Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Thumbs up PCA Founders Region DE Events - Now Open!

For those that are interested, all of our 2015 PCA events for the Founders Regions are open for registration: http://www.motorsportreg.com/calenda...-driver-school

We visit multiple tracks across the east coast: Summit Point Main, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Watkins Glenn, Mid-Ohio (with the NNJ chapter), Dominion (brand new track). Normally we also go to VIR each year at least once, but due to an unusual NASA and IMSA racing schedule, we deferred out date and instead go with the Zone 2 to VIR, which is separate registration.

All in all its about 29 track days offered, 3 less than normal this year, but still a good amount. Also, our events are probably the cheapest in the region, particularly for 3-day events.

If you have any questions, let me know, hope to see more M drivers in our events
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:03 AM   #2
m3pilot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 ///M4

Was browsing the pca site and the tech info was kind of confusing. Are you required to tech your car before the event at the specific shop/time sited on the schedule or can you bring the tech sheet signed off by your mechanic (i.e. BMWCCA) to the paddock tech session day of? I'd love to join just to run mid-ohio and the glen but making it to tech in advance might be tough. Many ///M cars at their events? most of my P-car friends are serious ///M haters.

Thanks
      03-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
brian99997
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3pilot View Post
Many ///M cars at their events? most of my P-car friends are serious ///M haters.
Coming from the Lone Star region PCA, p-car owners are the most kind to others compared to any other group. I can't imagine that you'll have any trouble.

In Texas, the one inspection was good for both days but you should at least check the easy stuff (lugs, pad life, fluids) between days yourself.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Was browsing the pca site and the tech info was kind of confusing. Are you required to tech your car before the event at the specific shop/time sited on the schedule or can you bring the tech sheet signed off by your mechanic (i.e. BMWCCA) to the paddock tech session day of?
What is at our web site is the free tech inspection we perform for members if you choose to attend. if you cannot or don't want to, any qualified 'shop' can do the inspection; just make sure they stamp it with the shop's name. If the BMW CCA as a club does the inspection, there is a chance it won't pass our techs, but I am not certain of this as this never came up frankly. It is best to have it done by shop IMHO. The list of shops that will do free track inspection are on our web site too, but all are for Porsche's, generally they'll do BMWs as well.

Also, I would highly recommend the following forum for the latest information: http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=34161

Quote:
I'd love to join just to run mid-ohio and the glen but making it to tech in advance might be tough. Many ///M cars at their events? most of my P-car friends are serious ///M haters.

Thanks
I'd like to think we are very open with all marques, particularly with BMW and Audi. Generally we have half-dozen to a dozen ///Ms showing up in our events, I am personally trying to increase that level of participation.

We have good and close relations with the BMWCCA NCC, they run our skid pad sessions, several of their instructors participate with us and few of our instructors, like me, track their ///Ms. I would be more than surprised if you feel out of place in any way frankly.

Additionally, I am one of the official Greeters for our events. If participants are new to DE or running with the club, we guide them so they feel welcome and don't get lost on track or in between all the rules; I am one of the first people you would come to see in the morning (6:45 am), so I can make sure everything you need is in order and you are ready for the event without anxiety

I would also high recommend you don't miss our first Summit Point event, it would be great to get your feet wet with us
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 07:49 AM   #5
m3pilot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

cool, I was a little confused about the pretech date and wanted to make sure it wasn't a mandatory thing. bmwcca is pretty much the same, have whatever reputable shop do the inspection and remember to bring your sheet with you to the track. Im actually good friends with the Bob and Yani from NCC that handle your skid pad duties. I used to instruct for NCC, Tarheel, and few other local groups that Miriam ran so i might know a few of the guys that are still around. Thanks for the heads up and I look forward to seeing you there.

,Brad
      03-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Excellent Brad. I think we all went through Miriam's teachings one time or another

Btw, we are looking for instructors for this Saturday for our HPDC, intro to DE event, if you have the time
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 08:11 AM   #7
m3pilot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'd love to and have actually been talking with Bob about coming back with their skidpad program but unless i can do classroom, skidpad, control, pitlane, or observe from the corners and provide feedback(like we do in skip barber) than I'm going to have to pass. I've sat shotgun with beginners for the last time on track. I'm a bad passenger when students aren't listening. If you need any help with the autocross school where there's nothing for them to hit I'm your man. lol

Last edited by m3pilot; 03-11-2015 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to and have actually been talking with Bob about coming back with their skidpad program but unless i can do classroom, skidpad, control, pitlane, or observe from the corners and provide feedback(like we do in skip barber) than I'm going to have to pass. I've sat shotgun with beginners for the last time on track. I'm a bad passenger when students aren't listening. If you need any help with the autocross school where there's nothing for them to hit I'm your man. lol
I hear you

I have some thoughts, hopefully we'll get the chance to chat about it later on sometime
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #9
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Quote:
Was browsing the pca site and the tech info was kind of confusing. Are you required to tech your car before the event at the specific shop/time sited on the schedule or can you bring the tech sheet signed off by your mechanic (i.e. BMWCCA) to the paddock tech session day of?
What is at our web site is the free tech inspection we perform for members if you choose to attend. if you cannot or don't want to, any qualified 'shop' can do the inspection; just make sure they stamp it with the shop's name. If the BMW CCA as a club does the inspection, there is a chance it won't pass our techs, but I am not certain of this as this never came up frankly. It is best to have it done by shop IMHO. The list of shops that will do free track inspection are on our web site too, but all are for Porsche's, generally they'll do BMWs as well.

Also, I would highly recommend the following forum for the latest information: http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=34161

Quote:
I'd love to join just to run mid-ohio and the glen but making it to tech in advance might be tough. Many ///M cars at their events? most of my P-car friends are serious ///M haters.

Thanks
I'd like to think we are very open with all marques, particularly with BMW and Audi. Generally we have half-dozen to a dozen ///Ms showing up in our events, I am personally trying to increase that level of participation.

We have good and close relations with the BMWCCA NCC, they run our skid pad sessions, several of their instructors participate with us and few of our instructors, like me, track their ///Ms. I would be more than surprised if you feel out of place in any way frankly.

Additionally, I am one of the official Greeters for our events. If participants are new to DE or running with the club, we guide them so they feel welcome and don't get lost on track or in between all the rules; I am one of the first people you would come to see in the morning (6:45 am), so I can make sure everything you need is in order and you are ready for the event without anxiety

I would also high recommend you don't miss our first Summit Point event, it would be great to get your feet wet with us
FTS, thanks for all this info. I'll be at the summit point school weekend after next. Do you also have skid pad sessions at these events ?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #10
m3pilot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I hear you

I have some thoughts, hopefully we'll get the chance to chat about it later on sometime
Cool! PM me when you get a chance. I'm happy to help out.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #11
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
FTS, thanks for all this info. I'll be at the summit point school weekend after next. Do you also have skid pad sessions at these events ?
Excellent, I was hoping you would. Yes we most generally do, unless there is a scheduling conflict with our BMWCCA instructors. Also it is not mandatory, which really means you can do skid pad as many time as you want to
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
Mortis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Excellent, I was hoping you would. Yes we most generally do, unless there is a scheduling conflict with our BMWCCA instructors. Also it is not mandatory, which really means you can do skid pad as many time as you want to
That's fantastic, thanks, and look forward to possibly meeting you out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

In case anyone needs it, the 2015 tech form is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 215 PCA_PotomacTechForm.pdf (189.4 KB, 811 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

As an M owner I can attest that the Founders Region is very open to M cars. You get zero comments, etc. They are a great group to run with

I look forward to running with you guys at the Glen in June!
Appreciate 1