-2015 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
marketmaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335

The metal wire will have nothing to do with output. TRS has always been great for me. Call them up and let them know your displeasure. I am sure they make it right.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
laurentProd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketmaster View Post
The metal wire will have nothing to do with output. TRS has always been great for me. Call them up and let them know your displeasure. I am sure they make it right.

True but I didn't say that. Just that the bulb is not brand new ...

here is a link to a better image of the output color:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-g...o/DSC03262.JPG

Anyone else got XtremeVision??
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

If you wanted whiter and bluer you should have gone with Philips Ultinon, or even Osram CBI which are a touch whiter than the XV

Also HID bulbs will color shift as they age, so they will get a little bit whiter/bluer over time. It does look like the XV is slightly brighter and whiter than the stock bulb. You're comparing a new bulb to a color shifted OEM bulb, so the difference will not be as great. The XV bulb will likely get a little bit whiter over time (though you won't notice since it's so gradual).
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:11 AM   #5
amullo
Swedish F31 lightenthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 320d xdrive Msport

Garage List
I went with osram nightbreaker unlimited Xenarc D1S bulbs in mine and they are about as white as oem, but Brighter. Mine popped after about 50hours driving, going slightly whiter them Oem, but not much. Say 5000k
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 04:08 AM   #6
laurentProd
Private First Class
Rep

What about all new cars (BMW, AUDI, MERC) - not talking about full led headlights?
What color are they running? Face to face they are way more blue then XV and are stock.
6000k?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentProd

Here is a pic of my Philips X-tremeVision I got from TRS.

X-tremeVision are supposed to be 4800k but comparing to my original bulb on the right, difference is not really noticeable. I was expecting a much more white/blue tint !! (Picture was taken after 2 min, time for the bulb to run at normal temp.)
Notice the difference with the X5 Led !!!

About TRS, anyone got bad experience with them?
My brand new bulbs were shipped in an unsealed original box and bulbs seem not brand new ...
Both have "burn spots", one has a bend metal wire on top ...
Quite disappointed for the price I paid ...

I really think they sold me 2nd hand bulbs...
If you were expecting more blue white then you should've gotten something around 6000K or higher. Stock bulbs are 4350k, for reference.

Here, have a little read on the Kelvin scale my friend:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...jsp?techid=170
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
marketmaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335

did you follow up with TRS?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #9
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentProd View Post
What about all new cars (BMW, AUDI, MERC) - not talking about full led headlights?
What color are they running? Face to face they are way more blue then XV and are stock.
6000k?
The blue color you see from oncoming HID projectors are from the color fringing at the cutoff. The actual beam of light is still white.

Same goes for LED projectors, maybe even moreso. Ever see a new Corolla or MDX at night? Their lights look CRAZY blue coming towards you, but next to them they're just standard bright white LED color. BMW uses reflector based LEDs so they don't have this effect on their LED headlights.
Appreciate 0